Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points 20:35 - May 1 with 1373 viewsTheDailyTractor

Does anyone know or have a rough idea about brightons wages and budget? Saw Hughton say they didn't have the biggest of budgets but just brought the "right players" at the "right time". When you think about it most of there squad from 2 years back when they finished just above the drop zone is still there.

I'm just sick of this stupid mentality that you need masses amounts of money to win promotion. Yes yoy need more than previous years but it doesnt just stop at cheque book. Teams like Huddersfield didn't spend masses, but got there players very early on in the summer, bedded them in, went on holiday came back and cracked on. Some of Fulhams players haven't cost them masses of money. I guess my point is we just never get it right. We wait too long to offer contracts, too long to decide who we want to keep, we dither when it comes to offers and we are pants when it comes to terms.

On a side note I've renewed. I have nothing against anyone who has or hasn't. I wouldn't blame you either way, because we have been utter rubbish but it's so difficult to say no when it comes to the team you love. Im dreading next season for the pure and simple reason it's going to be like walking into a library. But as a club our "own goals" just don't stop. Overpriced catering which is nothing short of a disgrace at times, little to no entertainment at half time or before the game, ticket offers that just make no sense (£10 at home to Burton on a Tuesday night) , diabolical season ticket prices and the cherry on the top; waste of time comments from our MD who clearly doesn't quite see where the fans are coming from ("just see the Newcastle game").

Also how long is thus pricing review that evans is making going to take (milnes comments on life's a pitch), because to me it's easy. I'd like to strongly suggest to some people that if the ST were at a cheaper price and money WAS made available in the summer (actually showing the fans intent) people would Renew. You wouldn't have to rely on stupid discounts if a certain amount is sold. Heard milne make an excuse for Huddersfields cheap ST's. May you be interested to see how many Bradford have sold for next season among other teams with affordable and fair prices?

Finally I still think there is a massive divide between fans and the club and they have absolutely no one to blame but themselves. No answers to simple questions and hide and seek from the owner. Show us your intent evans. No pointless 5 point plan. No average "paper over the cracks" pre season message in the first programme of the season. It's great to hear you turning up to the odd game but what do you really think? The saddest thing of all is well do actually have a manager capable of getting out this league. He's just not had "all" the tools availiable to succeed.

Those fans that HAVE and HAVEN'T renewed deserve better. 16 years in the championship. Appalling.
A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:40 - May 1 with 1345 viewsitfcjoe

"We wait too long to offer contracts, too long to decide who we want to keep, we dither when it comes to offers and we are pants when it comes to terms."

But does that all not come back to budget though? We try and do everything so tightly that we don't get things tied down early as we never make an offer too good to refuse etc.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:43 - May 1 with 1325 viewsElderGrizzly

They have lost about £40m over the last two seasons and wage budget is near £25m i believe, about £8m more than us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38251262 - link to last season's losses

So a bit chalk and cheese :)
[Post edited 1 May 2017 20:44]
A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:45 - May 1 with 1311 viewsSteve_M

Brighton have been spending somewhere between £20 and £30m a season, they have a smaller budget than the relegated clubs but have hardly done promotion on the cheap. Fulham are in their third year of parachute payments having made a complete mess of the first two seasons.

Huddersfield have been good this season but still spent a few million on players; that hard thing is not managing one good season on a relatively low budget, it's sustaining that. Something we signally failed to do after 2014-15. Every comparison of wage bills to league position shows a pretty clear correlation.

Derby do - hilariously - continue to demonstrate that money isn't everything and the travails of certain clubs with parachute payments this season have also been amusing, but it's becoming increasingly clear that money now counts in this division as much as in the Premier League, perhaps more so given the disparities.

Of greater frustration is that when we did have a comparative financial advantage just after Evans took over we wasted it with abysmal spending and poor management. Since then, I'm not sure Evans really knows what he wants from the club - he is still seemingly labouring under the illusion that what MM achieved relative to budget in 14-15 can be achieved as the norm.
[Post edited 1 May 2017 20:58]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:55 - May 1 with 1277 viewsunstableblue

I still think Brighton have a pretty big wage bill, and those who still seem content with Mick, rightly point out that we now have one of the lowest playing budgets in the league.

I think squad investment is the major factor in our very serious predicament. But I still you need to take a long hard look at the managers system, style, motivational capability and decisions.

The football we play consistently is really missing some basics like movement, options, numbers forward, we seem to isolate full backs, disconnect deeper midfield and forward players, and barely hit the by line.

Newcastle we had energy and movement against a team out together at great cost. We took the game to an in form Leeds.

Decisions like Rotherham were you actually damage youth by bringing them into a wholesale changed team, and kill momentum.

I won't go back to PR under Mick. Saturday was the last straw. It makes me angry seeing my beloved team so poorly set-up; and good players like kenlock, McGoldrick, Huws and yes chambo (now he's back in the middle) having their talents wasted.

But the BIG point I'd like to make in relation to Brighton is they've had consistency in their team as they've progressed. We sound like we're going back to the drawing board this summer. And that really shows how much we have failed to progress, and why it is time for change.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:56 - May 1 with 1268 viewsElderGrizzly

A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:45 - May 1 by Steve_M

Brighton have been spending somewhere between £20 and £30m a season, they have a smaller budget than the relegated clubs but have hardly done promotion on the cheap. Fulham are in their third year of parachute payments having made a complete mess of the first two seasons.

Huddersfield have been good this season but still spent a few million on players; that hard thing is not managing one good season on a relatively low budget, it's sustaining that. Something we signally failed to do after 2014-15. Every comparison of wage bills to league position shows a pretty clear correlation.

Derby do - hilariously - continue to demonstrate that money isn't everything and the travails of certain clubs with parachute payments this season have also been amusing, but it's becoming increasingly clear that money now counts in this division as much as in the Premier League, perhaps more so given the disparities.

Of greater frustration is that when we did have a comparative financial advantage just after Evans took over we wasted it with abysmal spending and poor management. Since then, I'm not sure Evans really knows what he wants from the club - he is still seemingly labouring under the illusion that what MM achieved relative to budget in 14-15 can be achieved as the norm.
[Post edited 1 May 2017 20:58]

Yep, Derby are always the best example of money not working. Forest added into that too recently.

To the OP, Fulham aren't doing it on a shoestring, as Swiss Ramble's report on us points out

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html
A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 21:05 - May 1 with 1232 viewsgroovyASH

A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 20:56 - May 1 by ElderGrizzly

Yep, Derby are always the best example of money not working. Forest added into that too recently.

To the OP, Fulham aren't doing it on a shoestring, as Swiss Ramble's report on us points out

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html

I suppose the frustration of a lot of fans is that, if ME backed MM in the same way he backed PJ/ RK, we'd likely see more effective results.

M,M would be more trustworthy with his backing than either of those two, or the regimes in charge of buying/ managing wages at Forest and, to a lesser extent, Derby

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

A question about not being competitive due to our budget amongst other points on 21:35 - May 1 with 1159 viewsRegencyBlue

"I'm just sick of this stupid mentality that you need masses amounts of money to win promotion"

As Derby prove time and time again spending large amounts of money is no guarantee of success but, and its a big but, spending virtually nothing by comparison isn't working out so well for us either!

To even stand still in the Championship Evans is going to have to spend more this summer than he has for the last four years or else we will be staring relegation in the face, next season or the one after that. The cracks are beginning to show after years of under investment in our squad, its as simple as that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024