Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pogbas transfer & the agents take 06:46 - May 11 with 4067 viewsNo9

This cannot be good for football
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/fifa-paul-pogba-ethics-chiefs-e
Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 07:37 - May 11 with 3994 viewsTractorWood

Over the last 3/4 years Man United have overpaid for players as they've tried to buy their way out of the Fergie transition, in the same period Juve have ensured​ they are selling when player's stock is at its highest. It seems all parties knew the agent was acting for all 3 parties so I'm not sure what can happen other than a change in the rules going forward.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 8:55]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 08:01 - May 11 with 3969 viewshomer_123

Has this sort of thing come as a revelation to you then?

It's neither anything new or for that matter that different from any other major transfer dealing in the last 15 to 20 years.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 08:03 - May 11 with 3972 viewsbritbiker

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 07:37 - May 11 by TractorWood

Over the last 3/4 years Man United have overpaid for players as they've tried to buy their way out of the Fergie transition, in the same period Juve have ensured​ they are selling when player's stock is at its highest. It seems all parties knew the agent was acting for all 3 parties so I'm not sure what can happen other than a change in the rules going forward.

Just as disgusting if ibrahimovich is on £360.000 per week. Tell me soccer isn't ruined. And the owners will still complain when the next bug team goes into administration.
Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:12 - May 11 with 3903 viewsBasuco

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 08:03 - May 11 by britbiker

Just as disgusting if ibrahimovich is on £360.000 per week. Tell me soccer isn't ruined. And the owners will still complain when the next bug team goes into administration.

Ibrahimovich also has a goal bonus of £60,000, so it is £420,000 a week if he scores.
Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:17 - May 11 with 3897 viewsWD19

Tevez is apparently on £615k a week in China. Ronaldo turned down £1.65m per week.

The Premier League will decide it is morally wrong and demand something is done when the boot is on the other foot....which is not far away.
Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:38 - May 11 with 3885 viewsStenvict

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:12 - May 11 by Basuco

Ibrahimovich also has a goal bonus of £60,000, so it is £420,000 a week if he scores.

Do all footballers get an appearance fee too?

If so, that just takes the p1ss.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:39 - May 11 with 3884 viewschicoazul

Who cares how much money they earn?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:48 - May 11 with 3876 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 09:39 - May 11 by chicoazul

Ibrahimovic earns double in one day than I do in in a whole year.

Fair play to him, If I was offered that I wouldn't be too upset.. Still, it's a bit frustrating knowing that purely from a jealousy point of view.
Login to get fewer ads

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 10:01 - May 11 with 3857 viewsScuzzer

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 07:37 - May 11 by TractorWood

It's no just Man U....Man City are just as bad. How much did they pay for that waste of space Stirling?

Established 1968

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 10:28 - May 11 with 3838 viewsGuthrum

Us, when even ordinary Championship players and League One prospects become unaffordable because they're demanding £20k to £40k per week (£1m to £2m per year) with commensurate signing on fees and compensation if they don't fit/are out of form/constantly injured/can't be bothered and leave.

Skews the entire marketplace, particularly given the artificial funding structures in play (parachute payments).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 10:44 - May 11 with 3817 viewsBent_double

Wow. Really?

I'll just refer you to Guthrums reply above...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:14 - May 11 with 3802 viewschicoazul

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 10:28 - May 11 by Guthrum

Us, when even ordinary Championship players and League One prospects become unaffordable because they're demanding £20k to £40k per week (£1m to £2m per year) with commensurate signing on fees and compensation if they don't fit/are out of form/constantly injured/can't be bothered and leave.

Skews the entire marketplace, particularly given the artificial funding structures in play (parachute payments).

What footballers earn is completely irrelevant. Theyre footballers.
No League One footballer is on 40k a week. Hardly any Championship footballers are on a third of that.
If you think footballers being paid less would make your ticket cheaper you're wrong.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:21 - May 11 with 3786 viewsWD19

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:14 - May 11 by chicoazul

No League One footballer is on 40k a week. Hardly any Championship footballers are on a third of that.
If you think footballers being paid less would make your ticket cheaper you're wrong.

Championship clubs spend more than 100% of their TO on wages.

If the wages came down it would do no harm to ticket prices.

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:27 - May 11 with 3781 viewsGuthrum

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:14 - May 11 by chicoazul

Those are transfer expectations, not what the players are on in L1. Is it not significant that Emyr Huws, a Cardiff reserve player, had to take a pay cut to come on loan to Town? How many strikers in this division are on less than £20k?

Player wages are the largest element of most football clubs' outgoings, frequently consuming around 100% of turnover. If that were not the case, owners not having to find £5m a season just to break even, then there would indeed be no necessity for ticket prices to be so high. More importantly, there would be genuine competition, rather than artificial wealth imbalance.

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:28 - May 11 with 3780 viewschicoazul

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:21 - May 11 by WD19

Championship clubs spend more than 100% of their TO on wages.

If the wages came down it would do no harm to ticket prices.

Do you really believe your ticket would come down if the club paid people less?

Was there some price reduction on tickets that I missed when our wage bill was 8m or so in the season before Evans arrived? Has there been some huge hike since?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:30 - May 11 with 3767 viewschicoazul

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:27 - May 11 by Guthrum

Those are transfer expectations, not what the players are on in L1. Is it not significant that Emyr Huws, a Cardiff reserve player, had to take a pay cut to come on loan to Town? How many strikers in this division are on less than £20k?

Player wages are the largest element of most football clubs' outgoings, frequently consuming around 100% of turnover. If that were not the case, owners not having to find £5m a season just to break even, then there would indeed be no necessity for ticket prices to be so high. More importantly, there would be genuine competition, rather than artificial wealth imbalance.

Do you really, honestly believe that the guy we are linked right now with the Swindon captain wants 40k a week????

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:39 - May 11 with 3737 viewsWD19

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:28 - May 11 by chicoazul

Do you really believe your ticket would come down if the club paid people less?

Was there some price reduction on tickets that I missed when our wage bill was 8m or so in the season before Evans arrived? Has there been some huge hike since?

Yes, I do.

I am going only from memory, but I think a walk up ticket for the North stand was about £12 in 1995. That is £22 in todays money.

Given that Town spend over 100% of their TO on wages it is no surprise there is upward pressure on the tickets.
Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:42 - May 11 with 3724 viewschicoazul

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:39 - May 11 by WD19

Yes, I do.

I am going only from memory, but I think a walk up ticket for the North stand was about £12 in 1995. That is £22 in todays money.

Given that Town spend over 100% of their TO on wages it is no surprise there is upward pressure on the tickets.

Yeah mate, i'm not talking about 22 years ago am I.

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:42 - May 11 with 3725 viewsGuthrum

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:30 - May 11 by chicoazul

Do you really, honestly believe that the guy we are linked right now with the Swindon captain wants 40k a week????

He may want £10k - but then he's not a sought-after young striker, who might command twice that. It would still be another £0.5m on the wage bill, plus signing on fee.

Several of the players brought into places like Derby and Villa are believed to be on wages in the region of £40k, in the middle reaches of the Championship!

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:45 - May 11 with 3718 viewschicoazul

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:42 - May 11 by Guthrum

He may want £10k - but then he's not a sought-after young striker, who might command twice that. It would still be another £0.5m on the wage bill, plus signing on fee.

Several of the players brought into places like Derby and Villa are believed to be on wages in the region of £40k, in the middle reaches of the Championship!

If you think a defender from a club who just got relegated to L2 will want 10k to sign for us or any other Championship club then there really is no point in me talking about this anymore.

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:46 - May 11 with 3713 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:42 - May 11 by Guthrum

You might find that clubs like Bolton, Leeds, Sheff Utd, Charlton, Coventry have had players on close to 40k a week whilst in L1 (and possibly Blackburn next season)

The trickle down effect is pretty obvious as I doubt that the average wage bill across the EFL has ever been higher
Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:47 - May 11 with 3707 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 10:01 - May 11 by Scuzzer

It's no just Man U....Man City are just as bad. How much did they pay for that waste of space Stirling?

Interesting that you've singled Sterling out there, rather than say, John Stones who has so far offered much less

Why is he a waste of space?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:54 - May 11 with 3696 viewschicoazul

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 10:01 - May 11 by Scuzzer

Sterling got 6 assists and scored 7 goals this season and has played in pretty much every league game for City this year. It's almost as if.....

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 12:08 - May 11 with 3679 viewsGuthrum

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 11:45 - May 11 by chicoazul

If you think a defender from a club who just got relegated to L2 will want 10k to sign for us or any other Championship club then there really is no point in me talking about this anymore.

In 2015-16, the ITFC wage bill was £16.57m. Let's say 20% of that goes on the coaching side, leaving £13.26m. There were 40 players on the books (including some youths who only ever sat on the bench, known low earners like Alabi and the injured Bishop). That gives an average wage of £330k per year, or £6.4k per week.

The more senior playing staff - such as an experienced captain of his former club, Player of the Season for the first two years running after promotion back to L1 - are going to expect reasonably above that.

Clubs with parachute money or free-spending owners are going to offer more again, if they really want him. I bet QPR will do, if they're really interested.

Pogbas transfer & the agents take on 12:14 - May 11 with 3672 viewsfeelingblue

It is the wrong argument. The question should be why should an agent take that much out of the game, and how can an agent be paid by all three parties in a transaction. That in my opinion is corrupt, as well as bad for football.
I believe that I am right in saying that in the NBA, and NFL, and agent can only be paid by the player he is representing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024