Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bit of a wake up call yesterday 13:09 - Aug 5 with 2187 viewsitfcjoe

Which I think is a good thing as some fans were getting a bit ahead of themselves. This year is a transition between Mick and Hurst and will take all season to get squad right, and players to work out how Hurst wants to play and to get up to fitness levels required.

I thought it was a good game though, think Hurst got a couple of things wrong - notably the decision to play Donacien at CB and the balance in midfield, but he made good subs and was positive.

We were stuck in worst of both worlds yesterday though - the players we are selling are effectively unavailable and the players we are buying aren't in the door yet! I think we'll have 4 in by next week and they are needed badly.

I'm so happy we got that late goal, really allowed us to keep some of the positivity that has been building - a defeat could have made things feel a bit flat and put a fair bit of pressure on results next week.

Was very impressed with Edwards, you could tell after 45 minutes at Crawley he was going to be a very good signing and can't wait to see him develop here. Chalobah had an up and down game but was really encouraged by that performance - does some stuff so well that looking forward to his development over next few games.

Donacien looked lost at CB, but grew into it more at RB (although his throw ins are Diallo-esque). Edun looked very good, but had fresh legs against a tiring team so hard to judge too much - similar to Ben Morris's very impressive little cameo.

Think we needed more craft in the midfield and was disappointed not to see Dozzell get on.

Overall though, a positive start and look forward to seeing where we go from here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:14 - Aug 5 with 2134 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah I agree with all that.

On the Dozzell not coming on thing I’d imagine that was more down to Hurst being forced into using one of his subs.

The 2 he made through choice were effective.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 13:21]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:17 - Aug 5 with 2114 viewsKeaneish

I don't think it'll take us all season to get right or gel but agree with all that too. Chalobah more ups than downs though. Exciting player.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:19 - Aug 5 with 2088 viewsitfcjoe

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:14 - Aug 5 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah I agree with all that.

On the Dozzell not coming on thing I’d imagine that was more down to Hurst being forced into using one of his subs.

The 2 he made through choice were effective.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 13:21]

Yep, the injury affected things for sure.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:25 - Aug 5 with 2045 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agree with your conclusions but not how you’ve reached them. Yes it’s a transition, yes some are getting ahead of themselves (can’t blame us, the change has been a breath of fresh air). But it won’t take a season for Hurst to get his message across nor for fitness. Weeks at the most. Any shortfalls beyond that will simply down to a lack of quality. Hurst can only do so much by gelling a team; we still need a good sprinkling of quality across the park if we’re to do anything.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bit of a wake up call yesterdayil on 13:25 - Aug 5 with 2046 viewsSuperfrans

Agree on every point,

We will have a better idea next Saturday what we have to play with and what is likely to be Hurst’s starting XI.

In a month, the team shape will be coming together, we’ll have partnerships beginning to develop and familiarity growing (which was sorely missing and our main flaw yesterday imho).

By January, I can see us jettisoning a few more players, seeing a few more come in.

The key over that period is not getting overly panicked, sticking with the plan, and having faith in Hurst. So many of the signs are positive. He’ll be a good manager for us, given time.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:26 - Aug 5 with 2034 viewsstrikalite

Hurst talked about that balance between experience and youth or/and inexperience in this very demanding league, still think we desperately need(even on loan)someone solid to partner Chambers at centre back, a wise experience head and a leader, Roy Keane used to bang on about leaders, right now we have one in Chambers and possibly Skuse..
Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:28 - Aug 5 with 2003 viewsMaySixth

Harrison looked overawed but early days

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 14:18 - Aug 5 with 1866 viewsCoco

Agree with that Joe. It was a bit of a muddle yesterday as we are in the midst of the first transition phase. Hurst’s long term plan will hopefully start to come clear through the fog. I think it’s the buzz of finally having a plan to get behind that the fans are excited about rather than any lofty expectations. It was iust hard to make sense of any plan yesterday as it’s early day, like you’ve mentioned.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Login to get fewer ads

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 14:27 - Aug 5 with 1817 viewsDarth_Koont

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:28 - Aug 5 by MaySixth

He was one of my highlights yesterday. Despite getting absolutely nothing to work with he kept working his socks off and making the Blackburn defence stay on their toes.

He'll have better days when the team behind him uses the ball far better but great we have a player who is always going to take care of the ugly stuff.

Pronouns: He/Him

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 14:31 - Aug 5 with 1802 viewsSomethingBlue

Yes, agree on all points. The frustration was that the main mistakes you identify — Donacien at CB and the midfield balance — looked fairly clear before the start but this entire process is going to be iterative and there will be plenty more bumps in the road. I'd be very surprised if we saw those 11 players ever start together again. Really important that we got something out of it against a side that kicked, snarled and smothered us so well — we should only get better from here and the encouragement is that, as Hurst said, we did look the fitter side. Edwards and Harrison in particular put in phenomenal shifts.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 14:37 - Aug 5 with 1754 viewsSomethingBlue

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 13:28 - Aug 5 by MaySixth

He looked like a player who had to feed off absolutely nothing. He'll be fine.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 16:00 - Aug 5 with 1589 viewsSteve_M

Yes, agree with that. I was going to post something similar about what Hurst got wrong but you've beaten me to it. On the plus side, it probably meant Wolfenden felt under less pressure when he did come on, he did enough to let Hurst knows he's ready to step up for the odd match.

I also felt that we lost a lot of the structure as soon as Blackburn equalised and didn't really regain that until the substitutions in the second half. That will probably become less of an issue as players become more familiar with it but we were frustrating and disjointed at times.

I've just seen the clip of the equaliser that Sitters posted, it sounds nearly as loud on there as it felt at the time. A draw is ok from yesterday, anything we can pick up now will help give Hurst the time he needs.

It's really important that Evan gets this week right too, he has to back Hurst properly here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 16:30 - Aug 5 with 1494 viewsPhilTWTD

Bit of a wake up call yesterday on 16:00 - Aug 5 by Steve_M

Yes, agree with that. I was going to post something similar about what Hurst got wrong but you've beaten me to it. On the plus side, it probably meant Wolfenden felt under less pressure when he did come on, he did enough to let Hurst knows he's ready to step up for the odd match.

I also felt that we lost a lot of the structure as soon as Blackburn equalised and didn't really regain that until the substitutions in the second half. That will probably become less of an issue as players become more familiar with it but we were frustrating and disjointed at times.

I've just seen the clip of the equaliser that Sitters posted, it sounds nearly as loud on there as it felt at the time. A draw is ok from yesterday, anything we can pick up now will help give Hurst the time he needs.

It's really important that Evan gets this week right too, he has to back Hurst properly here.

I think it was difficult for PH to start Woolfenden after his West Ham performance and agree it probably worked in his favour coming off the bench and we did look less shaky at the back when he was on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024