Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just leaving this here 10:55 - Jan 23 with 1710 viewsKeno

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-busin

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Just leaving this here on 10:58 - Jan 23 with 1685 viewsWD19

Speaking as a Remain voter, I did note that nobody was quite so keen to leave the Nissan story here.
Just leaving this here on 10:59 - Jan 23 with 1672 viewsfooters

Just make Swiss cheese then. You'll soon make money back.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Just leaving this here on 11:01 - Jan 23 with 1667 viewsWD19

Just leaving this here on 10:59 - Jan 23 by footers

Just make Swiss cheese then. You'll soon make money back.

I can see some potential holes in your argument.....
Just leaving this here on 11:01 - Jan 23 with 1666 viewsHerbivore

Just leaving this here on 10:58 - Jan 23 by WD19

Speaking as a Remain voter, I did note that nobody was quite so keen to leave the Nissan story here.

When an example of the status quo being maintained is being treated as positive news it does rather highlight what a catastrophuck Brexit is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just leaving this here on 11:01 - Jan 23 with 1665 viewsKeno

it was posted yesterday to which I added ''datsun good news for a change'

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Just leaving this here on 11:04 - Jan 23 with 1647 viewsDanTheMan

I did have a look at that and thought "well I guess that's a bonus" before remembering they were given quite a substantial sum of money by the Government not to leave.

Which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

The article I read was rather light on the details of why it was better as well. It said it had removed tariffs for batteries but I fail to see why there would have been tariffs in the first place.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Just leaving this here on 11:05 - Jan 23 with 1638 viewsWD19

Just leaving this here on 11:01 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

When an example of the status quo being maintained is being treated as positive news it does rather highlight what a catastrophuck Brexit is.

It wasn't. As I understand it there is additional investment in battery production being moved to Sunderland (from Asia) a direct result of the terms of the EU/UK trade deal requiring production of things being sold in the EU by the UK to be either in the the UK or EU.
Just leaving this here on 11:05 - Jan 23 with 1629 viewsEdwardStone

They need Divine Intervention

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"
Login to get fewer ads

Just leaving this here on 11:06 - Jan 23 with 1626 viewsHerbivore

Just leaving this here on 11:05 - Jan 23 by WD19

It wasn't. As I understand it there is additional investment in battery production being moved to Sunderland (from Asia) a direct result of the terms of the EU/UK trade deal requiring production of things being sold in the EU by the UK to be either in the the UK or EU.

Which presumably they would also have done had we remained in the EU, except without the preceding 2 years of uncertainty.

Just leaving this here on 11:07 - Jan 23 with 1613 viewsWD19

Just leaving this here on 11:06 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Which presumably they would also have done had we remained in the EU, except without the preceding 2 years of uncertainty.

It wasn't a requirement previously. There is absolutely no way of knowing if they would have done it anyway (and to what extend government subsidies have been helpful).
Just leaving this here on 11:12 - Jan 23 with 1603 viewsSwansea_Blue

““Our business had high hopes of continued growth in the EU market, after seeing the avoidance of the no-deal and announcement of a free trade deal.”

Yet another one of these companies that doesn’t seem to have had a clue about what was being proposed. It’s surprising that companies like this didn’t put some effort into finding out what was at risk.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2021 11:13]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just leaving this here on 11:15 - Jan 23 with 1588 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just leaving this here on 11:04 - Jan 23 by DanTheMan

I did have a look at that and thought "well I guess that's a bonus" before remembering they were given quite a substantial sum of money by the Government not to leave.

Which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

The article I read was rather light on the details of why it was better as well. It said it had removed tariffs for batteries but I fail to see why there would have been tariffs in the first place.

Oh, they’re staying are they. I missed that, but that has to be good news for the people of Sunderland (I assume it’s Sunderland). Chucking loads of money at them to retain the status quo isn’t exactly a ring endorsement. But we were throwing public money at car makers already, so I suppose that not much has changed in that regard.

Just leaving this here on 11:16 - Jan 23 with 1585 viewsHerbivore

Just leaving this here on 11:07 - Jan 23 by WD19

It wasn't a requirement previously. There is absolutely no way of knowing if they would have done it anyway (and to what extend government subsidies have been helpful).

So hardly a resounding success story that can be directly attributed to us leaving the EU then.

Just leaving this here on 11:17 - Jan 23 with 1584 viewspointofblue

Just leaving this here on 11:12 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

““Our business had high hopes of continued growth in the EU market, after seeing the avoidance of the no-deal and announcement of a free trade deal.”

Yet another one of these companies that doesn’t seem to have had a clue about what was being proposed. It’s surprising that companies like this didn’t put some effort into finding out what was at risk.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2021 11:13]

To be fair, it says later in the article that he voted Remain; he was just hoping to make the most of a bad result.

The more time goes on the more I wish that, at worse, the Conservatives had let May get on with it on her terms, something which was, understandably, barely said at the time.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Just leaving this here on 11:21 - Jan 23 with 1575 viewsBlueBadger

Just leaving this here on 11:17 - Jan 23 by pointofblue

To be fair, it says later in the article that he voted Remain; he was just hoping to make the most of a bad result.

The more time goes on the more I wish that, at worse, the Conservatives had let May get on with it on her terms, something which was, understandably, barely said at the time.

She was a divisive as the rest of her party. This issue, like the pandemic should have been an issue for cross-party working. Instead, out brought out the worst in all the parliamentary parties.

The Tories doubled down on crass xenophobia and empty posturing, Labour on infighting about pointless fringe issues and the Lib Dems seeming to want to deny their own irrelevance.

And that's before we get to the DUP wanting to be able to continue safeguarding their own backwards legislation regarding gay rights, access to abortion, etc and the Scots Nats being unable to recognise the inherent contradiction of being in favour of remaining in one political union that benefitted them and leaving another political union that benefits them

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just leaving this here on 11:23 - Jan 23 with 1570 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just leaving this here on 11:17 - Jan 23 by pointofblue

I wasn’t really thinking about their Brexit position. More just the lack of awareness of the likely risks. I’d be wanting to know exactly what was at stake and planning accordingly, rather than just hoping that things might go better. Just seems a strange way of going about their business planning the EU was a big chunk of their business.

I might be reading far too much into a throw away remark of course!

Just leaving this here on 11:23 - Jan 23 with 1566 viewsWD19

Just leaving this here on 11:16 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

So hardly a resounding success story that can be directly attributed to us leaving the EU then.

True, people will inevitably view it in whatever way suits their prejudices.
Just leaving this here on 11:26 - Jan 23 with 1562 viewspointofblue

Just leaving this here on 11:23 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

I wasn’t really thinking about their Brexit position. More just the lack of awareness of the likely risks. I’d be wanting to know exactly what was at stake and planning accordingly, rather than just hoping that things might go better. Just seems a strange way of going about their business planning the EU was a big chunk of their business.

I might be reading far too much into a throw away remark of course!

Ah, sorry. I assume they were planning for it all going wrong, hence they had the French strategy up their sleeves? I presume they must have already looked at benefits and costs for the move to know that is now the better option.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Just leaving this here on 12:14 - Jan 23 with 1528 viewsmarcus1642

When I voted leave, I did consider there would be short term problems with trade with the EU. It's very early days with regard to leaving the EU. Simply a case of evolving and adapting.
Just leaving this here on 13:26 - Jan 23 with 1474 viewsfactual_blue

Just leaving this here on 12:14 - Jan 23 by marcus1642

When I voted leave, I did consider there would be short term problems with trade with the EU. It's very early days with regard to leaving the EU. Simply a case of evolving and adapting.

It's over a year now.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just leaving this here on 13:36 - Jan 23 with 1465 viewsHerbivore

If you are indeed being truthful then it sounds like you're a sharp cookie and recognised that Vote Leave and other Brexit campaigns were lying about ongoing seamless trade with the EU and unfettered access to the Single Market. That being the case, once you'd realised they were lying about that did you not start to wonder what else they might be lying to you about and what their motivations really were?

Just leaving this here on 14:06 - Jan 23 with 1431 viewsjeera

That's really big of you.

So you'll be backing yourself and putting your hand in your pocket and helping out these firms who are losing money hand over fist then like a good chap?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just leaving this here on 18:26 - Jan 23 with 1381 viewsBlueBadger

What are the long term gains to be had?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just leaving this here on 18:48 - Jan 23 with 1340 viewsjeera

Just leaving this here on 18:26 - Jan 23 by BlueBadger

What are the long term gains to be had?

"Simply a case of evolving and adapting" silly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024