Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... 10:29 - Jun 15 with 4471 viewsOriginalMarkyP

...by champ clubs I think we need to be seeing a landmark signing ASAP.

These are two of our best players. If not our actual two best players.

We've brought in 2 players who can do a job at this level (we all believe). But we've also let go several who we believed just as strongly could do a job when they came in.

I'm not counting Harper as a landmark signing (if we get him) just because he's from West Brom. Bennetts was from a better, bigger club than West Brom, similar age, probably was on considerably more money and was absolute dross. So 'big' club does not ensure 'big' player. And let's be honest none of us know anything much about him, and opinion of him on the WBA messageboards is at best mixed.

We need something to get the momentum going.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 10:30]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:30 - Jun 15 with 2926 viewsArnieM

I wonder if the departure 9f players such as AD and Downes were required before we’d make a def8nate move for much better players , as regards wages etc

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

[Redacted] on 10:34 - Jun 15 with 2877 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:36 - Jun 15 with 2848 viewsjayessess

We need players full stop. As it stands we're starting pre-season in 9 days. Currently on the books we have a maximum of 8 first team players the manager might think OK for some sort of role.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:37 - Jun 15 with 2833 viewsStokieBlue

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:36 - Jun 15 by jayessess

We need players full stop. As it stands we're starting pre-season in 9 days. Currently on the books we have a maximum of 8 first team players the manager might think OK for some sort of role.

Where did the date of the 24th June come from? Listening to a podcast last night it sounded like most aren't back training properly until July?

We do need some more bodies though.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:38 - Jun 15 with 2820 viewschrismakin

There won't be a landmark signing, there will be a selection of good, league 1 experienced prime aged players coming in alongside some fresh high potential players - Harper being one of these.

Brom's message board about Harper is no different to this one about Dozzell, all players have mixed thoughts when they are linked with a move away from the club.

I would say, the two players you mention both appear to want out of the club anyway.

Harper alongside Evans is certainly a upgrade on a downes/Dozzell combo imo.
I would keep Downes if it were possible, but I think he's mind has been made up for 18 months.

Also, people are expecting a better transfer window than previous and it needs to be, this means signing better players, some who are not out of contract, so there will be delays in that process.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 10:45]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:41 - Jun 15 with 2760 viewsTractorCam

Two best players who in the last three seasons have finished 24th in the Championship and then 9th and 11th in League One.

This is hardly like when we lost Waghorn and Garner.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:41 - Jun 15 with 2758 viewsjayessess

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:37 - Jun 15 by StokieBlue

Where did the date of the 24th June come from? Listening to a podcast last night it sounded like most aren't back training properly until July?

SB

could've sworn I saw 24th somewhere, might be wrong though!

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:42 - Jun 15 with 2729 viewsLankHenners

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:41 - Jun 15 by jayessess

Andy Rolls said 26th is the official first day back for pre-season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:44 - Jun 15 with 2715 viewsSWGF

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:41 - Jun 15 by jayessess

26th. As per, Andy Rolls.

Rolls: There’s a Change Happening and They Want to Get on the Bus Early 11th Jun 2021 18:38
New director of performance Andy Rolls has been explaining his role at the club and outlining what the players can expect from pre-season training, which starts on Saturday 26th June. 24

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:44 - Jun 15 with 2707 viewsStokieBlue

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:44 - Jun 15 by SWGF

26th. As per, Andy Rolls.

Rolls: There’s a Change Happening and They Want to Get on the Bus Early 11th Jun 2021 18:38
New director of performance Andy Rolls has been explaining his role at the club and outlining what the players can expect from pre-season training, which starts on Saturday 26th June. 24

Cool, thanks.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:45 - Jun 15 with 2684 viewsSWGF

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:44 - Jun 15 by StokieBlue

Cool, thanks.

SB

Hopefully a busy 11 days.....

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:48 - Jun 15 with 2630 viewsCoastalblue

I'd much rather we took our time and got the right people in than a bunch of quick punts. We have to trust that with the structure we now have in place and are putting in place people actually know what they're doing, strange sensation I know!

I'm not too concerned at all, I'm confident we start next season with a far stronger team and club than we've had in some time.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:50 - Jun 15 with 2604 viewsSwansea_Blue

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:30 - Jun 15 by ArnieM

I wonder if the departure 9f players such as AD and Downes were required before we’d make a def8nate move for much better players , as regards wages etc

People are going to be in for a shock if they are thinking we'll get much better players than those two. By definition that would mean decent championship quality players, and those won't be coming here.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:55 - Jun 15 with 2549 viewschrismakin

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:50 - Jun 15 by Swansea_Blue

People are going to be in for a shock if they are thinking we'll get much better players than those two. By definition that would mean decent championship quality players, and those won't be coming here.

I disagree, both players experience has been at league 1 level, we don't know how they will get on in the league above.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:56 - Jun 15 with 2546 viewsjayessess

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:48 - Jun 15 by Coastalblue

I'd much rather we took our time and got the right people in than a bunch of quick punts. We have to trust that with the structure we now have in place and are putting in place people actually know what they're doing, strange sensation I know!

I'm not too concerned at all, I'm confident we start next season with a far stronger team and club than we've had in some time.

The personnel isn't the only important element though, is it? We're supposed to be using pre-season to drill players into a specified style of play and conditioning. Having half of them show up late July isn't going to cut it.

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:02 - Jun 15 with 2483 viewsWallingford_Boy

I do agree.

The players that have come in so far, can do a decent job at Lge 1 level, Harper may be a step up, but nothing to really get excited about.

Same sort of level as Downes and Dozzell at best, think its time to get in an older head or two, players that have been there and done it.

About 32, best days behind them, but a really coup for Lge 1.

Or am I being a bit unrealistic?

RIP Sir Bobby

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:03 - Jun 15 with 2449 viewschrismakin

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:02 - Jun 15 by Wallingford_Boy

I do agree.

The players that have come in so far, can do a decent job at Lge 1 level, Harper may be a step up, but nothing to really get excited about.

Same sort of level as Downes and Dozzell at best, think its time to get in an older head or two, players that have been there and done it.

can't see us signing anyone over 30

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:07 - Jun 15 with 2404 viewsSwansea_Blue

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:55 - Jun 15 by chrismakin

I disagree, both players experience has been at league 1 level, we don't know how they will get on in the league above.

Downes was one of our best players in the relegation season and our young player of the year in the season before.

Dozzell didn't pull up any trees in the Championship, yet still looked good at times. I'd argue this year has been pivotal to his development and that he's more than good enough to step back up to that leve. But we'll see.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:08 - Jun 15 with 2410 viewsNazemariner

I have to say i'm a little bit worried at this point.

It has been reported, and is now apparent, that should we receive a reasonable offer for any player it will be accepted. With that i mind i would not be at all suprised to see the departure of Downes, Woolfenden, Dobra, Norwood, or anyone for that matter.

To date we have made one signing of reasonable pedigree, and another of whom we have high expectations. We have no defenders, no wide players, and only one striker of any worth.

Can we really expect to add 6, 7 or 8 new players to the first 11, and get them playing well enough together to sustain a promotion push, or are we accepting of a year or two of rebuilding.

A lot can happen between now and the start of the season, but as it stands i'm not full of confidence.
With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:10 - Jun 15 with 2373 viewsSitfcB

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:37 - Jun 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Paul Cook said six weeks before the first game.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:10 - Jun 15 with 2376 viewsFixed_It

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:02 - Jun 15 by Wallingford_Boy

I do agree.

Like an Alan Judge?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:11 - Jun 15 with 2357 viewstractorboy1978

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 10:50 - Jun 15 by Swansea_Blue

It's not necessarily about improved quality, it's about bringing in players that have the attributes and can do what Cook wants them to. Downes is a shame because I think he really fits but he's wanted out for a year or so now. As I posted in another thread, Dozzell cannot and will never be able to play the way Cook wants his two to play in a 4-2-3-1.
With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:14 - Jun 15 with 2315 viewschrismakin

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:07 - Jun 15 by Swansea_Blue

Downes was one of our best players in the relegation season and our young player of the year in the season before.

Dozzell didn't pull up any trees in the Championship, yet still looked good at times. I'd argue this year has been pivotal to his development and that he's more than good enough to step back up to that leve. But we'll see.

Downes was on loan to Luton the year before relegation, but yes played 30 games in the season we got relegated.

The rest is all league 1. Hence my point in that his experiences are mainly being league 1,
Dozzell made 21 appearences in the relegation season the rest again League 1

I do believe they are talented players, as yet though they have yet to prove anything to say that they will be missed at ITFC.

I will add i like and rate both... BUT i don't think either of them want to be here and I dont think we can force them to be so it's best they go.

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:17 - Jun 15 with 2262 viewsKropotkin123

So... We need a landmark signing because a young player leaves for a championship club. But Harper doesn't count, because he is a young player joining from a Championship club... Got it.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

[Redacted] on 11:26 - Jun 15 with 2190 viewsvictorywilhappen

With Dozzell gone...and Downes being looked at... on 11:08 - Jun 15 by Nazemariner

I have to say i'm a little bit worried at this point.

It has been reported, and is now apparent, that should we receive a reasonable offer for any player it will be accepted. With that i mind i would not be at all suprised to see the departure of Downes, Woolfenden, Dobra, Norwood, or anyone for that matter.

To date we have made one signing of reasonable pedigree, and another of whom we have high expectations. We have no defenders, no wide players, and only one striker of any worth.

Can we really expect to add 6, 7 or 8 new players to the first 11, and get them playing well enough together to sustain a promotion push, or are we accepting of a year or two of rebuilding.

A lot can happen between now and the start of the season, but as it stands i'm not full of confidence.

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024