Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! 21:17 - Dec 9 with 1299 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/09/markets-think-omicron-plan-b-wi

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 21:37 - Dec 9 with 1220 viewsfooters

When even the most hawkish member of the BoE disagrees with you, it's probably a good time to stop attempting to analyse central bank decisions.

Just sayin'.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 21:39 - Dec 9 with 1215 viewsCotty

What would raising them achieve? Inflation is not currently being driven by the cost of debt.
Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:21 - Dec 10 with 1032 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 21:39 - Dec 9 by Cotty

What would raising them achieve? Inflation is not currently being driven by the cost of debt.

Once upon a time having savings and not debt to infinity was a good thing.

Edit....debt furthermore which encourages rampant consumerism and the continued degradation of our planet.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:26]

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:23 - Dec 10 with 1028 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 21:37 - Dec 9 by footers

When even the most hawkish member of the BoE disagrees with you, it's probably a good time to stop attempting to analyse central bank decisions.

Just sayin'.

You happy with the continuing artificial inflation of housing prices Footers?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:28 - Dec 10 with 1008 viewsmikeybloo88

We don't want any decisions which slow down growth in equities. I can live with pitiful interest rates on 5% of my wealth as long as the rest continues to steam ahead at 20%
Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:29 - Dec 10 with 1005 viewsStokieBlue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:23 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

You happy with the continuing artificial inflation of housing prices Footers?

I doubt he is but many of your posts seem to be willing policies which will almost certainly result in many people defaulting on their houses. It's worth noting that house prices were growing just as quickly when interest rates were far higher.

What you advocate might well cause a crash which might be good for many but it's not going to be so good for the people who no longer have places to live. Even those who don't default are going to be stuck in negative equity so they are unlikely to sell if they can afford the payments so it's not even likely to bring much housing stock back onto the markets.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:42 - Dec 10 with 995 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:29 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

I doubt he is but many of your posts seem to be willing policies which will almost certainly result in many people defaulting on their houses. It's worth noting that house prices were growing just as quickly when interest rates were far higher.

What you advocate might well cause a crash which might be good for many but it's not going to be so good for the people who no longer have places to live. Even those who don't default are going to be stuck in negative equity so they are unlikely to sell if they can afford the payments so it's not even likely to bring much housing stock back onto the markets.

SB

A reckoning has to come in order to end the madness. Inflation/stagflation appears to disproportionately affect those at the bottom of the food chain currently paying inflated rents for better off people's pension funds so tough titty I reckon.

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:51 - Dec 10 with 978 viewsStokieBlue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:42 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

A reckoning has to come in order to end the madness. Inflation/stagflation appears to disproportionately affect those at the bottom of the food chain currently paying inflated rents for better off people's pension funds so tough titty I reckon.

Your anger seems to be directed in the wrong place, surely measures targeting landlords would be more appropriate if your gripe is with renters being fleeced rather than actively seeking policies which would result in hardship for millions of families.

It's easy to call for a "reckoning" when it's going to only be beneficial to ones self.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:55 - Dec 10 with 961 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:51 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

Your anger seems to be directed in the wrong place, surely measures targeting landlords would be more appropriate if your gripe is with renters being fleeced rather than actively seeking policies which would result in hardship for millions of families.

It's easy to call for a "reckoning" when it's going to only be beneficial to ones self.

SB

By ones self do you mean the majority?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:57 - Dec 10 with 947 viewsStokieBlue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:55 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

No, I meant what I said.

At this stage, raising interest rates is unlikely to be beneficial to the majority. I doubt many are sitting on vast savings which will benefit.

Once again, why are you championing raising interest rates rather than measures to reel in landlords and excessive rents if, as you said, that is where you feel the problem is?

SB

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:00 - Dec 10 with 933 viewslowhouseblue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:55 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

using interest rates to address housing inequality really is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. any fall in prices will be hugely out-weighed by rising mortgage costs and negative equity. you seem to want a crisis for the sake of a crisis or to make some point.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 10:02]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:12 - Dec 10 with 903 viewsCotty

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:21 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Once upon a time having savings and not debt to infinity was a good thing.

Edit....debt furthermore which encourages rampant consumerism and the continued degradation of our planet.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:26]

That didn't really answer the question. Upping interest rates for savers would of course have an inflationary effect.

I agree that the system is not working for the planet. But the fundamental problem is that there are too many of us, and not enough of us care enough to change anything about how we live. Not sure that's got much to do with interest rates.
Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:41 - Dec 10 with 867 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 09:57 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

No, I meant what I said.

At this stage, raising interest rates is unlikely to be beneficial to the majority. I doubt many are sitting on vast savings which will benefit.

Once again, why are you championing raising interest rates rather than measures to reel in landlords and excessive rents if, as you said, that is where you feel the problem is?

SB

Will try to address this when not working but for now, what is it about keeping interest rates at effectively 0 that appeals to you?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:46 - Dec 10 with 851 viewsStokieBlue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:41 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Will try to address this when not working but for now, what is it about keeping interest rates at effectively 0 that appeals to you?

I've not said it's appealing and I'd prefer you didn't put words into my mouth.

I am however living in the real world and I've covered the reasoning in previous posts, I suggest you go back and take another look when time allows.

SB

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:47 - Dec 10 with 845 viewschicoazul

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:12 - Dec 10 by Cotty

That didn't really answer the question. Upping interest rates for savers would of course have an inflationary effect.

I agree that the system is not working for the planet. But the fundamental problem is that there are too many of us, and not enough of us care enough to change anything about how we live. Not sure that's got much to do with interest rates.

Over population is a neo fascist myth. The problem is too few people have too many of the resources.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:53 - Dec 10 with 821 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:46 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

I've not said it's appealing and I'd prefer you didn't put words into my mouth.

I am however living in the real world and I've covered the reasoning in previous posts, I suggest you go back and take another look when time allows.

SB

Can you explain the 'real world' thinking then even if it is not yours...is it about making buying stuff more attractive?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:55 - Dec 10 with 806 viewsStokieBlue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:53 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can you explain the 'real world' thinking then even if it is not yours...is it about making buying stuff more attractive?

I've covered it all above, it's all pretty clear.

SB

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 11:31 - Dec 10 with 765 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 10:55 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

I've covered it all above, it's all pretty clear.

SB

You think a minimal rise in interest rates will push significant numbers into negative equity and or default?

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 11:43 - Dec 10 with 733 viewsStokieBlue

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 11:31 - Dec 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

You think a minimal rise in interest rates will push significant numbers into negative equity and or default?

How would a minimal rise in interest rates achieve any of the things you've listed as desirable?

It wouldn't, the rise would need to be significant and that would most certainly lead to housing defaults.

SB

Any excuse not to raise interest rates...! on 12:14 - Dec 10 with 698 viewsgiant_stow

I've got some sympathy with what you want mr. Cheap debt has definitely made things worse for the less well off or non-home owners. Not sure I want a big old crash in prices as that will bring huge suffering too. what a bind.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024