Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment 11:20 - Apr 13 with 2646 viewsNewsTWTD

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment 13th Apr 2023 11:16
TWTD understands Town have approached the relevant authorities regarding the appointment of referee James Bell for Saturday’s home game against Charlton Athletic. 27

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:25 - Apr 13 with 2279 viewsTalkingBlues

It's right that we raise this, but as I posted on news comment, this has all the makings of spectacularly backfiring on us.

EFL are a joke.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2023 11:26]

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:41 - Apr 13 with 2202 viewsportmanking

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:25 - Apr 13 by TalkingBlues

It's right that we raise this, but as I posted on news comment, this has all the makings of spectacularly backfiring on us.

EFL are a joke.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2023 11:26]

Quit being so frigging negative.

You're making it into something it's not. If another ref makes a bad error, so be it, it wouldn't be the first time.

This is about having a 100% neutral referee to ensure the focus is on the 11 Town players and not one man in the black.
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:57 - Apr 13 with 2138 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:41 - Apr 13 by portmanking

Quit being so frigging negative.

You're making it into something it's not. If another ref makes a bad error, so be it, it wouldn't be the first time.

This is about having a 100% neutral referee to ensure the focus is on the 11 Town players and not one man in the black.

Nothing negative, simply pointing out that the EFL are extremely unlikely to change the ref, but what this will have done now, is garnered plenty of public attention and no doubt that of the ref in question, which will likely make our position worse than if we'd said nothing at all.

I don't think he should be in charge of the game, but this is the EFL, who are a joke.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:58 - Apr 13 with 2143 viewsPioneerBlue

I would like to know if he raised this himself beforehand, if not why not since it is at a minimum a perceived conflict which any professional should seek to avoid.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:00 - Apr 13 with 2125 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:58 - Apr 13 by PioneerBlue

I would like to know if he raised this himself beforehand, if not why not since it is at a minimum a perceived conflict which any professional should seek to avoid.

You'd think ref's would be asked who they support as part of their appointment, thus allowing potential conflicts like this to be managed before it becomes an issue, but again, this is the EFL we are talking about, pure comedy.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:11 - Apr 13 with 2089 viewsFrimleyBlue

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 11:57 - Apr 13 by TalkingBlues

Nothing negative, simply pointing out that the EFL are extremely unlikely to change the ref, but what this will have done now, is garnered plenty of public attention and no doubt that of the ref in question, which will likely make our position worse than if we'd said nothing at all.

I don't think he should be in charge of the game, but this is the EFL, who are a joke.

TB

It's likely the ref will be changed. All clubs can apply to change the refs if they feel there is cause for concern.
For the safety of the ref too it would be better to change him now it's public that he's a Wednesday fan.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:12 - Apr 13 with 2090 viewsGlasgowBlue

Knowing our luck they will replace him with Darren Drysdale or the exhumed corpse of Clive Thomas.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:32 - Apr 13 with 1982 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:11 - Apr 13 by FrimleyBlue

TB

It's likely the ref will be changed. All clubs can apply to change the refs if they feel there is cause for concern.
For the safety of the ref too it would be better to change him now it's public that he's a Wednesday fan.

Is there a regulation that allows for clubs to officially apply for a change of referee? Plenty of channels to provide feedback about a ref's performance, but unsure that any framework exists to allow clubs to contest who is appointed? If there was, I'd imagine it would be overwhelmed and we'd never see a game played.

Pretty sure the EFL will respond and say that all referees are impartial and this one's no different, game will continue with appointed ref, but I am happy to be wrong.

Login to get fewer ads

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:33 - Apr 13 with 1980 viewsJ2BLUE

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:32 - Apr 13 by TalkingBlues

Is there a regulation that allows for clubs to officially apply for a change of referee? Plenty of channels to provide feedback about a ref's performance, but unsure that any framework exists to allow clubs to contest who is appointed? If there was, I'd imagine it would be overwhelmed and we'd never see a game played.

Pretty sure the EFL will respond and say that all referees are impartial and this one's no different, game will continue with appointed ref, but I am happy to be wrong.

You likely will be wrong. Don't let that stop you whinging though, god forbid you miss out on a chance to be negative.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:38 - Apr 13 with 1944 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:33 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

You likely will be wrong. Don't let that stop you whinging though, god forbid you miss out on a chance to be negative.

Go eat some lunch, you sound hangry

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:38 - Apr 13 with 1943 viewsFrimleyBlue

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:32 - Apr 13 by TalkingBlues

Had a quick look but couldn't find one specifically.

I do remember at our level couple years back that one was changed a couple days before as he was a local fan if a rival club and there were forms completed before he was removed from the game.

Interestingly I found this tho.. makes you think tho if they knew of the team he supports.. why they don't think it matters

Appointments are made by the Professional Game Match Officials Board. They take into account several factors, including the referee’s overall experience, their current form, how often they have refereed the clubs involved, which team the referee supports and any forthcoming international appointments

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:41 - Apr 13 with 1906 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:38 - Apr 13 by FrimleyBlue

Had a quick look but couldn't find one specifically.

I do remember at our level couple years back that one was changed a couple days before as he was a local fan if a rival club and there were forms completed before he was removed from the game.

Interestingly I found this tho.. makes you think tho if they knew of the team he supports.. why they don't think it matters

Appointments are made by the Professional Game Match Officials Board. They take into account several factors, including the referee’s overall experience, their current form, how often they have refereed the clubs involved, which team the referee supports and any forthcoming international appointments

PGMOL up to their usual vetting standards then, or something more insidious? Likely to be the former, but who knows, it is a game that involves a lot of backhanders.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:41 - Apr 13 with 1914 viewsAsa

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:00 - Apr 13 by TalkingBlues

You'd think ref's would be asked who they support as part of their appointment, thus allowing potential conflicts like this to be managed before it becomes an issue, but again, this is the EFL we are talking about, pure comedy.

They are asked.

So the EFL have managed to keep him off Wednesday and United games but there should obviously be a manual check in place on a week by week basis looking for obvious stuff like this.

It's very embarrassing on their part. Which is why I wouldn't be at all shocked if the EFL doubled down on it!
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:46 - Apr 13 with 1858 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:41 - Apr 13 by Asa

They are asked.

So the EFL have managed to keep him off Wednesday and United games but there should obviously be a manual check in place on a week by week basis looking for obvious stuff like this.

It's very embarrassing on their part. Which is why I wouldn't be at all shocked if the EFL doubled down on it!

That's what worries me, they seek to make a point about their authority, rather than review and accept what appears to be a valid question about the appointment of official. Their handling of the "that Oxford game" where they basically called both managers liars, does not fill me with confidence with regard to their willingness to listen to clubs.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:48 - Apr 13 with 1831 viewsJ2BLUE

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:38 - Apr 13 by TalkingBlues

Go eat some lunch, you sound hangry

Nah just low tolerance for idiots. I assumed you were a troll after your comical overreaction on Monday but clearly not.

Truly impaired.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:50 - Apr 13 with 1812 viewsTalkingBlues

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:48 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

Nah just low tolerance for idiots. I assumed you were a troll after your comical overreaction on Monday but clearly not.

Oh well, you can't be everyone's friend, don't worry I won't hold it against you.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 13:21 - Apr 13 with 1685 viewsbobbyramsey

Surely if this is the case then he shouldn't be allowed to officiate at any game in League 1 as every game has an effect on every team.
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 15:16 - Apr 13 with 1452 viewstextbackup

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 13:21 - Apr 13 by bobbyramsey

Surely if this is the case then he shouldn't be allowed to officiate at any game in League 1 as every game has an effect on every team.

You know that’s not true.

But someone sat in the EFL office should be sat there with a list of refs, games, and the league table… and cross ref multiple things. It’s easy really isn’t it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 15:19 - Apr 13 with 1448 viewsJ2BLUE

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 13:21 - Apr 13 by bobbyramsey

What difference would him reffing Lincoln vs Port Vale make?

Truly impaired.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 17:28 - Apr 13 with 1243 viewsbobbyramsey

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 15:19 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

What difference would him reffing Lincoln vs Port Vale make?

Apologies I’m talking pollacks again……..
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 20:48 - Apr 13 with 1022 viewsTractorWood

But more importantly what musings are there on Owlstalk?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

This is my favourite comment..... on 20:54 - Apr 13 with 989 viewsBloots

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 20:48 - Apr 13 by TractorWood

But more importantly what musings are there on Owlstalk?

....in response to Phil's story:

"Exactly how influential does this FAN FORUM think it is?

According to this 'article' Ipswich hadn't noticed anything was amiss until the mighty TWTD heroically stepped in like a Panorama investigative reporter to inform them of this monumental injustice."

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 21:03 - Apr 13 with 954 viewsBluesky

Rightly or wrongly I have emailed the EFL (since we have been fed both their Twitter account and email address). I said

Re Ipswich Town V Charlton 15 April 2023
I wish to protest in the strongest terms against the appointment of a self confessed Sheffield Wednesday supporter to referee this game on Saturday.

Regardless of Mr Bell's undoubted intention to remain professionally impartial it is absurd for the EFL to have placed him in such a position. Even the slightest contentious
decision (and we know how likely that is in any game of football) will bring the threat of vigorous criticism aimed at both the EFL and the gentleman himself.

Why would you ever dream of courting such a scenario?

Mr Bell's support for Sheffield Wednesday is on record. That fact cannot be ignored, The significance of either team dropping even a single point given the current position between the top three teams is obvious and I cannot see how the EFL can avoid ridicule whatever the reult on saturday. The referee's impartiality will be in question whichever way the result falls.

Please change the allocation of officials for this game.

Thank you for your attention
Regards
Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 21:08 - Apr 13 with 929 viewsfarkenhell

Town Approach Authorities Regarding Bell Appointment on 12:12 - Apr 13 by GlasgowBlue

Knowing our luck they will replace him with Darren Drysdale or the exhumed corpse of Clive Thomas.

Clive b@stard Thomas has not yet met his maker, although we can be sure that when he does, Sir Bob and The Beat will be waiting for him at the pearly gates with a warm welcome!
This is my favourite comment..... on 21:34 - Apr 13 with 861 viewsfarkenhell

This is my favourite comment..... on 20:54 - Apr 13 by Bloots

....in response to Phil's story:

"Exactly how influential does this FAN FORUM think it is?

According to this 'article' Ipswich hadn't noticed anything was amiss until the mighty TWTD heroically stepped in like a Panorama investigative reporter to inform them of this monumental injustice."

Apart from one or two notable exceptions, the rest of the thickards in that thread really don't get it.

To any watching owl - the point is, the ref not only needs to be impartial, he/she must also be seen to be impartial.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024