Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leicester ask to speak to McKenna 12:38 - Jun 8 with 24986 viewsUppaTowen78

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 11056 viewsthe_toff

Doesn't look the most reliable of sources.
Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 11049 viewsHerbivore

That account looks legit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 11050 viewsIllinoisblue

In the same way I’ve asked to speak to Kylie Minogue.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 11046 viewsBlueandTruesince82

If this happens it could ruin a friendship

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 12:51 - Jun 8 with 10819 viewsBlueBadger

Looks even less legit than FLW, Nison and May Sixth.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:11 - Jun 8 with 10498 viewsArnieM

He’s under contract so they can “ ask” all they like , I doubt it will happen. Hardly a step up for him is it !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:21 - Jun 8 with 10345 viewsnoggin

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 12:40 - Jun 8 by Illinoisblue

In the same way I’ve asked to speak to Kylie Minogue.

You should be so lucky.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:21 - Jun 8 with 10360 viewsBig_Jase

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:11 - Jun 8 by ArnieM

He’s under contract so they can “ ask” all they like , I doubt it will happen. Hardly a step up for him is it !

Come on let’s be realistic. It’s a massive step up, to a team who has won the Premier League & FA cup all within the last 10 years and a team that has regularly been in Europe. They have probably the best training facilities in the UK and parachute payments for the next 3 years. They are clear favourites to straight back up for me.

He could get a big contract that would increase upon promotion, Premier League managers get paid 5-6million a year at a club that level.

It’s not the 1970/80’s anymore, Leicester are a far bigger pull than Ipswich is. If we want to keep McKenna we need to properly fund a promotion push in the Championship, and that’s not going to come cheap.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2023 13:29]

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Login to get fewer ads

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:23 - Jun 8 with 10303 viewsthe_toff

What do contracts really mean though? It would come down to whether he wanted to leave or not, at that point the contract just gets us more money for him.

Not saying there's any truth in this story by the way. I think he'll be our manager this season, but there will almost certainly come a time when a bigger club comes in for him and he does feel its right.
Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:27 - Jun 8 with 10218 viewsN2_Blue

Hardly a step up?

I get you’re a biased fan but you can’t seriously believe that. I don’t think he would go there, especially on the back of a relegation but they will still have some very good players and bigger budget than we will have. They’ve won the two biggest competitions in England within the last 10 years. It’s a step up but hopefully McKenna sees that step up being us over the next 12 months. Leicester could be anything from basket case to convincing divisional winners, that’s the risk any incoming manager takes, a risk McKenna doesn’t really need to take at this stage so I’m not personally worried.

Celtic more of a concern for me.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:27 - Jun 8 with 10207 viewspennblue

I imagine it would be a difficult decision for him. But as football managers you do have to choose wisely, you can very quickly become out of favour and the statistics are stacked against you as a manager. Even with us last season, we only sneaked in above Sheff Wed through an incredible run, if we had not made it, and failed in the play offs, the view of McKenna would be very different right now.

It is far easier to be considered a failure or a bit 'meh' than it is to become a messiah. Moving if things are going well, is a risky thing to do, especially if momentum is with you. Look what has happened to Graham Potter, that was not a wise move at all, may never get a crack at a top club again.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:29 - Jun 8 with 10181 viewsArnieM

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:21 - Jun 8 by Big_Jase

Come on let’s be realistic. It’s a massive step up, to a team who has won the Premier League & FA cup all within the last 10 years and a team that has regularly been in Europe. They have probably the best training facilities in the UK and parachute payments for the next 3 years. They are clear favourites to straight back up for me.

He could get a big contract that would increase upon promotion, Premier League managers get paid 5-6million a year at a club that level.

It’s not the 1970/80’s anymore, Leicester are a far bigger pull than Ipswich is. If we want to keep McKenna we need to properly fund a promotion push in the Championship, and that’s not going to come cheap.

Not from where I’m standing it isn’t. They’re not in good shape and just because they win the PL 2 yrs ago doesn’t suddenly make them “ massive”. They’re going to lose all their so called better players. The atmosphere there is probably on the floor. McK has total support here and can do what he likes . He has a really good infrastructure supporting him . Who’s to say that’s the case at Leicester? Why would he walk away from a project he and Ashton snd the owners are clearly joined at the hip about bringing it to fruition. Sorry I just can’t see it happening snd certainly not to a club like Leicester.

I would add , I’m not naive enough to ignore the potential loss of McK . He’s clearly a cut above and his stick has risen massively in his time here. Clubs will come sniffing round. But, ITFC , MA, and the owners are not mugs. They would ( have?) done all they can to avoid losing him. In the end it comes down to the man himself . I’d say he’d be quite picky about his next move . Leicester wouldn’t be top of my list ( especially if bigger clubs are also interested). But whilst I acknowledge money talks . It’s not always about money, and out of all the managers Town have ever had Id put McK right at the top for a person with morals, and a sense of what’s “right”. I can’t put it into words I’m afraid but I hope you know what I’m trying to say. I think McK is s very measured snd analytical person in life generally, not just re football.

We shall see. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed eh !
[Post edited 8 Jun 2023 13:37]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:30 - Jun 8 with 10138 viewsKeno

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:21 - Jun 8 by noggin

You should be so lucky.

just pit yourself in huis place

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:32 - Jun 8 with 10119 viewsBseaBlue

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:29 - Jun 8 by ArnieM

Not from where I’m standing it isn’t. They’re not in good shape and just because they win the PL 2 yrs ago doesn’t suddenly make them “ massive”. They’re going to lose all their so called better players. The atmosphere there is probably on the floor. McK has total support here and can do what he likes . He has a really good infrastructure supporting him . Who’s to say that’s the case at Leicester? Why would he walk away from a project he and Ashton snd the owners are clearly joined at the hip about bringing it to fruition. Sorry I just can’t see it happening snd certainly not to a club like Leicester.

I would add , I’m not naive enough to ignore the potential loss of McK . He’s clearly a cut above and his stick has risen massively in his time here. Clubs will come sniffing round. But, ITFC , MA, and the owners are not mugs. They would ( have?) done all they can to avoid losing him. In the end it comes down to the man himself . I’d say he’d be quite picky about his next move . Leicester wouldn’t be top of my list ( especially if bigger clubs are also interested). But whilst I acknowledge money talks . It’s not always about money, and out of all the managers Town have ever had Id put McK right at the top for a person with morals, and a sense of what’s “right”. I can’t put it into words I’m afraid but I hope you know what I’m trying to say. I think McK is s very measured snd analytical person in life generally, not just re football.

I can think of several million reasons why you are wrong........Sadly, everything to do with football now comes down to money. They would be offering him a significant salary and although they might lose plenty of players, that will provide large sums on top of the parachute payments for investment.

I reckon he bites their hand off if they want him.
Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:38 - Jun 8 with 10031 viewsTheBoyBlue

McKenna strikes me as someone who thinks carefully about his career trajectory and what will be best for him long-term, rather than taking a quick step up for money or status.

He'll be aware that he'll get far less time to settle in at Championship level here than at Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, etc.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:39 - Jun 8 with 10002 viewsBig_Jase

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:29 - Jun 8 by ArnieM

They are going to lose a lot of players, but generate best part of £100m from selling Maddison & Barnes.

Top that off with parachute payments, and I don’t think the owner is as poor as people are making out. He’s still a billionaire.

If I was McKenna I’d snap their hands off. We have been a L1 club for 5 years and not been in the top division for over 20 years, Leicester are a much bigger club than us at present, I know that hard for you to accept, but that’s the truth.

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:42 - Jun 8 with 9936 viewsIllinoisblue

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:21 - Jun 8 by Big_Jase

“Regularly been in Europe” is a bit of a stretch.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:44 - Jun 8 with 9931 viewsitfcjoe

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:39 - Jun 8 by Big_Jase

They are going to lose a lot of players, but generate best part of £100m from selling Maddison & Barnes.

Top that off with parachute payments, and I don’t think the owner is as poor as people are making out. He’s still a billionaire.

If I was McKenna I’d snap their hands off. We have been a L1 club for 5 years and not been in the top division for over 20 years, Leicester are a much bigger club than us at present, I know that hard for you to accept, but that’s the truth.

Look at next seasons odds for promotion - Leicester are currently favourites, even without a manager in place! They are where we want to be in reality, and if they went hard after McKenna it would be very difficult for him to say no.

Hopefully they don't, and hopefully we can show him why he should stay here

I don't envisage him going this summer, but a big play from a Leicester, Leeds or Celtic would make it very difficult to keep him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:44 - Jun 8 with 9906 viewsBig_Jase

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:42 - Jun 8 by Illinoisblue

“Regularly been in Europe” is a bit of a stretch.

3 seasons in the past 6 is a lot more regular than a lot of other clubs to be honest, but fair enough. Everything else stands for me.

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:48 - Jun 8 with 9798 viewsBig_Jase

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:44 - Jun 8 by itfcjoe

Look at next seasons odds for promotion - Leicester are currently favourites, even without a manager in place! They are where we want to be in reality, and if they went hard after McKenna it would be very difficult for him to say no.

I don't envisage him going this summer, but a big play from a Leicester, Leeds or Celtic would make it very difficult to keep him

Completely agree.

If I was McKenna I’d be looking at the likes of Liam Manning, who started last season as one of the brightest managerial prospects in the country and linked with lots of clubs. Fast forward a year he’s been sacked by MK Dons and just about kept Oxford United up in League One.

I know none of us want McKenna to leave, but we can’t fool ourselves that we are a “bigger” club or that Leicester would be a side step.

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:48 - Jun 8 with 9774 viewsWestSussexBlue

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:39 - Jun 8 by Big_Jase

I don’t think it’s about where we’ve been for the past 22 years, it’s about the trajectory of the club now. There is a clear and defined vision with the backing of owners and CEO and currently us and KMc are a perfect fit.
I don’t see why McKenna would move at this point until a club with a better vision, goal and fit became available to him.
Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:54 - Jun 8 with 9650 viewsSkip_Intro

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:44 - Jun 8 by itfcjoe

Very good points to be fair
However I think that he is far more secure here (i.e. if Leicester don't go up he is potentially out of a job in 11 months time), also he would have a lot of rebuilding to do and a financial minefield to contend with in terms of needing to shed most/all of the best players at LCFC. Who knows what impact that will have on dressing room morale etc.
I just don't see why he would leave here when he has all of the toys that he has asked for, as well as fair sized budget to buy even more, a stable and secure job (esp considering the age of his family and the stress of relocating) and has a club that clearly shares his vision (at least short to medium term) and values.
Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 14:06 - Jun 8 with 9459 viewsBig_Jase

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:48 - Jun 8 by WestSussexBlue

I don’t think it’s about where we’ve been for the past 22 years, it’s about the trajectory of the club now. There is a clear and defined vision with the backing of owners and CEO and currently us and KMc are a perfect fit.
I don’t see why McKenna would move at this point until a club with a better vision, goal and fit became available to him.

He only has 2 years left on his deal here. If you can get a 4 year deal out of Leicester with most likely a massive pay rise and plenty of money to spend, it’s a big thing to turn down.

We all think we have money to spend but until we start seeing what sort of transfers we are actually going to bring in at this level, we don’t really know.

Leicester, Leeds & Southampton will have budgets that far surpass Ipswich’s. If you back yourself to get Leicester right (which you would hope any manager worth their salt would), it could progress his career even quicker than it would be at Town. Would be a risk but I think it’s much harder to turn down that people think.

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 14:07 - Jun 8 with 6520 viewsitfcjoe

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 13:54 - Jun 8 by Skip_Intro

Very good points to be fair
However I think that he is far more secure here (i.e. if Leicester don't go up he is potentially out of a job in 11 months time), also he would have a lot of rebuilding to do and a financial minefield to contend with in terms of needing to shed most/all of the best players at LCFC. Who knows what impact that will have on dressing room morale etc.
I just don't see why he would leave here when he has all of the toys that he has asked for, as well as fair sized budget to buy even more, a stable and secure job (esp considering the age of his family and the stress of relocating) and has a club that clearly shares his vision (at least short to medium term) and values.

Whilst Leicester are going to lose a lot of players, they are going to get some serious fees in for them - plus realistically will retain something like this

Daniel Iversen
James Justin
Ricardo Perriera
Jonny Evans
Harry Souttar
Wout Faes
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall
Hamza CHoudroy
Marc Albrighton
Jamie Vardy
Patson Daka

Plus they will be the biggest spenders this summer on fees in this league - yes they'll lose lots but they are brimming with talent still

It won't be an easy job, but you hit the ground running and promoted then all of a sudden you are back in the PL with a top 10 budget and fantastic facilities - how far off that are we?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 14:12 - Jun 8 with 6471 viewsBig_Jase

Leicester ask to speak to McKenna on 14:07 - Jun 8 by itfcjoe

Whilst Leicester are going to lose a lot of players, they are going to get some serious fees in for them - plus realistically will retain something like this

Daniel Iversen
James Justin
Ricardo Perriera
Jonny Evans
Harry Souttar
Wout Faes
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall
Hamza CHoudroy
Marc Albrighton
Jamie Vardy
Patson Daka

Plus they will be the biggest spenders this summer on fees in this league - yes they'll lose lots but they are brimming with talent still

It won't be an easy job, but you hit the ground running and promoted then all of a sudden you are back in the PL with a top 10 budget and fantastic facilities - how far off that are we?

I’d say we are at least 5 years of that, more likely 8-10.

Getting to the PL is one thing, becoming established & having a top 10 budget is a completely different kettle of fish.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024