Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As it’s FA cup final day 08:24 - Jun 3 with 1077 viewsStevieH

Any memories to share…….?

I was only 3. Apparently sat on my dads lap wearing a scarf, watching TV. No recollection whatsoever!
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 9:22]
As it’s FA cup final day on 08:41 - Jun 3 with 1026 viewsPendejo

We lost everything on the day except the match; Mastermind, it's a knockout etc.

The drive down Lloyds Avenue and across Cornhill, car getting showered with champagne

Dad drove out almost to Essex border before driving into Ipswich on A12, lots of people at roadside waiting for THE coach

Cornhill on the Sunday

Didn't go to final despite having been to SF and THAT match at The Den

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

As it’s FA cup final day on 08:47 - Jun 3 with 1021 viewsChurchman

The only peculiar disappointment we had was missing Cup Final day on the tv. Every programme was devoted to it from first thing in the morning to the lifting of the cup. No video or digital recording in those days, no mobiles. See it or miss it. But what a day.

Wembley Way, my team in the FA Cup Final! I couldn’t believe it. I thought at the time ‘drink it all in. Even if we come back one day, it won’t be the same’. The colour and noise. Looking across the end of the stadium then round it and seeing thousands of flags, home made banners, hats, scarves, 99,999 people and me. What a sight.

The roar when the teams came out. Abide with me. Nobody knew the words nobody cared. Emotional doesn’t cover it. The game - we got better and better. Osborne scored. Wrong end, but I was in line when he thumped it in. The place went crazy. I went down the terrace, lost my jacket that was between my feet, the noise! I knew we’d win from there. Everyone did I think.

The oddest moment? The sun reflecting off the trophy when Mills lifted it. I had to look away for a second or two.

Unbridled joy.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 8:49]
As it’s FA cup final day on 09:00 - Jun 3 with 970 viewstrncbluearmy

In the Army at the time travelled from Reading on my 250cc RD,(what a bike)
Couldn't sleep left Arborfield at 5am in the morning, saw Town fans on M4 lord knows where they were coming from, got to Wembley about 7am Town fans already on bridges with flags.
Later climbing steps to entrance saw my Brother and Dad who had travelled from naarwich
My ticket sourced from John Lyall, mate of my old man, was in lower tier, all the boys were in top tier, blagged my way up.
The radio controlled model planes ITFC V arse were great

Then.............game and celebrations, still celebrating!
As it’s FA cup final day on 09:08 - Jun 3 with 959 viewsChurchman

As it’s FA cup final day on 09:00 - Jun 3 by trncbluearmy

In the Army at the time travelled from Reading on my 250cc RD,(what a bike)
Couldn't sleep left Arborfield at 5am in the morning, saw Town fans on M4 lord knows where they were coming from, got to Wembley about 7am Town fans already on bridges with flags.
Later climbing steps to entrance saw my Brother and Dad who had travelled from naarwich
My ticket sourced from John Lyall, mate of my old man, was in lower tier, all the boys were in top tier, blagged my way up.
The radio controlled model planes ITFC V arse were great

Then.............game and celebrations, still celebrating!

I remember those. Unless my memory is completely shot I remember they had streamers, red and blue, and the had a little dogfight to cut the streamers with the propellers.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 9:13]
As it’s FA cup final day on 09:16 - Jun 3 with 932 viewsellaandred

I was there with my late father, and one of the best days of my life.
My dad even bought a blue and white rosette, which was unusual as he never wore any 'colours'. Still have the programme and match tickets.
As an aside I went to the 30th anniversary dinner at the Corn Exchange, so I also have a replica cup final shirt all signed.
Happy Days
As it’s FA cup final day on 09:17 - Jun 3 with 933 viewsArchiRob

My wife was 13 and went and her biggest memory was getting on the wrong coach to come home. It was a coach full of Arsenal fans, but she said they were OK.

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

As it’s FA cup final day on 10:45 - Jun 3 with 838 viewsGuthrum

I was eight years old. Remember I watched it on TV, but not a lot about the match itself. Tho it was one of the roots of my love for ITFC, alongside family and county connections with the town.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024