Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! 13:29 - Jun 19 with 1707 viewsAsa

I saw something on social media over the weekend about the Mandela Effect. Never really been a thing for me as the few things I've seen that people collectively 'remembered' have not been ones I was aware of.

However. Something at the weekend has blown my mind. The song Ms Jackson. I can clearly remember singing it in Maths class. I left school in 1996. This was a regular song that was sung as was the 'I am for real' bit. I asked a few people my age about this when I heard about it. They all said between 94 and 98. So pretty consistent.

The song however was written by Outkast in 2000. This was something else stated as being subject to The Mandela Effect. Fascinated by how I could not only remember singing it in school, but recording it off the charts on a Sunday (Dr Fox) and recording it onto cassette to play in the bedroom in the house I moved out of in 1997, this started to fascinate and confuse me in equal measure.

I like to consider there to be a reasonable and logical explanation for why what seems like a clear memory is seemingly a lie. A cover where I remember the 2000 version? Nope. It's sampled or copied from another song? Nope. Maybe the 'I am for real' bit was some sort of cultural reference that the song copied and it's become muddled up in my brain? Apparently not.

Had a good old look on Google and found lots of people who remember this song from school or college in the 90's, including people who claim to have sung it to a Miss or Mrs Jackson, all before the song was conceived, written or recorded.

So the question is a) anyone else here would have put money on it being early 90's or b) does anyone actually know what it is the world is confusing this memory with as it's vivid as hell and slightly fascinating that, in the absence of time travel, so many people have this memory, myself included!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 13:30]
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:33 - Jun 19 with 1649 viewsKeno

I'm pretty certain, and I'm sure many will agree, that this thread was originally posted about 6 years ago

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:36 - Jun 19 with 1621 viewsitfcjoe

I'd have said around 2001, as it came out when I was working at Tesco with a guy whose surname was Jackson and we used to sing it to him when it was still current

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:37 - Jun 19 with 1608 viewsNthQldITFC

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:33 - Jun 19 by Keno

I'm pretty certain, and I'm sure many will agree, that this thread was originally posted about 6 years ago

POTD (for yesterday).

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:37 - Jun 19 with 1605 viewsAsa

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:33 - Jun 19 by Keno

Well played, Sir.
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:41 - Jun 19 with 1573 viewsAsa

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:36 - Jun 19 by itfcjoe

I'd have said around 2001, as it came out when I was working at Tesco with a guy whose surname was Jackson and we used to sing it to him when it was still current

I don't doubt a lot more people will remember it from the correct time period.

Genuinely fascinated though by how I can, to my mind, clearly remember signing it at school, taping off the radio etc, when I couldn't have.

One thing for me to think a song or film came out much earlier or later than it did, but it feels likes having a memory of watching three seasons that Hassan Kachloul played for us or something now as far as I am concerned. Really quite bizarre and strange to then ask others who were absolutely certain they knew it from a period they couldn't have.
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:42 - Jun 19 with 1566 viewsCaptainAhab

Off topic, but you'd be the same age as me given the dates in this post... you didn't used to play for Kesgrave Utd in your teens did you?

On topic I'd have guessed Ms Jackson came out early 2000s, great tune
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:43 - Jun 19 with 1550 viewsAsa

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:42 - Jun 19 by CaptainAhab

Off topic, but you'd be the same age as me given the dates in this post... you didn't used to play for Kesgrave Utd in your teens did you?

On topic I'd have guessed Ms Jackson came out early 2000s, great tune

I didn't. But I'm expecting a lot of people later on in this thread that will try and convince me that I did!!

I have regularly played Saturday and Sunday football through the years with two people with the same first name, about the same age, so I would imagine it's one of those.

I'd like to think any other parents round here in the late 70's who liked the name that Asa Hartford had soon changed their mind when he moved to Norwich! Too late for me by then.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 13:44]
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:44 - Jun 19 with 1535 viewsthe_toff

Did you write it before Outkast and you're actually due millions in compensation?
Login to get fewer ads

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:46 - Jun 19 with 1486 viewsAsa

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:44 - Jun 19 by the_toff

Did you write it before Outkast and you're actually due millions in compensation?

Given the state of lawsuits around the music industry right now, and the amount of witnesses you can find on the internet that say this was around long before it was written, I'll be part of a class action I think!
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:46 - Jun 19 with 1489 viewsWeWereZombies

Songs get recycled so much, Wikipedia's page on 'Ms. Jackson' suggests that it was in part inspired by 'Strawberry Letter 23', a hit for the Brothers Johnson in 1977 (i.e. twenty fours years before Outkast scored with it) and which was in itself a version of a Shuggie Otis original from 1971. So you may have remembered a similar song, also, how much detention did you get for singing in Maths ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:46 - Jun 19 with 1483 viewsOldsmoker

False memories are not really a TWTD thing.
You need to log on to OTBC and ask them as they are very familiar with false memories of their glory days of European football.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:47 - Jun 19 with 1469 viewsSuperblue95

I always thought of Outkast as an early noughties band so can’t help you there, however I do have my own one of these.

I always thought I could remember the whole OJ Simpson car chase situation as happening when I was about 5. Can remember being in school and it being the talk of the playground, even though none of us had heard of him, but it being all over the news and obviously a major event as he was famous.

Random conversation with my girlfriend a couple of years back led to us talking about it all and her saying she can remembering it happening and everybody talking about it in school too (different schools, different countries) and she reckoned she was about five too.

We were both shocked when we googled it and found out it happened a year before either of us were born. Mind blowing as you say. I even brought it up with a few friends our age and some of them had thought they could remember it happening too.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:49 - Jun 19 with 1441 viewsAsa

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:46 - Jun 19 by WeWereZombies

Songs get recycled so much, Wikipedia's page on 'Ms. Jackson' suggests that it was in part inspired by 'Strawberry Letter 23', a hit for the Brothers Johnson in 1977 (i.e. twenty fours years before Outkast scored with it) and which was in itself a version of a Shuggie Otis original from 1971. So you may have remembered a similar song, also, how much detention did you get for singing in Maths ?

It's got to be something like that. What I find fascinating is the clarity in my brain that it was definitely the Outkast version. It wasn't. Unless the whole of the internet is playing a prank on me, in the same way the whole country has conspired against Boris and his understanding of the lockdown rules.

Our Maths teacher was one of the scariest people I've ever met. So it gives a lot of additional evidence to support I never dared sing a thing in Maths!
One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 14:46 - Jun 19 with 1294 viewsPendejo

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 13:47 - Jun 19 by Superblue95

I always thought of Outkast as an early noughties band so can’t help you there, however I do have my own one of these.

I always thought I could remember the whole OJ Simpson car chase situation as happening when I was about 5. Can remember being in school and it being the talk of the playground, even though none of us had heard of him, but it being all over the news and obviously a major event as he was famous.

Random conversation with my girlfriend a couple of years back led to us talking about it all and her saying she can remembering it happening and everybody talking about it in school too (different schools, different countries) and she reckoned she was about five too.

We were both shocked when we googled it and found out it happened a year before either of us were born. Mind blowing as you say. I even brought it up with a few friends our age and some of them had thought they could remember it happening too.

What you saw aged 5 was probably a TV dramatisation, that made it a fresh memory for you.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 15:54 - Jun 19 with 1184 viewsWeWereZombies

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 14:46 - Jun 19 by Pendejo

What you saw aged 5 was probably a TV dramatisation, that made it a fresh memory for you.

There was a BBC documentary 'O J The Untold Story' in 2000, six years after the murders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dear_(detective)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 16:57 - Jun 19 with 1074 viewsSuperblue95

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 15:54 - Jun 19 by WeWereZombies

There was a BBC documentary 'O J The Untold Story' in 2000, six years after the murders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dear_(detective)

Good spot, I certainly wouldn’t have watched it but likely another kid in the school did and hence the playground chatter about it as that fits perfectly with the timeline previously in my head.

It was more the fact that the others thought the same and had similar memories that was peculiar to me. None of them live in England either so not sure a BBC documentary explains it in their case but the mind is obviously good at playing tricks.

Just a funny coincidence I guess.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 17:32 - Jun 19 with 1054 viewsTrequartista

I was convinced for years that the 1978 FA Cup final song that includes the lyrics "gun those gunners down" was played over the tannoy at the Ipswich v Arsenal season opener in, um, August 1977.

I also remember the "hello, hello, hello, how low" refrain from Smells Like Teen Spirit in a song that predates the Nirvana song, yet SLTS is not a cover.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 17:35]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

One of the resident geniuses here can hopefully settle this for me! on 17:47 - Jun 19 with 1035 viewschicoazul

The Mandela Effect and the Reddit about it are excellent examples of how so many people believe the world revolves around them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024