Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good article 11:03 - Jun 26 with 1031 viewsDarth_Koont

And quite right. The UK’s socio-economic decline has been decades in the making – and we’re still burying our heads in the sand and promoting frankly useless political “alternatives” like Starmer’s status quo-fetishising Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/23/britain-dorian-gray-econom

The comfortable middle classes and their pundits who nodded all this through while they were profiting from it need to wake up and take responsibility.

Pronouns: He/Him

Good article on 11:11 - Jun 26 with 969 viewsJohnTy

I seem to remember A.J.P. Taylor (famous historian always on telly) saying in 1979 that the country faced continued slow decline under Callaghan or fast decline under Thatcher.
Good article on 11:19 - Jun 26 with 939 viewsthebooks

I'd say Chakrabortty is probably our best political journalist at the moment: every article is spot on.

This is good too: https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2023/06/the-joyl
Good article on 11:26 - Jun 26 with 911 viewsNthQldITFC

We need a top to bottom reset with most 'levels' of society accepting and embracing massive change. We're only going downhill from where we are if the self-centred aspirational growth culture continues to be seen as the British way of doing things - "fk everyone else and our children's futures, I want to pile up as much as I can"

Worsening environmental pressures and the inevitable violent social unrest driven by food shortages/prices will make change harder to achieve in the coming decades (or years?), so now is the time for everyone to embrace a fundamental restructuring of our mindsets and socio-economic systems.

If we don't do it now, we'll be losing democracy for an authoritarian 'emergency' dictatorship to cope with the deteriorating situation and then all hope will be lost (and not just for the poor!). UBI and doughnut economics seem to be a sensible place to start for this pleb, but we have to let go of the me, me, me attitude and force it through peacefully and democratically while we still have the chance. And EVERYTHING has to be done with a 'protect the Earth, our life support system, as the first principle' attitude.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Good article on 11:39 - Jun 26 with 869 viewsPrideOfTheEast

It's a good article but it's been so obvious to so many for ages. It's also blindingly obvious that our political system is not fit for purpose in 2023 - we need seismic reform which isn't simply tax the "wealthy" more, fund the NHS more, pay teachers more etc. We need a system that discourages a short-term mindset and promotes a long term view but nobody is going to approach it like that are they. No idea what the answer is but dread to think where we'll be in 10 years.
Good article on 11:41 - Jun 26 with 859 viewsDarth_Koont

Good article on 11:19 - Jun 26 by thebooks

I'd say Chakrabortty is probably our best political journalist at the moment: every article is spot on.

This is good too: https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2023/06/the-joyl

Cheers for that. Although another depressing read.

But bang on about the emptiness and lack of vision/ideas from our political class who seem to see their job as more about representing the political industry and their and others’ vested interests rather than representing people and the interests of the country as a whole. Add in a non-critical media cut from the same cloth and driven by the same narrow interests and we’re fecked for anything approaching progress or justice.

Good article on 11:48 - Jun 26 with 841 viewsDarth_Koont

Good article on 11:39 - Jun 26 by PrideOfTheEast

It's a good article but it's been so obvious to so many for ages. It's also blindingly obvious that our political system is not fit for purpose in 2023 - we need seismic reform which isn't simply tax the "wealthy" more, fund the NHS more, pay teachers more etc. We need a system that discourages a short-term mindset and promotes a long term view but nobody is going to approach it like that are they. No idea what the answer is but dread to think where we'll be in 10 years.

You’re right that “it’s been obvious to so many for ages”. But our mainstream parties and media (plus a worryingly high percentage of the electorate as a result) are still looking the other way.

Instead of dealing with reality we seem increasingly to retreat into the simplistic, comforting stories we tell ourselves. That type of wilful delusion was formerly the preserve of the most deranged Brexiteers but now fully at the heart of our so-called serious and grown-up politics.

Good article on 11:55 - Jun 26 with 815 viewsNthQldITFC

Good article on 11:48 - Jun 26 by Darth_Koont

You’re right that “it’s been obvious to so many for ages”. But our mainstream parties and media (plus a worryingly high percentage of the electorate as a result) are still looking the other way.

Instead of dealing with reality we seem increasingly to retreat into the simplistic, comforting stories we tell ourselves. That type of wilful delusion was formerly the preserve of the most deranged Brexiteers but now fully at the heart of our so-called serious and grown-up politics.

That is very much the root of the problem, and the most important thing that we all have to face up to and accept.

We have to be prepared to share and learn to be far more frugal in order to preserve the society which we all depend upon, rich or poor.

If I could upvote this post a thousand times, I would do so.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Good article on 12:28 - Jun 26 with 715 viewsDJR

This is one effect of the model both parties are committed to. It doesn't suggest a bright future.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/20/uk-economy-in-growth-doom-loop-

EDIT: As regards little difference between either party in challenging the status quo, is it surprising given the leader of the opposition is a knight, and the three main shadow ministers are Oxbridge graduates?
[Post edited 26 Jun 2023 15:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024