Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Window.... 10:51 - Jul 26 with 6183 viewsITFCBlues

What's everyone's views of the window thus far?

I get the impression that we're finding things more difficult than we anticipated. Guess there is a little more money in the market with big sales for Birmingham & Coventry. Bristol City potentially spending a little more with the impending sale of Scott, seems to be making things a little more difficult than anticipated to get deals done.

We've not had a terrible window of course, but we've not been "ruthless" by any means especially when a few more in the know were suggesting there were big players being targeted. Still plenty of time of course - perhaps things will get a little easier towards the end of the window?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Transfer Window.... on 10:54 - Jul 26 with 3608 viewsWeirdFishes

I’d say it’s been good so far, but not ‘great’. Definitely feel we’re targeting players slightly above what we’re able to get I.e Simms.

If we get in another 1 or 2 players who improve what we have I see no reason it can’t be a great window.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Transfer Window.... on 10:56 - Jul 26 with 3584 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Like I posted elsewhere, it all comes down to FFP. Ashton himself mentioned that whilst we might have one of the wealthiest owners it means nothing as we all operate under the same rules.

I think it will take our fans some time to come to terms with having to sell players for profit to compete.

At the moment I think £4m+ transfers are out of the question until player trading happens. We need to pick up calculated bargains for £1-1.5m like we have been.
Transfer Window.... on 11:03 - Jul 26 with 3516 viewsKieran_Knows

Transfer Window.... on 10:54 - Jul 26 by WeirdFishes

I’d say it’s been good so far, but not ‘great’. Definitely feel we’re targeting players slightly above what we’re able to get I.e Simms.

If we get in another 1 or 2 players who improve what we have I see no reason it can’t be a great window.

'Definitely feel we’re targeting players slightly above what we’re able to get I.e Simms.'

I don't think that's particularly the case with Simms. Coventry just went that little bit extra to get him because they knew they had £20m coming in from the sale of the lad to Sporting CP.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Transfer Window.... on 11:04 - Jul 26 with 3497 viewsKieran_Knows

I think it all depends on what our ambitions are for this season. If were happy to just consolidate in this league, then I think the squad as it is now is fine, and would probably finish around mid-table.

If we wanted to make a push for the top 6, I think we'd need to be more ruthless with 3-4 players, and target better players for those positions (i.e Trusty for Burgess).

Transfer Window.... on 11:07 - Jul 26 with 3454 viewsTalkingBlues

Considering our aspirations for promotion, it’s been poor, there’s still time of course, but as has been stated many times McK likes to get players in early, the recruitment team aren’t managing to do that thus far, or get the players targeted by the manager.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 11:08]

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Transfer Window.... on 11:10 - Jul 26 with 3403 viewsSuperblue95

We’re 1 centre back away from adding to every position that people said at the end of last season would need improving, so from that point of view it’s been a decent window.

I wouldn’t have minded someone in the TJJ mould to be an option for any of the forward positions but with Aluko being kept on we don’t have that extra squad space.

We could tinker by bringing in upgrades for the likes of Jackson or Evans but I do wonder if we are going to go with what we have for this season to see how far off a promotion challenging team we are and then really going for it next season.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Transfer Window.... on 11:11 - Jul 26 with 3401 viewstractorboy1978

They won't admit it but I think they will be secretly quite disappointed with how it's gone so far. Still 5 weeks to go though and hopefully players we are waiting on end up coming through the door once other dominoes start falling and squads get finalised.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 11:11]
Transfer Window.... on 11:22 - Jul 26 with 3291 viewscressi

Transfer Window.... on 11:11 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

They won't admit it but I think they will be secretly quite disappointed with how it's gone so far. Still 5 weeks to go though and hopefully players we are waiting on end up coming through the door once other dominoes start falling and squads get finalised.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 11:11]

Personally we are the same team that finished last season yes Hirst is permanent. Jury out on Taylor at moment yes chased him for a long while but my few times I've seen him never really noticed him in games Hutchinson is a youngster who you just don't no what your going to get. Still think 3 top players for this league are needed.
Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Window.... on 11:24 - Jul 26 with 3271 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think the squad as it is, is able to be a solid mid table team and I wouldn't be mad at that tbh.

However, I do think we have probably found this window quite tricky. We need a really strong purchase at Cb

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Transfer Window.... on 11:26 - Jul 26 with 3250 viewsChurchman

There’s nothing wrong with evolution over revolution. I know it’s exciting accumulating new players, but like the thrill of a new manager, it doesn’t always equate to success.

The team has been put together with players too good for L1, as the last 3 months of the season showed. We were not reliant on loanees to get us up or in a number of cases average L1 players. The manager and CEO have been pretty clear on the strategy and I’m more than happy with limited changes this summer. If we were way to good for L1 does that make us too weak for the Championship? I don’t think so.

We brought in four players in January. All of them better than what we had. We’ve signed one of those permanently and brought in a midfielder and a potential talent for the season. I’d love to see in particular a high quality defender come in and being greedy another forward.

But if we go with what we have, fine. The players who did so well last year deserve their chance. They moulded into a real team. I don’t know how well it’ll do, but we are miles ahead of the chaos we saw during Hurst, Lambert, Evans’ time.

In conclusion, the Window has been fine. Another good quality defender in and it’ll be brilliant.
What does that even mean in any practical sense? on 11:29 - Jul 26 with 3231 viewsDyland

Transfer Window.... on 11:07 - Jul 26 by TalkingBlues

Considering our aspirations for promotion, it’s been poor, there’s still time of course, but as has been stated many times McK likes to get players in early, the recruitment team aren’t managing to do that thus far, or get the players targeted by the manager.

In the real world I mean...

"Getting players in early."

Yes yes yes, I know what it literally means, but that is the same for every manager ffs. An old adage in deciphering spin is say the opposite and if it sounds silly then the original comment is vacuous....

McKenna likes to get players in early, whereas Pep, for example, likes to get players in late.

It took two windows to land Hirst (three if we're talking permanent move), three for Taylor. Both long term targets and essential parts of McK's jigsaw.

You can carry on talking this meaningless nonsense if you want though dear boy.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Transfer Window.... on 11:30 - Jul 26 with 3202 viewsJ2BLUE

Prem clubs are still largely on tour and take big squads so I expect we will see plenty of movement in the next fortnight (not necessarily involving us).

No evidence for this but I would imagine the club are way more chilled than many seem to think. We have a very solid base.

The most pressing need is a CB but even with that, I doubt anyone is panicking. If we go into game one with what we have then I will be fairly confident of a good performance. There's plenty of time left at the moment. If we haven't got anyone else by mid August I suspect we might up the offers a bit. I can't see this regime going into a season without the quality we need to at least try and challenge top 6.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Transfer Window.... on 11:33 - Jul 26 with 3172 viewsxrayspecs

It has been as good as we could realistically hope for.

We have got Taylor and Hirst (both £1-2m fees) done early, the leg work for them was done last season.

Slicker looks like a decent long term acquisition and a potential successor to Hladky next season.

Hutchinson has a high ceiling albeit very raw, but we have seen on Saturday and last night that he can add to our attacking options.

What fans need to understand is how the transfer window works. Early window it is free transfers and new contracts to your players. You get some movement in July (we have done well to add four) but the better players tend to become available late in the window once the Prem teams have returned from tours and completed their business.

We are shopping for better players this summer than last summer, so need to understand that these moves take longer, are more complex and happen later in the window.

Last season, we paid two fees for players before the season started. Harness and Davis, who joined days before the season. Ladapo, Ball, Leigh, TJJ were all free agents or loans.

a LCB and potentially another number 9, and we will be good for this window. We can then look at where we upgrade in Jan and next summer.
Agreed on 11:33 - Jul 26 with 3169 viewsDyland

Transfer Window.... on 11:30 - Jul 26 by J2BLUE

Prem clubs are still largely on tour and take big squads so I expect we will see plenty of movement in the next fortnight (not necessarily involving us).

No evidence for this but I would imagine the club are way more chilled than many seem to think. We have a very solid base.

The most pressing need is a CB but even with that, I doubt anyone is panicking. If we go into game one with what we have then I will be fairly confident of a good performance. There's plenty of time left at the moment. If we haven't got anyone else by mid August I suspect we might up the offers a bit. I can't see this regime going into a season without the quality we need to at least try and challenge top 6.

Some folk seem to be forgetting how good we were at the back end of last season, and I don't think this lot will be fighting relegation next season. Do we have enough to challenge top six? Almost certainly not, but as Churchers says, it's about evolution, and people need to chill their socks.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Transfer Window.... on 11:34 - Jul 26 with 3162 viewsITFCBlues

Transfer Window.... on 11:04 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

I think it all depends on what our ambitions are for this season. If were happy to just consolidate in this league, then I think the squad as it is now is fine, and would probably finish around mid-table.

If we wanted to make a push for the top 6, I think we'd need to be more ruthless with 3-4 players, and target better players for those positions (i.e Trusty for Burgess).

Yeah, exactly this. I think we will be fine for a mid-table finish, but if we're serious about competing for the top 6, then there would need to be a few more signings of real quality added to the squad.

All indications at the end of the season and that we've been hearing were that we wanted to make a push and ultimately, the owners don't get any return without promotion to the prem.

I guess we shall see, there is time to go still - but the current recruitment isn't going to push us into the top 6 for me...

Transfer Window.... on 11:36 - Jul 26 with 3153 viewsMookamoo

All the talk while we were in League 1 is we were recruiting for the Championship. Thats what we did and we are here now.

Taylor and Hurst are great additions but I think that might be the end of our spending. Perhaps we'll spend a bit more on someone like Mark McGuinness - an OK player from a club that needs to sell.

I can't see us paying £4m for someone like Trusty. If we could get him for £1.5million plus add-ons then great, but I can't see it.

I can see us getting a young PL centre back on loan and that will be that until January.
Transfer Window.... on 11:36 - Jul 26 with 3133 viewsFrimleyBlue

My concern is we have a pretty good starting 11

But with the number of Tuesday games ahead of us, we re gonna need to utilise the squad more than we did in league 1 imo.. and at present I don't feel we are strong enough as squad to put a top 6 effort in.

However. Things take time. And it could be a Burley type season where we compete and get stronger in Jan window and then push towards the end.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Transfer Window.... on 11:37 - Jul 26 with 3128 viewsNutkins_Return

Transfer Window.... on 11:07 - Jul 26 by TalkingBlues

You are confusing not buying loads of expensive players because thats what you think should happen with being poor.

We did a chunk of our championship read recruitment effectively in Jan: Broadhead, Luongo, Clarke and Hirst (Hirst obviously now perm but element of not feeling as much like a 'new' signing).

The market has been a little stuck for all champ teams and a bit slower to unfold. Ffp means we HAVE to wait for our targets to be at the right price.

It hasn't been poor at all. Hirst and Taylor would clearly have been priority signings. I think Simms we might have missed out on but completely understandable and the price became one we couldn't do.

Hutchinson is a quality signing. Probably plan b from the Palace lad but on paper not really a downgrade other than experience. Possibly even more talented.

We've got a very competitive squad going into the season. I imagine they will want 2-3 more tweaks/signings (1-2 out to make way,). The business we have done over the last 12 months allows us to be patient and do the right business and not panic business.

With FFP the bits we can do (background, infrastructure, manager etc) has been fantastic. It's these small % that will also make a difference.

Pre-season also excellently planned and delivered IMO.
Agreed on 11:39 - Jul 26 with 3113 viewsITFCBlues

Agreed on 11:33 - Jul 26 by Dyland

Some folk seem to be forgetting how good we were at the back end of last season, and I don't think this lot will be fighting relegation next season. Do we have enough to challenge top six? Almost certainly not, but as Churchers says, it's about evolution, and people need to chill their socks.

I don't think it's a panic to question the business we've been able to do thus far. What Ashton & whispers from other reliable posters suggested was that we'd be going all to get promotion ASAP - the recruitment thus far doesn't suggest that for me.

JCBlue is probably right in that Prem clubs will start to make moves now they've returned to pre-season training & i suspect players will start to become available as we move through the window.

Transfer Window.... on 11:42 - Jul 26 with 3067 viewshype313

Think it's been quite good, I'd rather us wait for the right player with quality, than panic and get an Ahadme in.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Transfer Window.... on 11:42 - Jul 26 with 3063 viewsLankHenners

Think we have been a bit frustrated by things being slow/difficult to do, Simms for example we would have wanted to get done but tough to compete when a club has sold someone for about £20mil and can afford to pay that bit more.

Not sure we've really upgraded the first XI too much, we'll want a top CB in and another versatile forward at least, which hopefully will be sorted in the next couple of weeks when the Prem clubs come back from their tours and sort theselves out.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Transfer Window.... on 11:43 - Jul 26 with 3057 viewstractorboy1978

Transfer Window.... on 11:36 - Jul 26 by Mookamoo

All the talk while we were in League 1 is we were recruiting for the Championship. Thats what we did and we are here now.

Taylor and Hurst are great additions but I think that might be the end of our spending. Perhaps we'll spend a bit more on someone like Mark McGuinness - an OK player from a club that needs to sell.

I can't see us paying £4m for someone like Trusty. If we could get him for £1.5million plus add-ons then great, but I can't see it.

I can see us getting a young PL centre back on loan and that will be that until January.

We were genuinely sniffing around Downes amongst others at the start of the window - we cannot have realistically thought we could get him for £1.5m! Ditto the likes of Simms and Surridge.

Taylor and Hirst were always going to come in. Yes, we needed to get the deals done but that point remains. We were/are still looking for another striker and midfielder amongst other positions and we were willing to spend decent money.
Transfer Window.... on 11:45 - Jul 26 with 3034 viewsKieran_Knows

Transfer Window.... on 11:43 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

We were genuinely sniffing around Downes amongst others at the start of the window - we cannot have realistically thought we could get him for £1.5m! Ditto the likes of Simms and Surridge.

Taylor and Hirst were always going to come in. Yes, we needed to get the deals done but that point remains. We were/are still looking for another striker and midfielder amongst other positions and we were willing to spend decent money.

Armstrong too.

Transfer Window.... on 11:56 - Jul 26 with 2904 viewsITFCBlues

Transfer Window.... on 11:45 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Armstrong too.

Makes you wonder if we underestimated how much players like this were going to cost...

Transfer Window.... on 11:59 - Jul 26 with 2868 viewsTalkingBlues

Transfer Window.... on 11:37 - Jul 26 by Nutkins_Return

You are confusing not buying loads of expensive players because thats what you think should happen with being poor.

We did a chunk of our championship read recruitment effectively in Jan: Broadhead, Luongo, Clarke and Hirst (Hirst obviously now perm but element of not feeling as much like a 'new' signing).

The market has been a little stuck for all champ teams and a bit slower to unfold. Ffp means we HAVE to wait for our targets to be at the right price.

It hasn't been poor at all. Hirst and Taylor would clearly have been priority signings. I think Simms we might have missed out on but completely understandable and the price became one we couldn't do.

Hutchinson is a quality signing. Probably plan b from the Palace lad but on paper not really a downgrade other than experience. Possibly even more talented.

We've got a very competitive squad going into the season. I imagine they will want 2-3 more tweaks/signings (1-2 out to make way,). The business we have done over the last 12 months allows us to be patient and do the right business and not panic business.

With FFP the bits we can do (background, infrastructure, manager etc) has been fantastic. It's these small % that will also make a difference.

Pre-season also excellently planned and delivered IMO.

It's not about buying expensive players, I think we need some more experience at this level, a mix of players with potential and experience in this league, I think we are light on the former, particularly at CB, but up front too.

There'll be different perspectives, but Simms and Rak Sakyi were top targets and we are likely to end up missing out on both, which is unfortunate, what's the back up plan? Hirst was always coming, who do we look at now for the other spot that offer what the manager is looking for in this market? I think the reason we haven't seen more players leave, is because our recruitment team haven't delivered the targets set and we don't want to leave ourselves short and having to make hasty additions as the season kicks off, catch22, cos you can't then spend much money due to FFP, as you state.

Still time, but there's absolutely no doubt that McK will not have wanted to be going into the season short on players he has asked for and currently, that's where we are.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024