Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Day Four thread 12:00 - Jul 30 with 1816 viewsSteve_M

Decent enough start from Australia, not much going on for the bowlers yet but a few balls just past the edge and an edge a little short of Duckett.

32/0.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Day Four thread on 12:56 - Jul 30 with 1775 viewsSteve_M

Still not that much going on, slowed the scoring rate down a bit but looking like Australia are going to get to lunch without losing a wicket.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 13:00 - Jul 30 with 1762 viewsDaninthecampo

I think we need Wood with his extra pace to make the breakthrough here
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 13:00]
Cricket: Day Four thread on 13:02 - Jul 30 with 1750 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day Four thread on 12:56 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

Still not that much going on, slowed the scoring rate down a bit but looking like Australia are going to get to lunch without losing a wicket.

They've deliberately taken the sting out of the emotion of the day. The draw is heavily in the equation now with rain possibly moving in. Post lunch sessions have seen the most clusters of wickets in this series so hopefully that will repeat.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 13:43 - Jul 30 with 1682 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Day Four thread on 13:00 - Jul 30 by Daninthecampo

I think we need Wood with his extra pace to make the breakthrough here
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 13:00]

Sky reckon England are holding him back until they can get the ball to reverse a bit.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 13:53 - Jul 30 with 1663 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Day Four thread on 13:43 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

Sky reckon England are holding him back until they can get the ball to reverse a bit.

Was off for a bit, Glen McG said maybe a niggle as wasn't chasing balls very hard, but he's back now.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:08 - Jul 30 with 1622 viewsChrisd

The way the Aussies are playing, they really aren’t in too much bother. Makes you wonder if 384 will be enough especially if these two stay in for a while yet?!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:11 - Jul 30 with 1617 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:08 - Jul 30 by Chrisd

The way the Aussies are playing, they really aren’t in too much bother. Makes you wonder if 384 will be enough especially if these two stay in for a while yet?!

I was a little disappointed with how we played that last hour yesterday. We should be defending 450 at least.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:24 - Jul 30 with 1593 viewsKeno

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:11 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

I was a little disappointed with how we played that last hour yesterday. We should be defending 450 at least.

Weather permitting I can see the Aussies doing this

The bowling is very flat

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:27 - Jul 30 with 1585 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:24 - Jul 30 by Keno

The bowling is very flat

We look tired and flat, the pitch is offering as little as it's offered all match. This is going to be very close.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:29 - Jul 30 with 1579 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:24 - Jul 30 by Keno

The bowling is very flat

I'm getting the same sinking feeling I had when we set WI 344 in 1984 and lost by 9 wickets.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:31 - Jul 30 with 1567 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:29 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

I'm getting the same sinking feeling I had when we set WI 344 in 1984 and lost by 9 wickets.

Have you tried logging out for an hour yet?

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:32 - Jul 30 with 1556 viewsLord_Lucan

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:29 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

Must admit I'm getting concerned, I didn't think they had it in them to chase that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:33 - Jul 30 with 1555 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:31 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

Have you tried logging out for an hour yet?

Worth a go. See ya later.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:36 - Jul 30 with 1534 viewspointofblue

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:27 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

We look tired and flat, the pitch is offering as little as it's offered all match. This is going to be very close.

We're missing an additional pace option, in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of recalling Anderson ahead of Tongue for Old Trafford, let alone The Oval, and nothing has happened in either game to change my mind.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 15:03 - Jul 30 with 1500 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:36 - Jul 30 by pointofblue

We're missing an additional pace option, in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of recalling Anderson ahead of Tongue for Old Trafford, let alone The Oval, and nothing has happened in either game to change my mind.

Stokes being injured is a problem. Ali getting injured in this match hasn't helped. Poor Mark Wood is made of glass and looks to have been over bowled. Agree that Tongue should have come in for this test, he was good at Lords and would have freshened things up a bit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 16:51 - Jul 30 with 1435 viewsSteve_M

I think the rain has probably done England some good, a really disappointing session and a half today. A handful of balls troubling the batters - who both played really well - but not enough.

Start tomorrow with 250 runs to play with rather than 180 at least.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 17:05 - Jul 30 with 1403 viewsChurchman

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:08 - Jul 30 by Chrisd

The Oval is always a good batting pitch that holds up for five days. Unless the weather rescues England, Australia stand a good chance of knocking off the 250 required now.

Poor team selection hasn’t helped England’s cause, though nothing should diminish how superior Australia are to the rest at this format.
Cricket: Day Four thread on 17:23 - Jul 30 with 1376 viewsVic

Cricket: Day Four thread on 17:05 - Jul 30 by Churchman

The Oval is always a good batting pitch that holds up for five days. Unless the weather rescues England, Australia stand a good chance of knocking off the 250 required now.

Poor team selection hasn’t helped England’s cause, though nothing should diminish how superior Australia are to the rest at this format.

It’s the Aussies to lose now.

But that said, I’m not sure how much superior they are at this format. This series has been nip and tuck all the way and could have gone either way. In the big scheme the6 have proved to come up with the goods when necessary and so just about deserve to win the series. But it’s not much of a margin in my book.

What is does that is that as exciting as Bazball may be it isn’t the nailed on thing to win trophies. And at the end of the day history doesn’t really remember gallant losers only winners. So for all Stokesies talk of being exciting and changing the game, the five day format is still best served by being a little more circumspect and a little of a gamble that Stokesy wants to play.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 19:40 - Jul 30 with 1304 viewsMelford

The next Ashes over here in 4 years time is going to look a lot different to this one. Of both squads apart from Duckett, Crawley, Brook, Marnus, Head and Murphy everybody else playing this series is over 30.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Cricket: Day Four thread on 19:49 - Jul 30 with 1292 viewsericclacton

Stop it Stevem, it was the stuart broad look at me show.

Cricket: Day Four thread on 19:55 - Jul 30 with 1283 viewsChurchman

Cricket: Day Four thread on 17:23 - Jul 30 by Vic

It’s the Aussies to lose now.

But that said, I’m not sure how much superior they are at this format. This series has been nip and tuck all the way and could have gone either way. In the big scheme the6 have proved to come up with the goods when necessary and so just about deserve to win the series. But it’s not much of a margin in my book.

What is does that is that as exciting as Bazball may be it isn’t the nailed on thing to win trophies. And at the end of the day history doesn’t really remember gallant losers only winners. So for all Stokesies talk of being exciting and changing the game, the five day format is still best served by being a little more circumspect and a little of a gamble that Stokesy wants to play.

England won four in five tosses. They were using the Duke ball. Australia played in English conditions with little preparation. Australia were pretty superior, I’d suggest.

I like the idea of aggressive long format cricket. Bazball. It’s bold, brave and entertaining. Though team selection wasn’t brave. Mates, tried and trusted, retired spinner who can bat a bit to shore up the batting?

No, there has to be a bit of balance. Throwing your wicket away 20/20 style makes little sense to me. I’m not advocating Boycott style forward defensive all day, just a bit of brain engagement sometimes.
Cricket: Day Four thread on 20:37 - Jul 30 with 1262 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Day Four thread on 14:11 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

Couldn’t agree more, 340-4 and yet again we’ve given them more than a sniff. If the Aussies end up chasing the total down, for all the good Bazball brings it still needs refining. Leaves too much time in the game for the opposition and certainly doesn’t give our bowlers time to rest.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024