Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. 04:26 - Sep 17 with 5517 viewsquirkie

They are all over the place as a team, new manager already under the cosh.

I fear these types of games. I've gone for a 2-1 win for us but this has all the hallmarks of a shock result and a Soton win purely for the reason that these shock results do happen sadly for no reason whatsoever.

Umm.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 07:12 - Sep 17 with 4245 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

They're a funny team in that they've got some decent players, but they just look distinctly average as a team. 2-1 win will do me nicely, but really keen to see McKenna expose Martin tactically as I fail to see that he has earned that job. Just realised that Matt Gill is his assistant, which is mildly interesting.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 07:16 - Sep 17 with 4231 viewstractorboy1978

I am quietly confident but we need to be careful here, them beating us would not be a shock result. They are still the favourites.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 07:34 - Sep 17 with 4163 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

I think this one will be a real test.

I know Soton have been battered in their last two matches, but they've had an extra day rest and no travel since the international break.

I think this one may need to be filed under 'can't win them all' so I will be delighted with a point.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 07:39 - Sep 17 with 4125 viewstextbackup

And yet, I’d be over the moon with a draw.
4 points from 2 away games would be lovely

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 07:49 - Sep 17 with 4071 viewsjayessess

Have an awful feeling that we're sort of ideal opposition for them.

If you're a team that keeps establishing "passive domination", where you're passing the ball a lot without ever looking terribly penetrative then your kryptonite is teams that let you have it and choose their moment to punish your lack of purpose. We like to be aggressive and front foot, so I worry it'll be another basketball game like Leeds and that'll allow their individual quality to show.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 08:37 - Sep 17 with 3734 viewsHerbivore

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 07:49 - Sep 17 by jayessess

Have an awful feeling that we're sort of ideal opposition for them.

If you're a team that keeps establishing "passive domination", where you're passing the ball a lot without ever looking terribly penetrative then your kryptonite is teams that let you have it and choose their moment to punish your lack of purpose. We like to be aggressive and front foot, so I worry it'll be another basketball game like Leeds and that'll allow their individual quality to show.

Nah, I think people have really missed how our style of play has evolved away from home and especially against better sides. We don't dominate the ball in those games by any stretch. We look to keep our shape, maintain the press, then play through the lines quickly when we get the ball. All of our big chances yesterday came from quickly playing through the lines rather than having a spell of possession, same with the goals at Sunderland, same with the goals against Derby last season, and so on.

In some ways, we're a nightmare for them with how they are playing at the moment. I think we might see Jackson in for Burns because him and Hirst relentlessly pressing as they knock it about in their own half will force mistakes and will get us chances with them losing it in dangerous areas. We've got good pace on the counter when we turn it over to really hurt them as well. We'll need to defend well and be more clinical in the final third but I see us as being a horrible opponent for them right now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 08:55 - Sep 17 with 3631 viewsNutkins_Return

Us winning absolutely won't be a shock result. I'd still make them favourites.

They have had a lot of change so will take them time to get consistency but they have very good players, are at home, and will be looking for a reaction. The big advantage they have is the extra days rest in my opinion.

Downes got injured though.

Will be a big effort for us on Tuesday and would take a point now. We absolutely can beat them though it just won't be easy.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:03 - Sep 17 with 3587 viewshomer_123

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 08:37 - Sep 17 by Herbivore

Nah, I think people have really missed how our style of play has evolved away from home and especially against better sides. We don't dominate the ball in those games by any stretch. We look to keep our shape, maintain the press, then play through the lines quickly when we get the ball. All of our big chances yesterday came from quickly playing through the lines rather than having a spell of possession, same with the goals at Sunderland, same with the goals against Derby last season, and so on.

In some ways, we're a nightmare for them with how they are playing at the moment. I think we might see Jackson in for Burns because him and Hirst relentlessly pressing as they knock it about in their own half will force mistakes and will get us chances with them losing it in dangerous areas. We've got good pace on the counter when we turn it over to really hurt them as well. We'll need to defend well and be more clinical in the final third but I see us as being a horrible opponent for them right now.

There's nothing to suggest our 3 away wins show any kind of evolved play!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:11 - Sep 17 with 3544 viewsPinewoodblue

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 08:55 - Sep 17 by Nutkins_Return

Us winning absolutely won't be a shock result. I'd still make them favourites.

They have had a lot of change so will take them time to get consistency but they have very good players, are at home, and will be looking for a reaction. The big advantage they have is the extra days rest in my opinion.

Downes got injured though.

Will be a big effort for us on Tuesday and would take a point now. We absolutely can beat them though it just won't be easy.

Going to be interesting to see how we line up at StMary’s.

We didn’t make the usual multi player substitutions yesterday as s result more played the full 100+ minutes than usual.

Suspect we will make 3-4 changes to starting eleven.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:13 - Sep 17 with 3515 viewsBigCommon

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:03 - Sep 17 by homer_123

There's nothing to suggest our 3 away wins show any kind of evolved play!

I have to disagree... We seem happier to concede a bit of posession away from home, probably forced to, in some cases.And we've taken on a more counter attacking game, with more "carefully chosen" moments to thrust forwards.
It's not a case of wave upon wave of attacks, imo, away from home. This is something, we saw "evolving" during our tricky run of away fixtures during last seasons run in, imo.
Coinciding with Luongo stepping in and giving us a much more solid double pivot, alongside Morsy..
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:21 - Sep 17 with 3476 viewsHipsterectomy

Can’t see them losing 3 in a row. If they do it’s be curtains for Martin.

I think a draw or a lucky win for Saints (1-0 penalty or something)

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:21 - Sep 17 with 3475 viewsStewart27

I’d hardly call it a shock if Southampton won!

Remember where you came from lad!
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:27 - Sep 17 with 3432 viewsStewart27

Have I completely missed what Russell Martin has achieved in football? Even the inbreds up the road weren’t really interested in him. They are always desperate for one of their own to return due to not being able to attract decent managers.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:28 - Sep 17 with 3418 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Any team can beat any team in this league. Saying that you'd take a draw now is no different to saying you'd have taken a draw against Wednesday.

We'll be confidently going all out for the win, and so we should.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:33 - Sep 17 with 3376 viewsNutkins_Return

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:11 - Sep 17 by Pinewoodblue

Going to be interesting to see how we line up at StMary’s.

We didn’t make the usual multi player substitutions yesterday as s result more played the full 100+ minutes than usual.

Suspect we will make 3-4 changes to starting eleven.

Yes completely agree. Was thinking this through the other day. If Burns hamstring went tight again as McKenna said you have to take him out the squad in my opinion. Davis obviously out already.

So the ones I think we can be confident come in:

Williams for Davis
Hutchinson/Jackson (one of) for Burns
Hirst for Ladapo

I could also see potentially

Taylor for Luongo (50/50)
And Harness/Hutchinson for Broadhead (longer shot but Broady needs a bit of protection still even as far as he has come and we need legs and energy against Southampton).
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:37 - Sep 17 with 3345 viewsSimonds92

The shock result for most people would be if we won. They still have a collection of premier league players at their disposal. Hopefully we'll go there and take something to continue our momentum.
In terms of Martin, always thought it was a really strange appointment. He's had what 5 seasons in the game and his highest finish was 10th. Swansea sacked Steve Cooper after making the playoffs and Martin followed that up with a 15th place finish which they seemed happy with.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:40 - Sep 17 with 3328 viewsNthQldITFC

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:33 - Sep 17 by Nutkins_Return

Yes completely agree. Was thinking this through the other day. If Burns hamstring went tight again as McKenna said you have to take him out the squad in my opinion. Davis obviously out already.

So the ones I think we can be confident come in:

Williams for Davis
Hutchinson/Jackson (one of) for Burns
Hirst for Ladapo

I could also see potentially

Taylor for Luongo (50/50)
And Harness/Hutchinson for Broadhead (longer shot but Broady needs a bit of protection still even as far as he has come and we need legs and energy against Southampton).

Same for first three. Surprised Taylor didn't get 30 mins yesterday, but probably due to the early substitution of Davis. Think he should start at Southampton, and start rotating with Massimo a bit.

Unless Broadhead's carrying a knock, I'd keep him in. Would rather not change Davis and Broadhead at the same time.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:41 - Sep 17 with 3314 viewsDubtractor

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 08:37 - Sep 17 by Herbivore

Yep - very noticeable that our away tactics are much less 'gung-ho', happy to play on the counter rather than set the pace, happy that the game might be a bit scrappy in spells but don't allow the opposition too much space to play.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:57 - Sep 17 with 3254 viewsNthQldITFC

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:41 - Sep 17 by Dubtractor

Yep - very noticeable that our away tactics are much less 'gung-ho', happy to play on the counter rather than set the pace, happy that the game might be a bit scrappy in spells but don't allow the opposition too much space to play.

One thing I thought yesterday was that Wednesday didn't press our keeper/defence/Morsy fully. They kind of got men up there a bit, but then didn't seem to want to commit that final five yards. Half-arsed and indecisive. Southampton did a similar thing, but with more men against Leicester, and that was what made them so open I think, but Leicester kept their full backs really wide and offered plenty of options to draw Southampton in.

I'm fascinated to see how Tuesday pans out. Could go any sort of way I think. I'd take a draw now, personally.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 10:21 - Sep 17 with 3147 viewsJ2BLUE

You think them winning with the squad they have would be a shock result?

I'm glad McKenna stays balanced!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 10:28 - Sep 17 with 3078 viewsNutkins_Return

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:40 - Sep 17 by NthQldITFC

Same for first three. Surprised Taylor didn't get 30 mins yesterday, but probably due to the early substitution of Davis. Think he should start at Southampton, and start rotating with Massimo a bit.

Unless Broadhead's carrying a knock, I'd keep him in. Would rather not change Davis and Broadhead at the same time.

Yes the Broadhead one would be the .ost surprising as he's important. They will just look at the data on his running/fatigue etc. As you say I think the plan would have been to take him off after 65-70 but couldn't happen (McKenna alluded to the Davis sub meaning couldn't do what they wanted with subs as per plan).

He'll probably do 60 and if Taylor comes in then he won't want wholesale changes.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 10:28 - Sep 17 with 3078 viewsgringoblue

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:57 - Sep 17 by NthQldITFC

One thing I thought yesterday was that Wednesday didn't press our keeper/defence/Morsy fully. They kind of got men up there a bit, but then didn't seem to want to commit that final five yards. Half-arsed and indecisive. Southampton did a similar thing, but with more men against Leicester, and that was what made them so open I think, but Leicester kept their full backs really wide and offered plenty of options to draw Southampton in.

I'm fascinated to see how Tuesday pans out. Could go any sort of way I think. I'd take a draw now, personally.

The trigger for their full press seemed to be Clarke getting the ball, and he had a really poor first half as a result, gave the ball away badly on a number of occasions.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 11:07 - Sep 17 with 2944 viewsstrikalite

It's good to see Sulemana got sent off against Leicester because he is quality and bloody quick on that left side...

I'll take a draw, but there's no doubt we're playing them at a good time where they're all over the place at the back..
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 11:23 - Sep 17 with 2882 viewsJDB23

They have some very good players and when they click they have the capability of tearing teams apart. Having said that they do look quite vulnerable at the moment, especially passing out from the back. I think our press will present us with a good few chances and we probably won't be as open as the Leeds game due to being away from home.

Can see us nicking it 2-1 but also wouldn't be surprised if we came away 3-1 losers.
Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 11:32 - Sep 17 with 2826 viewsPinewoodblue

Saints fans reckon they are going to get battered. on 09:40 - Sep 17 by NthQldITFC

I’d we tempted to play Taylor alongside Luongo as Morsy is already a yellow away from a one match ban.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024