Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match, performance and player thoughts 22:23 - Nov 1 with 2663 viewsunstableblue

First off, at times in that first half it was some horrible flashback to the Mick era… watching an opposition team out pass and out system Town at Portman Road, and we rely on running around as honest players.

Didn’t get near them. Thanks God those times will not be repeated with our first team and in the league for some time.

We decided to play almost a sub B team, yes Aluko had moments, but not sure he and Donacien should be playing in that kind of game.

I think we just didn’t get our press going, and individually Fulham had excellent players across the pitch.

For me MCKenna really de-prioritised the cup tonight. To not start any of Morsy, Luongo, Davis, Williams, Hirst, Chaplin or Broadhead says it all.

Clarke at left back failed.

Ball had an off night. Our passing was error strewn.

And we made mistakes that led to gifting goals, with Walton seemingly rusty.

But there are positives, once we got some better players on who are closer to the first team Fulham started to get stretched and challenged and they went deeper.

It was shame as it seemed a lot of part time or neutral fans had turned up tonight. And Town didn’t give as good as they could.

Axel had some wobbles, but he got 90mins, and some of his passing and one tackle looked promising.

Baggot was superb when he came on, and whilst in McKenna we trust, he really should have started this game over Burgess. He gets a goal. And he just looks so classy on the ball. He really cannot not be far off the first team. Is and Axel and Baggot starting centre back pairing that far away?

I liked a lot of what Harness brought. And also Taylor. But they needed better than the likes of Ladapo and Ball around them. I thought Jackson showed some limitations.

So disappointing, but the League Cup is clearly not a priority. And the FA Cup can give the B team some games in January.

What is key now is to go and smash Rooney’s Brum and Rotherham! - “f@ck the cup, cause we’re going up”

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:34 - Nov 1 with 2560 viewsHerbivore

Weird to hark all the way back to Mick (again) when we've literally had three managers since he left who were all far worse and had us being outplayed by even weaker opposition.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:37 - Nov 1 with 2522 viewsunstableblue

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:34 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

Weird to hark all the way back to Mick (again) when we've literally had three managers since he left who were all far worse and had us being outplayed by even weaker opposition.

Not really Herbie. That’s how I remember feeling when we were outclassed yet again on the ball. I’m just sharing that I haven’t felt that way, even under Hurst, Lambert and Cook.

Oh don’t get me wrong we often won a few. But it was that level of being passed around and being the inferior side.

I should add I thought Humphreys looked good where he came on and upped our quality further.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 22:38]

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:40 - Nov 1 with 2483 viewsHerbivore

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:37 - Nov 1 by unstableblue

Not really Herbie. That’s how I remember feeling when we were outclassed yet again on the ball. I’m just sharing that I haven’t felt that way, even under Hurst, Lambert and Cook.

Oh don’t get me wrong we often won a few. But it was that level of being passed around and being the inferior side.

I should add I thought Humphreys looked good where he came on and upped our quality further.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 22:38]

Which we experienced plenty under Lambert. In sodding League 1. It's just odd to me that some still make out like Mick was the low point when we spent the next 4 years showing that we didn't know what a low point REALLY looks like.

Glad some players got minutes, shame they couldn't put out a better performance. We move on.

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:41 - Nov 1 with 2470 viewsorfordbuoy

yeah, we all knew about the rotations and everything, but this feeling of losing easily - don`t like it.
Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:00 - Nov 1 with 2363 viewscressi

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:41 - Nov 1 by orfordbuoy

yeah, we all knew about the rotations and everything, but this feeling of losing easily - don`t like it.

Overall thought we was poor Clarke showed why Williams brought in.
Walton unless injury or,a massive dip in Hladkys form won't play a league game this season.
It does confirm that we will need to loan or lose a few players to bring quality in for the key players in case we lose to injury or suspension
But better tonight than Saturday
Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:02 - Nov 1 with 2345 viewscressi

Limitations is a understatement.
Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:08 - Nov 1 with 2289 viewsGarv

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:40 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

Which we experienced plenty under Lambert. In sodding League 1. It's just odd to me that some still make out like Mick was the low point when we spent the next 4 years showing that we didn't know what a low point REALLY looks like.

Glad some players got minutes, shame they couldn't put out a better performance. We move on.

He's not saying Mick was 'the' low point, he's pointing out that our style was direct and that was showcased even more when sides came and passed it around us.

Like it not all the managers since Mick tried to play a more modern brand of football.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:16 - Nov 1 with 2218 viewsSimonds92

Yep i think this is a spot on assessment. If you're going to play the sort of solid players they need an out ball or something different. I think to be honest its highlighted we need another left back. If we lost Leif and the width he gives us we would be in all sorts of trouble. Same can be said if we lost Hirst. We need another striker with his attributes to be there to step in and stretch defences. Freddie is fine if a team is sitting deep but if they're not then he just wont be able to press as well as Hirst.
Login to get fewer ads

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:19 - Nov 1 with 2189 viewsunstableblue

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:08 - Nov 1 by Garv

He's not saying Mick was 'the' low point, he's pointing out that our style was direct and that was showcased even more when sides came and passed it around us.

Like it not all the managers since Mick tried to play a more modern brand of football.

Garv, thank you… bang on

Yes Lambert was poor… but even in the Championship as we relegated, he tried to pass and have a forward looking shape… and in League One we tended to dominate the ball.. our problem was we just passed it sideways, but at least we were the passing team. The low points were clearly Charlton and Carlisle away at the end of Cook era. But at least they weren’t the death by a 1000 cuts of Micks final two seasons.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 23:27]

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:25 - Nov 1 with 2126 viewsunstableblue

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:16 - Nov 1 by Simonds92

Yep i think this is a spot on assessment. If you're going to play the sort of solid players they need an out ball or something different. I think to be honest its highlighted we need another left back. If we lost Leif and the width he gives us we would be in all sorts of trouble. Same can be said if we lost Hirst. We need another striker with his attributes to be there to step in and stretch defences. Freddie is fine if a team is sitting deep but if they're not then he just wont be able to press as well as Hirst.

I think Williams can play left. So we have some cover. But again McKenna just didn’t prioritise this game, hence he and Leif not even on the bench.

I have to agree on Freddie, love the guy. But Hirst looked a completely different level in terms touch, movement and distribution.

Match, performance and player thoughts on 06:50 - Nov 2 with 1887 viewsBlueBadger

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:08 - Nov 1 by Garv

I'm not sure that Lambert's 'remind everyone you played for Dortmund approach'' can be called 'modern'. Alan Ball was doing similar 30 years ago.

Neither can Hurst's 'put out 11 rubbish players and hope for the best' or Cook's '4-3-12 and nothing else'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Match, performance and player thoughts on 06:51 - Nov 2 with 1881 viewsdirtyboy

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:00 - Nov 1 by cressi

Overall thought we was poor Clarke showed why Williams brought in.
Walton unless injury or,a massive dip in Hladkys form won't play a league game this season.
It does confirm that we will need to loan or lose a few players to bring quality in for the key players in case we lose to injury or suspension
But better tonight than Saturday

Clarke was played out of position, so ridiculous to lay too much blame there for being caught out against Premier League opponents.

To me, just felt like a disjointed team against a better one.

Few nice individual moments but the cohesion from all playing regularly wasn’t there, very obvious.

Good reminder for us all about levels, and also a learning experience.

We move on.
Match, performance and player thoughts on 07:48 - Nov 2 with 1778 viewsGeoffSentence

Match, performance and player thoughts on 22:34 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

More weird to be bothered about it. Time to let him go.

It was certainly a valid point, last night had a lot more in common with football from that era than any other in recent memory.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Match, performance and player thoughts on 07:50 - Nov 2 with 1765 viewscressi

Match, performance and player thoughts on 06:51 - Nov 2 by dirtyboy

Clarke was played out of position, so ridiculous to lay too much blame there for being caught out against Premier League opponents.

To me, just felt like a disjointed team against a better one.

Few nice individual moments but the cohesion from all playing regularly wasn’t there, very obvious.

Good reminder for us all about levels, and also a learning experience.

We move on.

Regards Clarke out of position I Street But he was not out of position v Leeds and Blackburn he likes to come inside lacks positional sense
Hopefully it's something he will gain.
Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:12 - Nov 2 with 1513 viewsBlueBadger

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:19 - Nov 1 by unstableblue

Garv, thank you… bang on

Yes Lambert was poor… but even in the Championship as we relegated, he tried to pass and have a forward looking shape… and in League One we tended to dominate the ball.. our problem was we just passed it sideways, but at least we were the passing team. The low points were clearly Charlton and Carlisle away at the end of Cook era. But at least they weren’t the death by a 1000 cuts of Micks final two seasons.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 23:27]

It's not 'progressive/technical football' if it gets you relegated and marooned in the third division mate.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 23:13]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Match, performance and player thoughts on 10:43 - Nov 3 with 1316 viewsHerbivore

Match, performance and player thoughts on 23:12 - Nov 2 by BlueBadger

It's not 'progressive/technical football' if it gets you relegated and marooned in the third division mate.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 23:13]

I also don't recognize this forward looking shape. The two spawny home wins against Wigan and Rotherham were achieved with our only efforts on goal (both scrappy) and backs to the wall defending. There was nothing modern or progressive about us under Hurst or Lambert or Cook if we're being completely honest. All different shades of old school manager, just a lot less effective than their old school predecessor.

Match, performance and player thoughts on 20:01 - Nov 3 with 1177 viewsItfcforme

Most clubs have done there homework on itfc and now McKenna must change his tactics and vary our play from the kick off Fulham targeted our right side and scored with ease pulling Clarke out of position and beating him for pace
Match, performance and player thoughts on 21:01 - Nov 3 with 1144 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Match, performance and player thoughts on 20:01 - Nov 3 by Itfcforme

Most clubs have done there homework on itfc and now McKenna must change his tactics and vary our play from the kick off Fulham targeted our right side and scored with ease pulling Clarke out of position and beating him for pace

That was really your take on that game?

You didn't notice that we were slow, clearly not used to playing together and kept a much poorer shape. Our keeper was wobbly and rarely played the ball short. Aluko was our most creative midfield player and generally passed backwards. Ball and Taylor had no grip in midfield. This was nothing to do with Town being "worked out" and everything to do with making 11 changes from our first team. Many things improved for the short time we put a few first team players on.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024