Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives 22:12 - Jan 1 with 1212 viewsunstableblue

I expected us to lose today, what with Schumacher now having a new and improved set of players, unbeaten, bedded in, and having McKenna’s number. But also because we are so depleted.

But overall Stoke were a little disappointing and not as strong as I expected going forward. Though they carved chances. Town kept them well away from goal. Where Stoke were strong was their defensive line of 4 and deeper midfield 3. Which became even deeper and more robust after the red card.

A red card that was deserved and clear. Premier League he goes for the challenge on Jackson. The red probably ended up being a negative as Town were getting increasingly on top and the subs were going to help, and with Stoke a bit more open.

So the POSITIVES from this afternoon at the Bet365:

1. Edmundson seamlessly replaced Burgess who heads off to join the socceroos. It was good to hear from McKenna that the Fridge has been a model in training, awaiting his chance. And I thought his all round game was excellent.

2. For several phases of the game Town really got on top and we saw some McKenna ball emerging. And whilst Luongo was overrun by their midfield Morsy was beginning to run things. Clarke was doing well. It was good to see Town back after the stuttering at home to QPR

3. Wolfenden is still showing improvement, very calm on the ball, good in the air on set pieces, but his short passing was very good today. Axel did a lot right and with one excellent run. He has played there before. And he does seem to be hitting fitness and form. We have good right CB cover.

4. We claimed a point away against a team with strength, and Southampton failed to close the gap away at Naaaaarwich.

The NEGATIVES

1. Broadhead continues to show weakened form, and whilst Burns did a lot more, both needed to bring their A games, but didn’t. If they had I think we win. But they have had illness which effects sharpness.

2. Morsy yellow was inevitable, but Leicester and Sunderland are big game to miss.

3. Williams should surely be starting left back? Leaving Clarke in his usual position. Something not right here.

4. We are missing Hirst big time, and need that new striker ASAP, given the length of lay-off. I thought Jackson did OK. But overall our attacking was missing something. We weren’t opening them up, and I’m not the subs we’re times right or quite right - I’d have brought Humphrey on after red card, Freddie earlier. Taylor wasn’t quite as slick as we’ve seen.

Overall I do think a lot of Town fans are underestimating just how good Stokes defensive and midfield lines were. And I agree with McKenna’s view of proceedings (see below).

A nice break to regroup. Try a few things against Wimbledon - Humphreys, Walton, Axel and Edmundson. Ball.

Get a few additions through the door - and hey why now El Mizouni back?! - and build up to the foxes.
But being still 3 points clear of Saints; 7 from Leeds, already into January is superb. And 3 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss from that December remains a great performance. The season really does start now though. COYB.

McKenna thoughts:
“But I thought we took the sting out of that really well, we stayed with the ball, stayed brave against the opposition press and the opposition crowd and I liked the way we were in that phase.

“And I thought throughout the first half then we started to take control of the game and created some really good situations for ourselves. But weren’t quite able to execute the touch or the last little bit to get a goal.

“And again, I thought we came out well at the start of the second half and the game was in a good way for us.
[Post edited 1 Jan 22:21]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 22:16 - Jan 1 with 1146 viewsSheffordBlue

On the try a few things at Wimbledon we also have a bit of time now to train with Broadhead as the 9. Seen a lot of people calling for it but the schedule to now hasn't really allowed much opportunity to work on it. A few training sessions and then a game might be what McKenna needs to see if the experiment is worth a deeper look given the Hirst injury and the time it might take to bed in any new reinforcements.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 22:25 - Jan 1 with 1063 viewsunstableblue

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 22:16 - Jan 1 by SheffordBlue

On the try a few things at Wimbledon we also have a bit of time now to train with Broadhead as the 9. Seen a lot of people calling for it but the schedule to now hasn't really allowed much opportunity to work on it. A few training sessions and then a game might be what McKenna needs to see if the experiment is worth a deeper look given the Hirst injury and the time it might take to bed in any new reinforcements.

Good point Shefford.

We need to get the attacking 4 working effectively again, as clear cut chances are drying up a little.

Perhaps against Wimbledon start with the starting 4 that are planned for the king power - get some goals then rest them.

I think we need to start Harness, he is giving a lot at the moment. Seems very composed.

To your suggestion, perhaps

—————Broadhead
Harness——-Chaplin——Burns

The concern is being lite eight through the middle. Jackson did OK today and did hold up at times.

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 22:43 - Jan 1 with 1003 viewsSitfcB

Hopefully Morsy will play Saturday seeing as he’s suspended for two in the league now.

I’m scared for Leicester away without him.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 23:01 - Jan 1 with 916 viewsunstableblue

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 22:43 - Jan 1 by SitfcB

Hopefully Morsy will play Saturday seeing as he’s suspended for two in the league now.

I’m scared for Leicester away without him.

Yes Morsy should start against Wimbledon in the FA Cup; and that solidity/leadership means you can bring in youth, or try different lineups with a bit more ease.

Agree Leicester looks a lot more challenging without a midfield enforcer.

Let’s get El Mizouni back and throw him in at the deep end.

He’s been captaining Orient. And he’s the constant in their midfield with players roatating around him!

Indeed thinking about it maybe we need to start Ball against Wimbledon over Morsy if he is the solution for Leicester so he gets game sharp.

Worth reflecting on Schumacher post match interview on 00:27 - Jan 2 with 776 viewsunstableblue

Think we’ve become so spoilt that we probably under estimate how well we played against Stoke, and how difficult it was for them to nullify us.

Interesting his thoughts on atmosphere - the home crowd did seem to fire up at points on Town TV coverage.

He’ll do well there. But I thought we looked another level to them for large parts, and with Hirst in the team we win.

Reflecting on Stoke away - positives and negatives on 08:41 - Jan 2 with 576 viewstextbackup

1 - Broadhead has developed this awful trait of dribbling into people, he’s not going by anyone, just directly into them. His drop off in form over Dec has been concerning.

3 - Williams, you don’t play Axel at RB and Clarke at LB when you have Williams (a guy that wants to play LB) on the bench. There is something up here, unsure why people get so ratty when it’s said, or why posts get deleted. So many stories, all saying the same thing are coming out, that it’s so naive to think they are just rumours/rubbish.

———

GE played very well, and the defence looked rock solid. Everything was decent until we got in the final 1/3, we then turned powder puff and wasteful

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024