Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? 10:18 - Jan 20 with 1571 viewstaximan

it is obvious that selling clubs are holding itfc to ransom this month when it comes to signing a murphy type replacement.
which is fair enough
but, why wasn't a replacement already signed before news of murphys departure broke ?
was there just not time ?
how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:21 - Jan 20 with 1555 viewsartsbossbeard

I heard from a decent source that it was around a week but fees weren't agreed at this stage and Murphy was to be told that day of their interest.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:24 - Jan 20 with 1535 viewstaximan

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:21 - Jan 20 by artsbossbeard

I heard from a decent source that it was around a week but fees weren't agreed at this stage and Murphy was to be told that day of their interest.

so theoretically enough time to source a replacement and get things moving in that respect ?
how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:25 - Jan 20 with 1531 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

My take on it was that we were a bit naive in taking verbal agreements and positive conversations as enough of a confirmation that we would be able to get someone. i.e. Washington from QPR who were willing to sell him once they had a replacement...

Obviously that didn't happen and it could have been QPR peddling rubbish, but it was foolish and naive to expect everything to come up roses when there is a chance that we would be left in the brown
how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:27 - Jan 20 with 1518 viewsartsbossbeard

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:24 - Jan 20 by taximan

so theoretically enough time to source a replacement and get things moving in that respect ?

Yep, if the other club(s) play ball, of course.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:29 - Jan 20 with 1503 viewsvapour_trail

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:24 - Jan 20 by taximan

You should already know who you'd target should your key players leave the club and be ready to move for them to mitigate your own loss. It was appalling mis management.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:31 - Jan 20 with 1482 viewstaximan

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:29 - Jan 20 by vapour_trail

You should already know who you'd target should your key players leave the club and be ready to move for them to mitigate your own loss. It was appalling mis management.

absolutely

who takes responsibility for this c0ck up, evans or mm or a bit of both ?
how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:33 - Jan 20 with 1467 viewsvapour_trail

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:31 - Jan 20 by taximan

absolutely

who takes responsibility for this c0ck up, evans or mm or a bit of both ?

I don't know how these things work at the club, it differs doesn't it club to club.

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:38 - Jan 20 with 1428 viewstaximan

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:33 - Jan 20 by vapour_trail

I don't know how these things work at the club, it differs doesn't it club to club.

if evans is responsible i can kind of understand it through his lack of experience in transfer dealings, but surelyy mm would have told him to sort out a replacement before giving the go ahead for the murphy sale.

this one bit of business has caused a lot of hassle
Login to get fewer ads

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:41 - Jan 20 with 1396 viewsbraveblue

It would have meant Evans spending some money. No chance.
how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:08 - Jan 20 with 1278 viewsBent_double

This transfer window system needs to change, at the moment, selling clubs can hold desperate buyers to ransom right uptil about 10pm on deadline day, just waiting until they get the best possible price.

I mean, do Rotherham actually want to sell Ward? They must be rubbing their hands together at the though of 3 or 4 clubs continually outbidding one another, over and above what he is really worth. Of course they will say they want £5m for him, but what if the only firm bids are in the £1-2m range, they're just stringing clubs along and could well end up saying "he's not for sale" on the 31st.

How about a date within the transfer window - say a week before it closed - when a selling club must declare which players they are willing to sell, and with a minimum price?

That way, any interested clubs know where they stand and can enter into a bidding war with other clubs or just drop out and pursue other players?

That would also give the selling club a week to get a replacement in, to they don't find themselves in this position of suddenly being without an important player on deadline day with no replacement lined up.

Just an idea...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:18 - Jan 20 with 1244 viewsGuthrum

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 10:29 - Jan 20 by vapour_trail

Tho if the targets' clubs then turn around and refuse to sell (at least for what you can afford), you're still stuffed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:21 - Jan 20 with 1230 viewsGuthrum

Don't think they're so much deliberately 'holding ITFC to ransom', as recognising that the market is silly all round and are, naturally, milking it for what they can get.

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:53 - Jan 20 with 1171 viewsBenters

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:21 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

Don't think they're so much deliberately 'holding ITFC to ransom', as recognising that the market is silly all round and are, naturally, milking it for what they can get.

But they all do it yeah ?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:58 - Jan 20 with 1144 viewsvapour_trail

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:18 - Jan 20 by Guthrum

Tho if the targets' clubs then turn around and refuse to sell (at least for what you can afford), you're still stuffed.

There should be a plan a, b and c.

Perhaps there was, but I'm not convinced.

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 13:32 - Jan 20 with 1107 viewsGuthrum

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:53 - Jan 20 by Benters

But they all do it yeah ?

That's what I meant. It's not specific victimisation of ITFC, so much as the environment we're in. We do it to others, too (look at how much we got for Murphy and Mings).

I sometimes wonder if that's one of the reasons most transfer fees are officially "undisclosed" nowadays, because clubs are embarrassed at how much they're having to pay out.

The transfer market nowadays is effing expensive. And, unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to keep up.

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 13:51 - Jan 20 with 1067 viewsGuthrum

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:08 - Jan 20 by Bent_double

This transfer window system needs to change, at the moment, selling clubs can hold desperate buyers to ransom right uptil about 10pm on deadline day, just waiting until they get the best possible price.

I mean, do Rotherham actually want to sell Ward? They must be rubbing their hands together at the though of 3 or 4 clubs continually outbidding one another, over and above what he is really worth. Of course they will say they want £5m for him, but what if the only firm bids are in the £1-2m range, they're just stringing clubs along and could well end up saying "he's not for sale" on the 31st.

How about a date within the transfer window - say a week before it closed - when a selling club must declare which players they are willing to sell, and with a minimum price?

That way, any interested clubs know where they stand and can enter into a bidding war with other clubs or just drop out and pursue other players?

That would also give the selling club a week to get a replacement in, to they don't find themselves in this position of suddenly being without an important player on deadline day with no replacement lined up.

Just an idea...

The removal of the "Emergency" Loan Window has only served to increase the effect.

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 13:56 - Jan 20 with 1053 viewsGuthrum

how much notice did the club get from newcastle re the murphy sale ? on 12:58 - Jan 20 by vapour_trail

There should be a plan a, b and c.

Perhaps there was, but I'm not convinced.

I tend to think the Williams loan was plan C or D. Which, of course, itself soon broke down.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024