Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S 20:43 - May 17 with 3224 viewsRyorry

However, only used ones seem available to buy, & I'd have thought a new one with a brand new battery would be better? Thoughts anyone please.

Rarely use a mobile as live in a signal blackspot, it'd be just for emergency & occasional use + photos, so PAYG.

Can't get a signal on old iPhone 4 even in middle of town where others can, been told this is because of its great age - around 4 years old!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 20:52 - May 17 with 3189 viewsJakeITFC

I'd recommend a new one (or at least Apple refurbished) because the battery is terrible.

A 5C probably sounds more suited to your needs, but may be as difficult to get new.
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 20:56 - May 17 with 3179 viewsbrogansnose

Do other networks fare better or worse than the one that you're with in these blackspots ? Are your IOS upgrades up to date ?

Where my house is is a bit of a dead spot and it hasn't improved by upgrades from I-phone 3 to 5. I need to go up the garden to make calls or use the wi-fi.
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 20:56 - May 17 with 3179 viewsEJP

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 20:52 - May 17 by JakeITFC

I'd recommend a new one (or at least Apple refurbished) because the battery is terrible.

A 5C probably sounds more suited to your needs, but may be as difficult to get new.

Don't think 5S or 5C are made anymore - been superceded by iPhone SE.
Music Magpie is a good place to look - my daughter bought a 6 + from
there and it's immaculate.
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:03 - May 17 with 3152 viewsLord_Lucan

Why don't you upgrade to a 7 and be done with it.

From my experience 5's are very bad on reception.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:06 - May 17 with 3157 viewsIllinoisblue

[Post edited 17 May 2017 21:06]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:10 - May 17 with 3144 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 20:56 - May 17 by brogansnose

Do other networks fare better or worse than the one that you're with in these blackspots ? Are your IOS upgrades up to date ?

Where my house is is a bit of a dead spot and it hasn't improved by upgrades from I-phone 3 to 5. I need to go up the garden to make calls or use the wi-fi.

I honestly wouldn't know. Am with orange/ee which was thought to be better out here, but when house renovs were going on 2 yrs ago, all the tradespeople seemed to find everything equally poor, and they had to go to top of stairs or even into attic to get 2 bars!

Doubt I'd have done any upgrades unless they've been done automatically when I plug phone into my Mac to upload photos. The camera still works fine btw, & I'd probably keep it just for that. Went thru trade-in process on apple site and got offered £0!!

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:14 - May 17 with 3130 viewsfeelingblue

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:03 - May 17 by Lord_Lucan

Why don't you upgrade to a 7 and be done with it.

From my experience 5's are very bad on reception.

Or even escape from the evil Apple Empire. You can buy a brilliant Android phone for just over £350, better than an iPhone, or you can get a pretty decent Android phone for £150
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:28 - May 17 with 3093 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:14 - May 17 by feelingblue

Or even escape from the evil Apple Empire. You can buy a brilliant Android phone for just over £350, better than an iPhone, or you can get a pretty decent Android phone for £150

Been told a 5S can be picked up for c. £100-£120?

I would like to get away from them, but Apple's convenient for me for uploading photos as I have a Mac laptop.

Login to get fewer ads

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:29 - May 17 with 3087 viewsJ2BLUE

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:28 - May 17 by Ryorry

I would like to get away from them, but Apple's convenient for me for uploading photos as I have a Mac laptop.

What network are you on? Do you have a sim only deal?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:33 - May 17 with 3086 viewsbrogansnose

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:28 - May 17 by Ryorry

Purchased a 4 for my son from one of those secondhand shops that deal in laptops, games, phones and tablets for £110 eighteen months ago. Works really well. Bound to be one in your nearest town, York ?
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:34 - May 17 with 3076 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:29 - May 17 by J2BLUE

What network are you on? Do you have a sim only deal?

Orange.

No idea what a sim only deal is! it's payg, have never taken a package deal on it as I'd never use the freebie texts etc.

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:37 - May 17 with 3070 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:33 - May 17 by brogansnose

Purchased a 4 for my son from one of those secondhand shops that deal in laptops, games, phones and tablets for £110 eighteen months ago. Works really well. Bound to be one in your nearest town, York ?

Been told it's the 4 that's the problem as it's so outdated I'm afraid. Not keen to get another, battery life terrible from the outset. Glad you got one that works well for you tho.

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:38 - May 17 with 3066 viewsJ2BLUE

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:34 - May 17 by Ryorry

Orange.

No idea what a sim only deal is! it's payg, have never taken a package deal on it as I'd never use the freebie texts etc.

Bloody hell, are Orange still about?

Hmm, have you thought of getting a cheap PAYG Samsung/Nokia or similar and keeping your current phone as a camera?

Little basic phones have a long battery life and you could check coverage on each network's site to get the best one. You can keep your current number with a quick phone call and it's transferred within a day or two.

I think you're looking at a bit more than £120 for a new 5s based on some quick googling.

Truly impaired.

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:43 - May 17 with 3053 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:38 - May 17 by J2BLUE

Bloody hell, are Orange still about?

Hmm, have you thought of getting a cheap PAYG Samsung/Nokia or similar and keeping your current phone as a camera?

Little basic phones have a long battery life and you could check coverage on each network's site to get the best one. You can keep your current number with a quick phone call and it's transferred within a day or two.

I think you're looking at a bit more than £120 for a new 5s based on some quick googling.

Did you finds new 5S anywhere? all the sites I looked at said 'used'.

Quite keen to cut down weight & no. of objects in pockets too, esp when walking the mutt, so would prefer to combine all functions in one device, with the old 4 left in Landrover for camera backup if needed.

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:50 - May 17 with 3037 viewsJ2BLUE

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:43 - May 17 by Ryorry

Did you finds new 5S anywhere? all the sites I looked at said 'used'.

Quite keen to cut down weight & no. of objects in pockets too, esp when walking the mutt, so would prefer to combine all functions in one device, with the old 4 left in Landrover for camera backup if needed.

John Lewis £259
Argos £259

Laptops Direct - Grade refurbished £190

I'm not sure how macbooks work but it might be a good idea to see if you can escape Apple unless you're happy to upgrade every few years.

4 was released June 2010
5s September 2013.

So might be three years of use.

Truly impaired.

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 22:12 - May 17 with 3005 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 21:50 - May 17 by J2BLUE

John Lewis £259
Argos £259

Laptops Direct - Grade refurbished £190

I'm not sure how macbooks work but it might be a good idea to see if you can escape Apple unless you're happy to upgrade every few years.

4 was released June 2010
5s September 2013.

So might be three years of use.

That's great info, many thanks. Yes, will check out the compatability thing.

Thanks to all who helped with their replies too

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 22:50 - May 17 with 2955 viewsSuperfrans

If it's just for emerg NYC use, I'd question whether it's worth getting a smart phone at all.

But if you want to take pics too, get a Samsung - you will be able to replace the battery if it starts to deteriorate.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 05:53 - May 18 with 2850 viewsJonBlue

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 22:12 - May 17 by Ryorry

That's great info, many thanks. Yes, will check out the compatability thing.

Thanks to all who helped with their replies too

If you want to attach an Android phone to a Mac it's easy, you just need to install an app called 'Android File Transfer' on your Mac, then attach the phone to your Mac's USB port using the phone's charging cable and viola! You can drag and drop across any files you want.

I agree with other posters that a modestly priced android phone should suit your needs perfectly.
[Post edited 18 May 2017 8:54]
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 11:59 - May 18 with 2760 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 05:53 - May 18 by JonBlue

If you want to attach an Android phone to a Mac it's easy, you just need to install an app called 'Android File Transfer' on your Mac, then attach the phone to your Mac's USB port using the phone's charging cable and viola! You can drag and drop across any files you want.

I agree with other posters that a modestly priced android phone should suit your needs perfectly.
[Post edited 18 May 2017 8:54]

Cheers, I'd just googled to check out that issue & got same answer!

Any recommendations? I do want a good quality camera with it, good battery, easy to use (I'm used to apple :( ) with bigg-ish buttons if poss, and under £200 if poss ...

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 12:11 - May 18 with 2743 viewssoupytwist

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 11:59 - May 18 by Ryorry

Cheers, I'd just googled to check out that issue & got same answer!

Any recommendations? I do want a good quality camera with it, good battery, easy to use (I'm used to apple :( ) with bigg-ish buttons if poss, and under £200 if poss ...

https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g-gen-4

I was using my son's old 3rd generation Moto G for a while having come from an Apple 4S and it was good. Better camera and using Android File Transfer to my mac desktop was fine. Unfortunately I broke the Moto G so am back on the 4S.

My wife may be upgrading her 5S soon, in which case I will move to that. If not, I'll probably get another Motorola.
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 12:33 - May 18 with 2721 viewsRyorry

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 12:11 - May 18 by soupytwist

https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g-gen-4

I was using my son's old 3rd generation Moto G for a while having come from an Apple 4S and it was good. Better camera and using Android File Transfer to my mac desktop was fine. Unfortunately I broke the Moto G so am back on the 4S.

My wife may be upgrading her 5S soon, in which case I will move to that. If not, I'll probably get another Motorola.

Cheers

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 13:07 - May 18 with 2698 viewsbluebud

I stopped using my Iphone4 about a month ago for similar reasons.

...I got a Samsung J5 and it's absolutely brilliant. Reception is so much better and don't worry about photo uploading and all that, it's just as easy.
Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 13:38 - May 18 with 2680 viewsVaughan8

Been recommended to upgrade my iPhone4 to iPhone5S on 20:56 - May 17 by EJP

Don't think 5S or 5C are made anymore - been superceded by iPhone SE.
Music Magpie is a good place to look - my daughter bought a 6 + from
there and it's immaculate.

There seems to be SIM free 5s here

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/apple/iphone-5s.html#!colour=silver&capacity=1

£289!

A new phone would be better as (as you say) these pho es seem.to have rubbish batteries after a year or so!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024