Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? 08:03 - Jul 24 with 4179 viewstextbackup

The smallest things, like saying he wants the wingers to have confidence and take a man on, has been greeted with such positive responses. But in reality it’s such a small thing to ask if attacking players.

He could finish 15th, but have us showing some attacking intent with a with nice passes and we’ll be like pig in sht!

Many of us have been crying out for this for years and it’s so exciting to think this is us for next season.

I honestly believe someone like Grant Ward will flourish with these words in his head, let the guy go at his man.

Blackburn can’t come soon enough
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 8:04]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:09 - Jul 24 with 2891 viewstextbackup

LOl blueallover, assume that was the wrong arrow u pressed?

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:11 - Jul 24 with 2871 viewsDanTheMan

I don't think Hurst gives a monkeys in all honesty. Doesn't strike me as that sort of person.

He seems to have a very clear idea about how he wants his teams to play and it thankfully lines up with what the fans want. It was one of the reasons he was hired after all.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:13 - Jul 24 with 2855 viewsHerbivore

I'm looking forward to the season but I think you're being naive if you think that a lot of our fan base would be happy with 15th even with attacking football. Jewell mostly played attacking football and we wanted him out because he couldn't get results consistently (think we finished 15th in his only full season). It's easy to say now that all we want is more positive football, I think if the reality is that we're more positive but only winning every 3 or 4 games and we're bobbing along in lower mid table the enthusiasm will soon go. Having said that, I'm optimistic that we can finish a little higher up than that anyway. I don't see us seriously challenging the play offs but top half shouldn't be an unrealistic target even with making some changes.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 8:14]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:17 - Jul 24 with 2827 viewstextbackup

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:13 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

I'm looking forward to the season but I think you're being naive if you think that a lot of our fan base would be happy with 15th even with attacking football. Jewell mostly played attacking football and we wanted him out because he couldn't get results consistently (think we finished 15th in his only full season). It's easy to say now that all we want is more positive football, I think if the reality is that we're more positive but only winning every 3 or 4 games and we're bobbing along in lower mid table the enthusiasm will soon go. Having said that, I'm optimistic that we can finish a little higher up than that anyway. I don't see us seriously challenging the play offs but top half shouldn't be an unrealistic target even with making some changes.

I’m saying it because for so long we’ve been this defensive team that concede awful goals, so a bit of attacking intent will be a good pick me up for the fan base

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:19 - Jul 24 with 2802 viewsBluefish

Do you want to hear the truth or would you rather stay naively excited?

If it is the former carry on reading

Hurst is giving out lines they will be popular to win over a set of fans that have created a well known image of being fickle. He can chuck a couple of soundbytes and they will lap it up and regardless of what happens on the pitch they will day he is amazing. Milne probably fed him the lines and he read them off a piece of paper. He probably chose to come here because he realised that out supporters are easily swayed and don't really have a clue.

If it is the latter stop reading before you get to the paragraph above or you will get all upset at me again

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:30 - Jul 24 with 2741 viewsHerbivore

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:17 - Jul 24 by textbackup

I’m saying it because for so long we’ve been this defensive team that concede awful goals, so a bit of attacking intent will be a good pick me up for the fan base

I get what you're saying, I just also know what our fans are like and I know that regardless of how we're playing a significant chunk of our fans will be wetting their knickers if we are bobbing along around 15th place all season. Ultimately it doesn't matter what Hurst says in preseason, he'll be judged by what happens on the pitch.

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:33 - Jul 24 with 2722 viewseddiespearitt03

McCarthys football and one-liners bored many town supporters into staying at home by the time he left.
it is refreshing to have a manager actually trying to build an attacking team with an attacking mentality. Of course it can go either way but with Paul Hurst I feel he has the intelligence to make the right adjustments. what is more important is the work ethic he will demand which will come as a surprise to some players. If the team becomes a real attacking threat with pace then hopefully it will be the other team defending. COYB.
Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:39 - Jul 24 with 2675 viewsunstableblue

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:13 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

I think you should give the fans more credit Herbivore.

I and I think the majority would be happy with 15th as long as we’ve seen marked progress in our system of play and Hurst has managed to reverse and rectify the negative system and ethos drummed into the team.

Now to be fair to Mick he felt that was the way to avoid relegation; but at what cost?

It’s going to be really hard to reverse the damage and I think new players will be key. I actually think 15th but with more dynamic and exciting football is an achievement.

The following season should hopefully see us push on further.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:43 - Jul 24 with 2648 viewsHerbivore

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:39 - Jul 24 by unstableblue

I think you should give the fans more credit Herbivore.

I and I think the majority would be happy with 15th as long as we’ve seen marked progress in our system of play and Hurst has managed to reverse and rectify the negative system and ethos drummed into the team.

Now to be fair to Mick he felt that was the way to avoid relegation; but at what cost?

It’s going to be really hard to reverse the damage and I think new players will be key. I actually think 15th but with more dynamic and exciting football is an achievement.

The following season should hopefully see us push on further.

Agree to disagree. There will be unrest amongst some if we're mired in the bottom half. We're already seeing complaints in some quarters that we're a League 1 team on the basis that we're signing players from League 1. Football fans are very fickle. Also, I hate to say this but Hurst's success has been built on his sides being well organised and adept at stopping the opposition whilst being good on the counter themselves. We'll keep it on the deck more and we will be positive when we have the ball, but it's not going to be free flowing stuff necessarily. He represents an evolution from Mick in terms of style, not a sea change.

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:44 - Jul 24 with 2645 viewstextbackup

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:19 - Jul 24 by Bluefish

Hurst is giving out lines they will be popular to win over a set of fans that have created a well known image of being fickle. He can chuck a couple of soundbytes and they will lap it up and regardless of what happens on the pitch they will day he is amazing. Milne probably fed him the lines and he read them off a piece of paper. He probably chose to come here because he realised that out supporters are easily swayed and don't really have a clue.

If it is the latter stop reading before you get to the paragraph above or you will get all upset at me again

SO what you’re trying to to say is promotion by Xmas is guaranteed.... I knew it!

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 08:51 - Jul 24 with 2585 viewsBloots

....the question really is do we have the players to carry out this style of play?

This question applies to both the existing players and the incoming ones.

The previous manager was plainly convinced that we didn't have the players or the budget to, so he reverted to type and played crap containing football, resulting in mid table dullness and obscurity.

In my opinion the existing players aren't good enough to play full on attacking football without getting caught in possession leaving the defence exposed.

Whether the budget given to spend on players from the 3rd/4th division gives us the required quality to play in this new buccaneering style remains to be seen.

Hopefully it does, but we'll have to wait and see.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 2572 viewsunstableblue

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:43 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

Agree to disagree. There will be unrest amongst some if we're mired in the bottom half. We're already seeing complaints in some quarters that we're a League 1 team on the basis that we're signing players from League 1. Football fans are very fickle. Also, I hate to say this but Hurst's success has been built on his sides being well organised and adept at stopping the opposition whilst being good on the counter themselves. We'll keep it on the deck more and we will be positive when we have the ball, but it's not going to be free flowing stuff necessarily. He represents an evolution from Mick in terms of style, not a sea change.

You make a great point - I have ‘resigned’ myself to the key fact that even at home against weaker teams we aren’t going to dominate posession and the game. That’s not Hursts game.

But will he provide excitement and some consistent attacking - yes I think so.

That’s what will bring fans back - that’s what was so wrong with the last 2 seasons there was nothing of merit to warrant going.

Of course you are right about a minority moaning and being negative - some of the Div 1 comments are already frustrating. But a much larger group do understand the budget restrictions and what Hurst is going to have to do.

Hurst’s biggest challenge is the ‘hangover’ in style.

But I loved our new striker’s comment on how difficult the shrews were to play against... and what we need is dynamic attacks on the break to be added.

The only concern with Hurst for me is he does seem to have a very tired squad by the spring... that’s why we need numbers... and hopefully the risky signings of Adeyemi and Huws to finally get fit.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 2570 viewsHerbivore

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 08:51 - Jul 24 by Bloots

....the question really is do we have the players to carry out this style of play?

The previous manager was plainly convinced that we didn't have the players or the budget to, so he reverted to type and played crap containing football, resulting in mid table dullness and obscurity.

In my opinion the existing players aren't good enough to play full on attacking football without getting caught in possession leaving the defence exposed.

Whether the budget given to spend on players from the 3rd/4th division gives us the required quality to play in this new buccaneering style remains to be seen.

We won't be playing full on attacking football.

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 2569 viewsStokieBlue

I really don't know how this season is going to go, it's going to be an interesting few months and I am hopeful.

As for his comment, the only player who really drove at defenders at Barnet was Edwards. In the majority of cases, when someone got to an attacking position out wide then tended to go backwards. Once it went from the opposition corner flag back to Bart. A lot of that was good pressing from Barnet but the mindset did seem to be there to be honest.

It's exciting though, sometimes just a change can be good.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:54 - Jul 24 with 2557 viewsBluefish

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:44 - Jul 24 by textbackup

SO what you’re trying to to say is promotion by Xmas is guaranteed.... I knew it!

And we will beat the scum 4 times this season

Just think when we go up and they down we will probably never meet again. I can't wait until I can tweet them about not losing to them 150 years

Unless we buy some defenders.... on 08:56 - Jul 24 with 2536 viewsBloots

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 08:53 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

....we won't have any choice.

Unless we buy some defenders.... on 08:58 - Jul 24 with 2514 viewsHerbivore

Unless we buy some defenders.... on 08:56 - Jul 24 by Bloots

....we won't have any choice.

Fair point!

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 09:06 - Jul 24 with 2479 viewsOsborneOneNil

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 08:53 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

But it’ll be better than the dross from before eh.
Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 09:14 - Jul 24 with 2453 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's a lot of positives coming out, but ultimately all the talk at this stage is pretty meaningless. The reaction has been a bit OTT. We won't know whether progress is being made until the performances in the league are good and the results start to follow. Hopefully that's what'll happen and we're not going to struggle from the general lack of quality.

Maybe it just reflects how desperate we all are to hear something positive?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It does remind me of Evans' "interview"..... on 09:18 - Jul 24 with 2425 viewsBloots

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 09:14 - Jul 24 by Swansea_Blue

There's a lot of positives coming out, but ultimately all the talk at this stage is pretty meaningless. The reaction has been a bit OTT. We won't know whether progress is being made until the performances in the league are good and the results start to follow. Hopefully that's what'll happen and we're not going to struggle from the general lack of quality.

Maybe it just reflects how desperate we all are to hear something positive?

....at the end of last season.

"Oi Hursty, just get a few pre prepared soundbites ready and chuck them in at random points. Make sure they tick all the boxes that the fans want and you'll buy yourself at least 6 months.

I did it a few months back and it worked a treat"

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 09:21 - Jul 24 with 2409 viewscrazyblue68

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:43 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

l fully expect us to struggle, more so if we dont get some central defenders in. So far we have brought kids in who havent played at this level. We could get hammered every week, or we may surprise a few teams, l hope its the latter, but looking at things at the moment, l will be impressed if we manage 15th.
Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 09:22 - Jul 24 with 2406 viewschicoazul

Whilst it's obviously refreshing to hear these soundbites.... on 08:51 - Jul 24 by Bloots

Talking about budget, don't think I haven't noticed that Hurst has so far spent more or less the same as Mick did in the previous two summer windows, oh no. That Webster FIFA Knight money is untouched so far.

I'M WATCHING YOU EVANS

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 09:29 - Jul 24 with 2345 viewsBiGDonnie

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 08:19 - Jul 24 by Bluefish

"He probably chose to come here because he realised that out supporters are easily swayed and don't really have a clue."

LOL, guaranteed that had absolutely nothing to do with it.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

It does remind me of Evans' "interview"..... on 09:30 - Jul 24 with 2338 viewsSwansea_Blue

It does remind me of Evans' "interview"..... on 09:18 - Jul 24 by Bloots

....at the end of last season.

"Oi Hursty, just get a few pre prepared soundbites ready and chuck them in at random points. Make sure they tick all the boxes that the fans want and you'll buy yourself at least 6 months.

I did it a few months back and it worked a treat"

A cynic could think that (and big part of me is quite cynical!).

I suspect any good will is quite fragile at the moment. A run of a few bad games and the flouncers will be out in force, despite what anyone says now about it being a building project. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 09:34 - Jul 24 with 2298 viewsBluefish

Do you reckon Hurst thinks we are all easily pleased? on 09:29 - Jul 24 by BiGDonnie

"He probably chose to come here because he realised that out supporters are easily swayed and don't really have a clue."

LOL, guaranteed that had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I heard that he didn't want to make that statement but Evans and Milne were adamant. In the end they wouldn't sanction the Harrison signing until he agree. Hursty had told them that no football fans would fall for it and he would be embarrassed but they assured him that Ipswich isn't the hotbed of football that Grimsby or Shrewsbury are and that our fans would lap it up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024