Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Uighurs in China 09:48 - Aug 7 with 1637 viewsStokieBlue

I don’t think I’ve seen the treatment of the Uighurs by China mentioned much on here. Plenty on Israel and it’s horrible policies but China seems to have taken things further with re-education centres and home-town arrests where nobody can leave the town.

It’s a long read but an interesting one:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/07/why-uighur-muslims-across-china-are

Because it’s China there doesn’t seem to be the will to call them out on it like other countries.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Uighurs in China on 09:49 - Aug 7 with 1630 viewschicoazul

Peter Hitchens did an excellent longform article on them a while back (maybe even 10 years ago), he went to visit them and discussed exactly what you allude to.

EDIT; found it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1233439/Special-Investigation-PETER-HI
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 9:50]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Uighurs in China on 10:02 - Aug 7 with 1594 viewsClapham_Junction

Unfortunately the Chinese government are extremely sensitive about stuff like this and exert a lot of economic power over people not in line with their thinking - for example blocking websites of firms that list Taiwan as a separate country. Or things like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-44049224

When I visited Tibet about three years ago, it was basically under military occupation - huge amounts of army on the outskirts of Lhasa, columns of troops marching round the city centre and every building forced to fly a brand new Chinese flag.

It's interesting trying to talk to Chinese people about the concept of independence for Tibet or East Turkestan. Their only response is 'it's part of China' and they can't really get beyond that concept. I have a Chinese colleague who lived in Scotland for years and supported Scottish independence, but when I asked her whether she'd support Tibetan independence it was an immediate 'no'.
Uighurs in China on 10:11 - Aug 7 with 1568 viewsBlueDiamond

Uighurs in China on 09:49 - Aug 7 by chicoazul

Peter Hitchens did an excellent longform article on them a while back (maybe even 10 years ago), he went to visit them and discussed exactly what you allude to.

EDIT; found it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1233439/Special-Investigation-PETER-HI
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 9:50]

China are a law unto themselves. Or rather their one party state government is.

The only way anything will change there is if the rest of the World hits them in their pocket .

I would find it hard to say a good word about the subject of human rights there (or animal) and I try to avoid buying their goods.

On that Trump is correct. They have not played fair on the world trade stage and their slave produced items have cost jobs in the West.

But faced with cheap tat from China and higher priced locally produced goods - most people go for the cheap option.

So China is quite happy to do as it likes and ignore the protests of anyone else!
Uighurs in China on 10:13 - Aug 7 with 1564 viewsDavland

Having lived in Xinjiang for a year, mainly within a Han community, i'll read these articles with interest when i get time today. You don't learn as much as you would think being in the country as discussion on the topic is not encouraged however when i visited Tibet i heard all sorts of stories about the occupation of this region. Tit for tat stories such as the Chinese government erecting a Chinese flag on a hill so it was just higher than the Potala Palace to the appalling where it is claimed Han Chinese could order organs for transplant and they would be available the next day.. you can guess how that would be possible.
Uighurs in China on 10:18 - Aug 7 with 1538 viewsStokieBlue

Uighurs in China on 10:02 - Aug 7 by Clapham_Junction

Unfortunately the Chinese government are extremely sensitive about stuff like this and exert a lot of economic power over people not in line with their thinking - for example blocking websites of firms that list Taiwan as a separate country. Or things like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-44049224

When I visited Tibet about three years ago, it was basically under military occupation - huge amounts of army on the outskirts of Lhasa, columns of troops marching round the city centre and every building forced to fly a brand new Chinese flag.

It's interesting trying to talk to Chinese people about the concept of independence for Tibet or East Turkestan. Their only response is 'it's part of China' and they can't really get beyond that concept. I have a Chinese colleague who lived in Scotland for years and supported Scottish independence, but when I asked her whether she'd support Tibetan independence it was an immediate 'no'.

Many Chinese (including the government) see vast swathes of SE Asia as basically historically part of China. The actual historical case for this is pretty sketchy, China hasn't really ever had borders larger than it has now but they consider all places where ethnic Chinese live as areas that should really be part of China.

They have even mentioned Siberia in such as way - good luck getting that back off the Russkis.

Here's and article on the above subject with regards to Singapore:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/world/asia/singapore-china.html

As you've pointed out, the double-standards are pretty incredible.

SB

Uighurs in China on 10:25 - Aug 7 with 1523 viewsCoastalblue

Uighurs in China on 10:13 - Aug 7 by Davland

Having lived in Xinjiang for a year, mainly within a Han community, i'll read these articles with interest when i get time today. You don't learn as much as you would think being in the country as discussion on the topic is not encouraged however when i visited Tibet i heard all sorts of stories about the occupation of this region. Tit for tat stories such as the Chinese government erecting a Chinese flag on a hill so it was just higher than the Potala Palace to the appalling where it is claimed Han Chinese could order organs for transplant and they would be available the next day.. you can guess how that would be possible.

I remember reading a piece some time ago that alluded to some Chinese political prisoners and I believe detained monks being farmed for organs.

I've no links so this is obviously just anecdotal now, but it really wouldn't surprise me. A country I wouldn't choose to visit due to their human rights. I expect one day in the future they will end up visiting us, long after I'm gone I expect.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Uighurs in China on 12:03 - Aug 7 with 1464 viewsGuthrum

Uighurs in China on 10:18 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

Many Chinese (including the government) see vast swathes of SE Asia as basically historically part of China. The actual historical case for this is pretty sketchy, China hasn't really ever had borders larger than it has now but they consider all places where ethnic Chinese live as areas that should really be part of China.

They have even mentioned Siberia in such as way - good luck getting that back off the Russkis.

Here's and article on the above subject with regards to Singapore:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/world/asia/singapore-china.html

As you've pointed out, the double-standards are pretty incredible.

SB

Depends which China you're talking about. At various times historically, under different dynasties, the Chinese border has come a long way west. Arguably, the Uighurs themselves could be said to have arrived later than the earliest Chinese presence in the region, being part of the Mongol expansion in around the 9th century.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Uighurs in China on 12:21 - Aug 7 with 1432 viewsStokieBlue

Uighurs in China on 12:03 - Aug 7 by Guthrum

Depends which China you're talking about. At various times historically, under different dynasties, the Chinese border has come a long way west. Arguably, the Uighurs themselves could be said to have arrived later than the earliest Chinese presence in the region, being part of the Mongol expansion in around the 9th century.

Do you have any maps of China with those borders? As far as I knew China wasn't a unified state anywhere near those borders, more competing empires.

This is the map of China under the Song dynasty which was the 9th century:

SB
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 12:22]

Login to get fewer ads

Uighurs in China on 12:24 - Aug 7 with 1421 viewsClapham_Junction

Uighurs in China on 12:21 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

Do you have any maps of China with those borders? As far as I knew China wasn't a unified state anywhere near those borders, more competing empires.

This is the map of China under the Song dynasty which was the 9th century:

SB
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 12:22]

This shows the evolution of Chinese borders over time:

Uighurs in China on 12:32 - Aug 7 with 1400 viewsGlasgowBlue

Uighurs in China on 12:24 - Aug 7 by Clapham_Junction

Fascinating

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Uighurs in China on 12:47 - Aug 7 with 1370 viewsStokieBlue

Uighurs in China on 12:24 - Aug 7 by Clapham_Junction

That's great - thanks!

It does show that not many (one dynasty) has had borders bigger than the current Chinese borders so it does kind of back-up my point that they don't really have a historical claim to certain parts of SE Asia that they seem to want.

SB

Uighurs in China on 13:21 - Aug 7 with 1347 viewsGuthrum

Uighurs in China on 12:47 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

That's great - thanks!

It does show that not many (one dynasty) has had borders bigger than the current Chinese borders so it does kind of back-up my point that they don't really have a historical claim to certain parts of SE Asia that they seem to want.

SB

With regard to SE Asia (as opposed to central Asia), the Chinese mounted naval expeditions over a very wide area, possibly as far as the African coast. They claim that these extracted tribute and acknowlegement of suzerainty from rulers they encountered. This has been used as a basis for territorial claims by more recent Chinese governments.

In reality, the claims are highly tenuous. But when backed up by China's new navy, they carry some weight.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024