Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors 10:28 - May 10 with 779 viewsMullet

Weirdest fight card to watch ever quite possibly. While the fans often annoy different groups in MMA, there's something really sterile about fights without them. It's like watching a fight camp in the gym at times.

Can't see how football will be any different. What's the point of a stunning knock out or 30 yard thunderbastard if there's no one there to get all emotional over it? Did anyone watch the Korean game? Was it engaging at all?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 11:35 - May 10 with 733 viewsJ2BLUE

I enjoyed the Korea game. Obviously it's different. They presented it in a different way to closed door games in the past. The noise of the players was completely taken away. You only heard the commentator which was strange but soon got used to it.

I think closed door games need to be in small stadiums rather than pointlessly using Wembley/Old Trafford etc.

I thought the UFC worked fairly well as there were loads of people there anyway and the dark arena works well without fans. In contrast to WWE having a brightly lit arena which magnifies the lack of crowd.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 12:08 - May 10 with 714 viewsMullet

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 11:35 - May 10 by J2BLUE

I enjoyed the Korea game. Obviously it's different. They presented it in a different way to closed door games in the past. The noise of the players was completely taken away. You only heard the commentator which was strange but soon got used to it.

I think closed door games need to be in small stadiums rather than pointlessly using Wembley/Old Trafford etc.

I thought the UFC worked fairly well as there were loads of people there anyway and the dark arena works well without fans. In contrast to WWE having a brightly lit arena which magnifies the lack of crowd.

It's not unprecedented in terms of TUF but those were very different fights.

I liked being able to hear the coaches and hits land with the fighters audible. It made it a bit more cerebral and showed MMA is way for sophisticated than the casual assumes. But I think there's a Wednesday/Saturday roll out of cards this week. That will be strange to binge on.

A distinct lack of grappling too, I wonder if that was just the match ups or indicative that without the crowd and sense of urgency when you get hit fighters are more patient on their feet and time their takedowns like Cerrone was doing.

Even world class wrestlers like Cejudo and Ferguson didn't go to their strong suits really until it was too late in the round to be effective.

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 12:48 - May 10 with 696 viewstractorboy2000

Thought it was a pretty good card overall, Gaethje put on an absolute clinic and it's testament to how tough Ferguson really is that he lasted until the 5th because he got caught with numerous big hits that were highlighted by the lack of crowd.

Slightly disappointed that it probably means the end of the Khabib vs Ferguson saga as I can't see that fight being made now, ridiculous that it never managed to happen but I think Gaetjhe will be Khabib's toughest fight if he can perform to that level again but I still think Khabib will have too much for him.

Poll: Which goal was better?
Blog: Views of a Young(ish) Town Fan

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 16:23 - May 10 with 661 viewsTIB

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 12:48 - May 10 by tractorboy2000

Thought it was a pretty good card overall, Gaethje put on an absolute clinic and it's testament to how tough Ferguson really is that he lasted until the 5th because he got caught with numerous big hits that were highlighted by the lack of crowd.

Slightly disappointed that it probably means the end of the Khabib vs Ferguson saga as I can't see that fight being made now, ridiculous that it never managed to happen but I think Gaetjhe will be Khabib's toughest fight if he can perform to that level again but I still think Khabib will have too much for him.

The lack of crowd was bizarre!!! It was like watching some underground fight club but in a really nice environment...I almost wished they’d made the whole thing look grimey!!!

Gaethje looks something else and as he mentioned in post fight with Joe Rogan, he’s fighting smarter now which is where he needs to be if he has any chance against Khabib. That’s got to be the fight now as it looks like Connor will be fighting Masvidal on “Fight Island”!?!

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 16:41 - May 10 with 646 viewsMullet

UFC 249 and sport behind closed doors on 12:48 - May 10 by tractorboy2000

Dana has put on far worse main events that's for sure. Even the undercard had some fighters on it.

I'm not sure it was a clinic as such given Tony nearly finished him at the end of the 2nd. He was definitely saved by the bell there. But the way he did Ferguson what he's done to others was really impressive. You could see Tony's nervous system was all over the place after that final jab.

In fairness to Gaethje I didn't think he'd beat Ferguson and would get rushing him but he obviously showed good restraint. I'd still back Khabib to beat him, but it'll be interesting if Gaethje can land when he leaves his chin out.

Khabib is far more likely to get it to the ground, had Tony done that he'd have had a much easier fight.

I still think Pettis' reaction at the end of their fight showed the judges got it wrong. You wonder if the crowd would have influenced them more as Cerrone had the takedowns and final flurry. Cruz's stoppage looked good but the arena would have murdered that ref normally too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024