Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lamberts only partly to blame 14:14 - Jan 27 with 1068 viewsmonkeymagic

I hope it’s largely Lamberts fault and a new manager would see us promoted but I fear the problem is mostly a lack of ability. Most of us would pick a first 11 from the following:
Holy : no more than a competent league one keeper.
Chambers : even at his best, only a makeshift right back, no longer up to it.
KVY : probably a championship defender but who knows.
Ward : let go by a mid table championship club, legs gone.
Wolf: probably a championship defender in the making, not there yet.
McGuinness : ditto Wolf.
Bishop : never fit or selected often enough to form an objective view.
Dozzell : might progress to steady championship midfielder, not there yet.
Downes : top flight potential, but long way to go and doesn’t exactly stand out at L 1 level for now.
Judge : championship at his peak, way past that now.
Nolan : L1, at best.
Edwards : if used correctly, top end L1 at his best.
Jackson : just about proven at L1 level, doesn’t look up to championship standard.
Norwood : never played higher up and not likely to now.
Hawkins : released by L1 rival.
Thomas : on loan from struggling championships club probably no more than a good L1player.
Harrop : ditto Thomas.

Based on the above, are we even underperforming or are we actually just not very good? I think a more capable manager could push the group to 6th but not much more. The problems run far deeper than who the manager is. A new manager will reignite interest and help bolster season ticket sales but I’m not confident we’ll get it right and be much better on the pitch.
Lamberts only partly to blame on 14:16 - Jan 27 with 1048 viewschrismakin

Like the sky pundits said last night theres a lot of players in our squad who any manager in league 1 would want. Its ridiculous for this level of football.

Which makes Lamberts performance even more shocking

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Lamberts only partly to blame on 14:20 - Jan 27 with 1000 viewsBlueForYou

A good manager blends a team together which is greater than the sum of its parts. A good manager then works with those team members to improve their individual part. A bad one does the opposite.
Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:05 - Jan 27 with 918 viewsstiff_talking

Lamberts only partly to blame on 14:20 - Jan 27 by BlueForYou

A good manager blends a team together which is greater than the sum of its parts. A good manager then works with those team members to improve their individual part. A bad one does the opposite.

John Nolan is our best midfielder

He is also playing injured and has persistent groin injury

We have got to build midfield around him
Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:06 - Jan 27 with 915 viewsHerbivore

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:05 - Jan 27 by stiff_talking

What the fook are you on about?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:08 - Jan 27 with 907 viewsDanTheMan

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:05 - Jan 27 by stiff_talking

Nolan isn't even in the top three best midfielders we have.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:09 - Jan 27 with 902 viewsGarv

You have missed off some players, but they're generally unproven youngsters and injury prone older pros. I think I agree with every player assessment you've given to be honest. Said for ages the squad is overrated.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:28 - Jan 27 with 850 viewsHerbivore

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:09 - Jan 27 by Garv

You have missed off some players, but they're generally unproven youngsters and injury prone older pros. I think I agree with every player assessment you've given to be honest. Said for ages the squad is overrated.

Yeah but we both know you've taken that line to take the heat off Lambert. Players we consider not good enough for us have been very good at this level in the past. Most of us wouldn't play Nolan and he was in the team of the year when he last played at this level with another side. Toto was also a standout. Edwards too. It's not that we're amazing on the whole, it's that this league really is toss and relative to other squads ours is very strong.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:29 - Jan 27 with 842 viewsParky

Good managers and staff tend to improve players and get the best out of them.

I honestly can’t name one player Lambert has improved or got the best out of, not a single player.
Login to get fewer ads

Lamberts only partly to blame on 17:14 - Jan 27 with 753 viewsBlueBadger

Lamberts only partly to blame on 15:09 - Jan 27 by Garv

If you seriously think that a halfway competent manager couldn't get our squad of upper third division and lower second division standard players comfortably promoted then you're even more deluded in your love for Lambert than you already look.

The squad of players we have mainly looks bad because we have a manager who is doing the bare minimum in terms of coaching, tactics and motivation.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 17:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lamberts only partly to blame on 17:22 - Jan 27 with 741 viewsKeaneish

This squad is a luxury compared to all other squads in League One. A couple of areas to be improved but let’s be honest, the coaching is dire - those players are going backwards because of Lambert, not in spite of him.

Last nights performance was actually half decent by a few but so what? If Mick likened turning Sunderland around to “trying to steer an oil tanker with a canoe paddle”, Lambert’s task of pulling this back is equally as big in my view.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Lamberts only partly to blame on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 715 viewsBlueBadger

Lamberts only partly to blame on 17:22 - Jan 27 by Keaneish

This squad is a luxury compared to all other squads in League One. A couple of areas to be improved but let’s be honest, the coaching is dire - those players are going backwards because of Lambert, not in spite of him.

Last nights performance was actually half decent by a few but so what? If Mick likened turning Sunderland around to “trying to steer an oil tanker with a canoe paddle”, Lambert’s task of pulling this back is equally as big in my view.

The difference here is, the mess we're in now, two years down the line is his own, in the main.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lamberts only partly to blame on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 713 viewsjayessess

This was the squad that Paul Lambert assembled/kept, despite having more resources that pretty much every other manager in the division. Either they're capable of more and they need a better manager to reach that potential or they aren't and we need a manager (and a recruitment team) who can, at minimum, identify players whose quality reflects what we're paying for them.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024