Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? 19:52 - Jul 29 with 3274 viewswkj

When one is job seeking, it is fair to assume most in the situation are under pressure or stress. It is a brutal pursuit with very little in the way of feedback. So when hiring parties make errors - you can appreciate my position is not one of emotional stability

Quick Summary:
I applied for a Job, something I feel qualified for, not the best of Salaries but something that I would be looking at some disposable income with. The hiring party (Public Sector) started using my application information in their test environment - which is fine, companies do this all the time.

However, the emails that it generates left the test environment, and ended up in my inbox. Said emails included a job offer. I was a bit confused as the job offer was different than what I had applied for, so I could see a mistake.

So, I called them - highlighted the mistake, and soon discovered the job offer itself was the mistake, not the information contained within. Their HR department issued a very low-key apology and explained the situation.

In Summary:

I was offered a job, then it was rescinded as it was a mistake. I can hardly complain about it as I am still 'under consideration for the job, however - you can bet your bottom dollar if I don't get the job, I will be wanting to make some waves around it, given how cruel jobseeking can be. The issue is, I am going to have to complain about a public sector agency, and I have entirely no clue what my rights are - if any.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:56 - Jul 29 with 2600 viewsWD19

Its all slightly academic. They could employ you and let you go the same day with zero rights.....and no contracts have been exchanged....so making waves is unlikely to achieve much. Maybe a sincere apology from a senior bod if you are lucky.
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:57 - Jul 29 with 2590 viewsIllinoisblue

You have the right to be annoyed and frustrated but beyond an apology I’m not sure there’s much else to be had here.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:58 - Jul 29 with 2581 viewsfactual_blue

Maybe it's an initiative test?

Trouble is, complaining might be the wrong response. And so might not complaining.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:58 - Jul 29 with 2579 viewsEddyJ

Sounds like a breach of GDPR, or whatever stands for GDPR post-Brexit.

The big issue here is them even using your information (name, email) in a test environment in the first place.

Information on how to complain here: https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/make-a-complaint
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:00 - Jul 29 with 2562 viewsHerbivore

Sadly I don't think you have any rights in that situation, mate. I was dismayed to learn recently just how few rights you have as an employee if you've been with you employer for under 2 years.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:06 - Jul 29 with 2500 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:58 - Jul 29 by factual_blue

Maybe it's an initiative test?

Trouble is, complaining might be the wrong response. And so might not complaining.

I don't know if I have the tenacity to complain to St Edmundsbury council about this - I don't think it usually goes that well.

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:07 - Jul 29 with 2488 viewsWeWereZombies

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:58 - Jul 29 by EddyJ

The big issue here is them even using your information (name, email) in a test environment in the first place.

Information on how to complain here: https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/make-a-complaint

Maybe the twigging that the apparent job offer was not right was the first part of the initiative test and this finding out what data protection there should be is the second part. The final part will be to decide what response wkj should make to the 'false' offer and breach of security. I would not suggest a direct complaint but, if in conversation on the subject, an enquiry along the lines of 'this wasn't best practice, what are you going to do to make sure it does not happen again?' Might be the type of management initiative they are looking for.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:08 - Jul 29 with 2489 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:06 - Jul 29 by wkj

I don't know if I have the tenacity to complain to St Edmundsbury council about this - I don't think it usually goes that well.

No kidding, I am quite stunned about how it all played out. We shall see - even if I do get the job, it doesn't bode well for my working environment seeing how HR/Recruitment is so far.

Login to get fewer ads

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:11 - Jul 29 with 2467 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 19:58 - Jul 29 by EddyJ

I will consider it, in some way - I think they can circumvent the GDPR issue as my information was sent to me, though I will ask the question as to if this information was sent only to me, or elsewhere

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:20 - Jul 29 with 2385 viewsDanTheMan

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:11 - Jul 29 by wkj

I will consider it, in some way - I think they can circumvent the GDPR issue as my information was sent to me, though I will ask the question as to if this information was sent only to me, or elsewhere

They still shouldn't be using it in a test environment as the original reason for collecting your data (as part of a job offer) was not for testing purposes.

So it was a GDPR breach.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:23 - Jul 29 with 2364 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:20 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

They still shouldn't be using it in a test environment as the original reason for collecting your data (as part of a job offer) was not for testing purposes.

So it was a GDPR breach.

I will head down this road once a decision is made then. I do know when I was doing training at a well-known insurance company in Ipswich, they processed data from their live database in the training environment to, so I assumed this was acceptable standards.

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:31 - Jul 29 with 2310 viewsDanTheMan

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:23 - Jul 29 by wkj

I will head down this road once a decision is made then. I do know when I was doing training at a well-known insurance company in Ipswich, they processed data from their live database in the training environment to, so I assumed this was acceptable standards.

Unless that data was anonymised or at least obfuscated, then that also should not have been happening.

It does happen all over the place though.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:34 - Jul 29 with 2282 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:31 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

Unless that data was anonymised or at least obfuscated, then that also should not have been happening.

It does happen all over the place though.

I must admit the company I was with has had more than a lifetime worth of Data Protection issues. I do have to laugh when they explained that this was conducted in a "Secure Training Environment"

Well... I do challenge the secure part, the evidence being I accessed it the same as I can the live system, including the email address of the Oracle technician who I presume was working with the system at the time.

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:36 - Jul 29 with 2276 viewsDurovigutum

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:20 - Jul 29 by DanTheMan

So it was a GDPR breach.

Very much a GDPR.

Key is what have you consented them to do with your data? If you have ticked a box somewhere that says "use my actual data in a test environment, probably with lower levels of security, with no consideration of basic requirements such as anonymisation, and then allow it out of the test environment into the real world" then you don't have a leg to stand on. I suspect you've just allowed them to use it for "provision of HR services" - therefore....
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:36 - Jul 29 with 2275 viewsGiant_Midget

This is a GDPR issue. https://www.sqlshack.com/using-production-data-testing-post-gdpr-world/

A company I worked for asked staff to input fake data to a test customer base. Some of the fake customer data input was a list of footballer names and the address given was the clubs ground. Anyway, somehow letters were issued to a number of these footballers, causing the club to contact the company asking what was up!
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:39 - Jul 29 with 2253 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:36 - Jul 29 by Durovigutum

Very much a GDPR.

Key is what have you consented them to do with your data? If you have ticked a box somewhere that says "use my actual data in a test environment, probably with lower levels of security, with no consideration of basic requirements such as anonymisation, and then allow it out of the test environment into the real world" then you don't have a leg to stand on. I suspect you've just allowed them to use it for "provision of HR services" - therefore....

Cheers. I will look into this very soon. Even if I get the job, I will explore this more and make a case. Naturally, I don't want to make waves before the job is actually filled.

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:41 - Jul 29 with 2236 viewsborge

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:00 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

Sadly I don't think you have any rights in that situation, mate. I was dismayed to learn recently just how few rights you have as an employee if you've been with you employer for under 2 years.

That's totally true ref less than two years' employment Herbivore, but the reverse is true post two years. It is very, very difficult for a scrupulous employer to get rid of an employee after that two year period, with the employee being very well protected. Unfortunately there are too many unscrupulous employers and too few employees who know their rights.

None of that helps ref the OP though...
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:42 - Jul 29 with 2232 viewsGeoffSentence

What are the chances you might want to apply for another job there in the future? If anything more than 'no chance at all' I wouldn't kick up a stink.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:44 - Jul 29 with 2210 viewswkj

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:42 - Jul 29 by GeoffSentence

What are the chances you might want to apply for another job there in the future? If anything more than 'no chance at all' I wouldn't kick up a stink.

To be honest, if there is a failing in the system, something the size of Oracle, then I am not too concerned. This is a public sector business after all. Do their security issues have wider-reaching problems? I feel it would be unethical of me not to make a stink about it.

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:47 - Jul 29 with 2194 viewsEireannach_gorm

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:00 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

Its OK, the EU regulations will .......... oh sorry about that!
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 21:03 - Jul 29 with 2099 viewsEddyJ

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:36 - Jul 29 by Giant_Midget

This is a GDPR issue. https://www.sqlshack.com/using-production-data-testing-post-gdpr-world/

A company I worked for asked staff to input fake data to a test customer base. Some of the fake customer data input was a list of footballer names and the address given was the clubs ground. Anyway, somehow letters were issued to a number of these footballers, causing the club to contact the company asking what was up!

A company I worked for had someone enter test data as follows:

Name: XXXXXXX
Phone Number: XXXXXX
Email: XXX.com

When a tester clicked on the email link they got a surprise.
Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 21:04 - Jul 29 with 2094 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:36 - Jul 29 by Durovigutum

Very much a GDPR.

I would imagine there would still be a case even with such a box being ticked as there is an argument that it was an unreasonable expectation and the small print is rarely truly read!

Can be pretty sure that such a box did not exist I would imagine.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 21:08 - Jul 29 with 2063 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 20:41 - Jul 29 by borge

That's totally true ref less than two years' employment Herbivore, but the reverse is true post two years. It is very, very difficult for a scrupulous employer to get rid of an employee after that two year period, with the employee being very well protected. Unfortunately there are too many unscrupulous employers and too few employees who know their rights.

None of that helps ref the OP though...

The question would be why a company would want to get rid of an employee after 2 years. If they are in breach of the terms of their employment, they become unable to fulfil the role required or the position becomes redundant there are perfectly adequate means for dismissing an employee.

Just as employees often don't know their rights (a union is always helpful for sound advice there), there are plenty of employers who don't know or follow the law as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 21:17 - Jul 29 with 2015 viewsDeano69

You probably need to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve from complaining/highlighting the error. What is your preferred outcome?

Other than name and email address was there any other personal data included in the email?
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 22:10]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 21:30 - Jul 29 with 1944 viewsborge

Job seeking: Offered a job in error. What are my rights? on 21:08 - Jul 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

The question would be why a company would want to get rid of an employee after 2 years. If they are in breach of the terms of their employment, they become unable to fulfil the role required or the position becomes redundant there are perfectly adequate means for dismissing an employee.

Just as employees often don't know their rights (a union is always helpful for sound advice there), there are plenty of employers who don't know or follow the law as well.

People change, performance dips, attitudes change. People may be perfectly capable initially and then become less so after time, or they can't evolve or grow in line with the company.

I agree, if there is a capabilities issue or the role becomes redundant then an employer can ultimately dispense with the employee, but rarely is it that straightforward or simple and it certainly isn't a quick process when it comes to capabilities or performance. It's especially not that easy or straightforward for a small company with limited resources.

An employee can hand in their notice at any point and in reality leave without even serving that notice period, whereas an employer (unless willing to take the risk of legal action) has to go through a much more complex and lengthy process to end the relationship.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024