Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A good Easter, in the cold light of day 10:45 - Apr 11 with 1777 viewsSomethingBlue

Think you'd always take four points from those two Easter games. It's a turnaround when a lot can go wrong — anyone else have flashbacks yesterday, in the last few minutes, to that horrendous afternoon at Rotherham in 2003 that screwed the season just after we'd hammered Pompey? Fortunately we avoided anything similar and in some respects finished the day in a slightly stronger position than when we started it.

It was one of those games where you never feel you've quite done enough to feel comfortable, even if they'd barely had an attack in the half-hour before the equaliser. Freakish goal, what can you do, they happen. We were a shade below our best levels throughout but think it was pretty much the expected style of game at that venue. Edwards improved us — increasingly clear that Harness will not advance with this team — but we really need Broadhead back pronto, if not for this weekend then definitely for the Posh-Barnsley double header. Ultimately it strikes me as a decent enough point away from home, back it up in the next week with two wins and it's actually more than decent.

Charlton will be difficult — good players, and an excellent one for this level in Rak-Sakyi, who are starting to perform as they should. Capable of scoring a few and will probably fancy having a go at us. Both sides to score seems a good bet, just need everyone to keep their heads.

Bottom line: do you fancy us *not* to come bottom of a six-game, three-way shoot-out with Weds and Plymouth. I think I do.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 10:57 - Apr 11 with 1707 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We matched Wednesday's points return and bettered Plymouth's by a point.

If we continue to do that we get promoted. Win the game in hand and we win the league.

COYB.

EDIT: It is also worth mentioning that, although the game in hand is seen as being Barnsley away, we have played 1 fewer home match than Wednesday. We have the same number of away matches left to play with us currently 1 draw better off away.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2023 11:00]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 10:59 - Apr 11 with 1702 viewsle2blue

Agree with that assessment, even after we took the lead it felt like they were going to have a set play or some other drama which would see them have an opportunity. As Kieran said, the point may well turn out to be a good one later on.

All of the rest of our games will be tricky in their own way but definitely prefer to be up against teams that will try and play through us, rather than playing the percentages to get set plays and time wasting. As shown in our recent run, we are so much better suited to that approach, and I fancy yesterday's game will serve as a good reminder of the focus needed from the team.

It also looks like Plymouth wobble maybe materialising, suspect that their poor away form is going to be an issue for them and they've been further decimated by injuries at the wrong time....admirable how they've coped so far with losing Cooper, Whittaker etc but looks like they're at the point where it has an impact.
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:08 - Apr 11 with 1621 viewsBseaBlue

I thought we played really well yesterday and were a goalkeeping mistake away from a very good away win. I thought Walton looked nervous yesterday as he did earlier in the season.

More to the point though, if Harness and Burns take their very good chances in the first half then we aren't left discussing it. Likewise, our shooting in the second half (Edwards, Chaplin and then Jackson all with chances to hit the target) was the real negative in my opinion, rather than focusing on the one mistake that cost us the goal.

We controlled the game. The midfield was again excellent and we still moved the ball around when on what was a very poor pitch. It was a shame Harness didnt take his opportunity but I am confident that if we keep playing like that, we will get promoted.
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:17 - Apr 11 with 1588 viewsIllinoisblue

Not convinced Barnsley can be dismissed from the picture. They have FGR Saturday. Any slip/s from the top three and they’re right in the mix.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:26 - Apr 11 with 1516 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Home win and away point - 2ppg is certainly no disaster. Just the feeling of what could have been. Now to see if we have bouncebackability!

Need to win the next two home games or I feel playoffs beckon. Will be a real test of character.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2023 11:26]
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:28 - Apr 11 with 1501 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:17 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

Not convinced Barnsley can be dismissed from the picture. They have FGR Saturday. Any slip/s from the top three and they’re right in the mix.

It would be quite extraordinary for them to make up a 5 point gap over 6 matches. If they win all 6 of their fixtures they get 96 points and that will be enough I am sure. Their current 6-match form is 12 points. That gets them to 90 points and leaves them relying on 2 of:

Wednesday getting no more than 6 points from 5 matches
Plymouth and us getting no more than 7 points from 6 matches (or our GD turning around against theirs by 15 if we got 8 points).

The chances of Barnsley getting involved is reminiscent of fans saying any club below us with a game in hand and on decent form was going to catch us and we had therefore blown it.

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:32 - Apr 11 with 1462 viewsFtnfwest

Agree, Charlton extra important now as i think PV are in relative freefall at the moment. Need Broady back for Charlton if possible and then rest him against PV if necessary, as even without him we'd be much more likely to win that one. Still what happens, happens...
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:44 - Apr 11 with 1415 viewstextbackup

I don’t wish to harp on about it, but the goal wasn’t really ‘freakish’ it was a mistake/misjudgment by Walton.
I’m really struggling to understand why calling that out is becoming such a terrible thing to do. (Not aimed at the OP here, just in general)
Outfield players are called out for a bad miss (harness/burns for example) why is Walton off limits? Is it purely because he’s kept so many clean sheets? Or are people just wanting to remain ultra positive?
End of the day it doesn’t really matter because we’ll all move on from that

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:49 - Apr 11 with 1380 viewsle2blue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:44 - Apr 11 by textbackup

I don’t wish to harp on about it, but the goal wasn’t really ‘freakish’ it was a mistake/misjudgment by Walton.
I’m really struggling to understand why calling that out is becoming such a terrible thing to do. (Not aimed at the OP here, just in general)
Outfield players are called out for a bad miss (harness/burns for example) why is Walton off limits? Is it purely because he’s kept so many clean sheets? Or are people just wanting to remain ultra positive?

Well, you could say a mistake from Walton is pretty freakish given his performance levels over the season! 99.9% of the time he collects that type of ball with no problem, clearly the wind meant he misjudged and made a mistake. He really shouldn't have come for it but I suspect he was trying to be confident and relieve any pressure, shame is it did the opposite effect.

No benefit from being overly critical, we just need to acknowledge that it was a major pisser at the time and now put it in its box and look forward.
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:52 - Apr 11 with 1354 viewstextbackup

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:49 - Apr 11 by le2blue

Well, you could say a mistake from Walton is pretty freakish given his performance levels over the season! 99.9% of the time he collects that type of ball with no problem, clearly the wind meant he misjudged and made a mistake. He really shouldn't have come for it but I suspect he was trying to be confident and relieve any pressure, shame is it did the opposite effect.

No benefit from being overly critical, we just need to acknowledge that it was a major pisser at the time and now put it in its box and look forward.

He ran out of his area almost immediately after that again too, rush of blood or whatever it was

Hopefully that’s his mistakes gone until the end of season now, as we need him in tip top condition

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:52 - Apr 11 with 1352 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It is a bad mistake from Walton and he made a poor decision shortly after too.

However, the wind was gusting and the ball catches in it. Had it not done so, the ball carries comfortably to Walton who does not come as far as he ends up doing so. It is possible to see why he made the mistake.

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:53 - Apr 11 with 1347 viewsportmanking

You're right, there's no point being ultra critical, but it really was a quite bizarre rush of blood to the head, wasn't it? We were in total control, minimal pressure on our penalty area. Woolfie was getting his bonce on everything. Walton just sprints out the length of the penalty area for no real reason. If he felt it was flying into his six yard box, he would have just caught it in his midriff.
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:01 - Apr 11 with 1309 viewsDyland

Agree, don't see why the error can't be called out. The wind was a mitigating factor though and meant, imo, it wasn't such a ridiculous mistake some have made out. I thought we looked alright, notwithstanding some sloppiness from pretty much everyone at certain points, and as someone else commented, should have won but could have lost. So a point all in all is not such a bad thing. We shall see I guess :)

Certainly didn't have our shooting boots on, but that happens even to Man City. We had enough chances on another day to have been two or three clear before the windy fart mix up. I don't see how this is a new narrative like a handful have made out, but let's see how we respond on Saturday.

COYFB
[Post edited 11 Apr 2023 12:01]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:06 - Apr 11 with 1254 viewsIllinoisblue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:28 - Apr 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

It would be quite extraordinary for them to make up a 5 point gap over 6 matches. If they win all 6 of their fixtures they get 96 points and that will be enough I am sure. Their current 6-match form is 12 points. That gets them to 90 points and leaves them relying on 2 of:

Wednesday getting no more than 6 points from 5 matches
Plymouth and us getting no more than 7 points from 6 matches (or our GD turning around against theirs by 15 if we got 8 points).

The chances of Barnsley getting involved is reminiscent of fans saying any club below us with a game in hand and on decent form was going to catch us and we had therefore blown it.

Extraordinary yes, but not impossible. They’ll get 3 pts at FGR while Plymouth have tricky game at Exeter and we have a tough game v Charlton. League table could look very different Saturday night.

62 - 78 - 81

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:10 - Apr 11 with 1235 viewsclive_baker

The nature of it is disappointing having dominated for the most part and done enough to win the game. The goal wasn't pretty and coming so close to the end is a kick in the b0llocks. In its own right its not a bad point though, and it's one of those results that's kind of judged based on what follows it. Back to back home wins in the next week and it'll look a tidy point on the road, in tough conditions against a stubborn opponent. If we're looking back after Port Vale on 10 points from 12 (and 31 from 33 or whatever that would make it) then it would be an incredible run of form that is guaranteed to have promotion (and perhaps the title) in our hands going in to the final 4 games.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:12 - Apr 11 with 1220 viewsle2blue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:06 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

Extraordinary yes, but not impossible. They’ll get 3 pts at FGR while Plymouth have tricky game at Exeter and we have a tough game v Charlton. League table could look very different Saturday night.

Love it illy, can tell you're a long-time Ipswich boy. Covering all bases for the emotional rollercoaster, I'm with you.

But we're in extraordinary times, KM has got us covered mate.
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:18 - Apr 11 with 1156 viewsIllinoisblue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:12 - Apr 11 by le2blue

Love it illy, can tell you're a long-time Ipswich boy. Covering all bases for the emotional rollercoaster, I'm with you.

But we're in extraordinary times, KM has got us covered mate.

You know it! Every waking hour, weighing up all the different possible outcomes. Then poring over rivals’ forums. Even just now I was checking out bookies odds on promotion. They have us odds-on favourites so nothing can go wrong now. Right? Right? They’re never wrong, right?

62 - 78 - 81

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:23 - Apr 11 with 1117 viewsCheltenham_Blue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 11:17 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

They have to play us.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:25 - Apr 11 with 1090 viewsnoggin

This is L1 and players make mistakes. Walton makes less than most others. He has been immense recently.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:26 - Apr 11 with 1084 viewsIllinoisblue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:23 - Apr 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

They have to play us.

Peterborough too, as do we.

62 - 78 - 81

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:28 - Apr 11 with 1069 viewsCheltenham_Blue

To be fair to CW. As a former goalkeeper at a relatively high level, when I saw that come in even I shouted 'KEEPERS' from the stand. It looked to be a straightforward catch for most keepers.

And then the wind held it up and he had to come an extra 5 yards to get it. Didn't help that Kenna backed in a little too.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:31 - Apr 11 with 1057 viewsSharkey

Doesn't really belong in this thread, maybe, but I see Barnsley play Peterborough on the last day of the season. By then you'd think they'd both be safely in the play-offs, (though Barnsley could still be still in with a shout of the automatics.)
Could be that they're both in a position to put out their B-teams, or it could be that they're trying to work out who they'd rather meet in the play-offs - and possibly be in a situation where they might prefer to lose.

(I think the Swedish ice-hockey play-off system is fun. The highest-place team gets to choose whom they play out of the other three, so if they like they can select the team just one below them in the table, if they think that their form is the worst or if they just tend to do well against them. So there is the potential for a little bit of insult attached!)
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:33 - Apr 11 with 1046 viewsle2blue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:18 - Apr 11 by Illinoisblue

You know it! Every waking hour, weighing up all the different possible outcomes. Then poring over rivals’ forums. Even just now I was checking out bookies odds on promotion. They have us odds-on favourites so nothing can go wrong now. Right? Right? They’re never wrong, right?

Absolutely never wrong...here's one to screw your head even further, I'm certain that Plymouth are not going to win another game till the last game of the season.

Losing at home having been smashed at Wembley, combined with their injuries, poor away form and last year's drop off is going to take its toll.

We just need to take care of business.
A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:49 - Apr 11 with 971 viewsLankHenners

For me I've looked at the final 8 games in two halves, with the first 4 an opportunity to put ourselves in the driving seat, and the final 4 one to hold onto it. As you say Charlton are belatedly starting to strut their stuff a bit and capable of pulling a big performance out of the bag but we have to be looking at all our home games as 3 points.

On that point, we have both games coming up at home whilst the other 3 of the top 4 are away twice. Nothing is a given but with upcoming fixtures for each team reading:

Town - Charlton (H), Port Vale (H)
Plymouth - Exeter (A), Shrewsbury (A)
Wednesday - Burton (A), Bristol Rovers (A)
Barnsley - FGR (A), Lincoln (A)

we should feel confident about kicking this mini-season off well. Can get tied up in knots looking too far ahead trying to work out the permutations of every fixture but a home double-header where we should look for 6 points is a perfect springboard to jump into two tough away games.

Saturday's fixture reminds me a bit of the Forest one at home in the playoff season under Mick - a game late in the season against a decent enough opponent with nothing to play for where the pressure is all on us to get the win. We know we've got enough about us to completely take the game away from the opposition at Portman Road and, to take another comparison from the 14/15 season, we've generally done pretty well at bouncing back from minor setbacks.

The important thing is everything is in our hands. Other teams' results may make things easier or more difficult for us but the focus from everyone has to be positive energy into what we can control only. Manage that and I think we'll be very happy come the end of the season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:53 - Apr 11 with 935 viewsIllinoisblue

A good Easter, in the cold light of day on 12:33 - Apr 11 by le2blue

Absolutely never wrong...here's one to screw your head even further, I'm certain that Plymouth are not going to win another game till the last game of the season.

Losing at home having been smashed at Wembley, combined with their injuries, poor away form and last year's drop off is going to take its toll.

We just need to take care of business.

It will be most opportune if Plymouth’s long awaited wobble finally comes in the last month of the season. Hopefully after next Tuesday’s games we’ll have a clearer picture of where we stand.

62 - 78 - 81

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024