Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crazy stats from McKenna 19:16 - Apr 19 with 2301 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:01 - Apr 19 with 1776 viewsBlueForYou

Who was Scott Duncan..??
Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:03 - Apr 19 with 1768 viewsCoastalblue

Much as I love what he's doing, and where we're going, I think we do have to apply some context to these things in terms of where we are and what our relative resources are.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:07 - Apr 19 with 1732 viewsgainsboroughblue

Joe Royle's tenure summed up beautifully with his top three placing for goals scored and bottom three placing for goals against.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:11 - Apr 19 with 1692 viewsxrayspecs

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:01 - Apr 19 by BlueForYou

Who was Scott Duncan..??

Played left back.

Was player manager for a while.

Decent.
Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:22 - Apr 19 with 1644 viewsBlueForYou

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:11 - Apr 19 by xrayspecs

Played left back.

Was player manager for a while.

Decent.

Manager before Sir Alf. Never knew anything about him. Held the post for 18 years, including the war years. Excuse my ignorance. Thanks for pointing that out.
Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:22 - Apr 19 with 1646 viewsnodge_blue

When you see the bottom two in that list it makes you wonder if all managers deserve more time. May Lambert was about to go ballistic and get a statue.

Maybe not.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:45 - Apr 19 with 1545 viewsSwansea_Blue

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:03 - Apr 19 by Coastalblue

Much as I love what he's doing, and where we're going, I think we do have to apply some context to these things in terms of where we are and what our relative resources are.

Yep, although a bit of context can be provided by Cook can’t it? Kieran took his team in the same league and improved it almost immediately. I’d agree it’s less easy to compare with someone like SBR or Burley both punching above their weight in higher leagues. There’s obviously a narrative behind all of those stats and for McKenna it’s the relative financial support, as you say.

It’s still mighty impressive what he’s done. He’s been a great find. ME wouldn’t have considered him due to his lack of promotion experience, which tells you all you need to know about how limited ME was.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:47 - Apr 19 with 1527 viewsPhilTWTD

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:22 - Apr 19 by BlueForYou

Manager before Sir Alf. Never knew anything about him. Held the post for 18 years, including the war years. Excuse my ignorance. Thanks for pointing that out.

We poached him from Manchester United. Think the story was that he was 'kidnapped' by Ivan Cobbold, who then sent a crate of whisky in recompense. Never played left-back for us!
Login to get fewer ads

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:50 - Apr 19 with 1503 viewsPhilTWTD

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:03 - Apr 19 by Coastalblue

Indeed, it does illustrate a wider point about taking stats of any type purely at face value without any context. I shall now remove my social scientist's trousers.
Poor stats! Emphasises need for patience. Win % over entire tenure better stat. on 23:30 - Apr 19 with 1356 viewsunstableblue

McKenna 54.1%
Ramsey 47.7%
Burley 45.5%
John Duncan 45.3%
Robson 44.6%
Royle 42.9%
Magilton 37.8%
McCarthy 37.6%
Roy Keane 34.6%

But of course McKenna only managed games at third tier… I’m confident though that McKenna will still be right up there, hopefully over a number of seasons in higher tiers

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Crazy stats from McKenna on 23:44 - Apr 19 with 1306 viewsPlums

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:50 - Apr 19 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, it does illustrate a wider point about taking stats of any type purely at face value without any context. I shall now remove my social scientist's trousers.

Wait. You have your own social scientist and have debagged them to prove a point?
What do you do to Mark and Gav when an upgrade is delayed?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Crazy stats from McKenna on 23:53 - Apr 19 with 1262 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:22 - Apr 19 by nodge_blue

When you see the bottom two in that list it makes you wonder if all managers deserve more time. May Lambert was about to go ballistic and get a statue.

Maybe not.

It is important to give a manager time but even more important to appoint well in the first place. Giving the wrong manager more time is generally disastrous. We did it with a few - Jewell stands out. I can't think of many we didn't give long enough to - Magilton possibly - but Lambert (as I am sure your final line confirms) certainly wasn't one of them.

As for the comparison of where we are with the resources we have, I guess it might compare reasonably with Royle. We all know McKenna is doing a good job. We all recognise he has a long way to go to reach the same level as our best managers. Here's hoping he will do in time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Crazy stats from McKenna on 23:58 - Apr 19 with 1253 viewsBugs

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:22 - Apr 19 by nodge_blue

Maybe not.

You don't treat Phil like that and get a statue.
Crazy stats from McKenna on 07:32 - Apr 20 with 874 viewsOldFart71

Whilst it's interesting to see these stats it all has to be put into context. Both Sir Alf and Sir Bobby had much more limited resources. Had Town had the backing that McKenna has when Sir Bobby was manager not only would we have won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup we would have had several league titles. Also believe Town played in Europe 10 seasons running which was a huge achievement. Sir Bobby had to wheel and deal for players, often part exchanging one player for another. Talbot sold to Arsenal for £450,000 and getting in Muhren and Thyssen for less. Kevin Beattie was on his way to Liverpool and due to some sort of mix up, missing a train, or something on those lines (Not railway) was picked up by Sir Bobby. I hope Keiran achieves similar success as Sir Bobby. But believe me he has a long, long way to go.
Crazy stats from McKenna on 08:02 - Apr 20 with 771 viewsJohnTy

Crazy stats from McKenna on 22:47 - Apr 19 by PhilTWTD

We poached him from Manchester United. Think the story was that he was 'kidnapped' by Ivan Cobbold, who then sent a crate of whisky in recompense. Never played left-back for us!

His wife wanted to leave the smoke of pre-war Manchester.

A great servant to the club. Stayed on as secretary after Ramsey's appointment. So spent over 20 years at the club. A record I think.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024