Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking “punts” 18:37 - May 30 with 1748 viewsBlueNomad

I think our recruitment is more scientific than taking punts. Maybe it’s a word we can consign to the past.
Taking “punts” on 19:14 - May 30 with 1654 viewsJ2BLUE

Sadly people feel the need to post every idea that enters their head in the desperate hope that they can link back to the post and look informed.

Completely agree though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Taking “punts” on 19:18 - May 30 with 1625 viewsPlums

Taking “punts” on 19:14 - May 30 by J2BLUE

Sadly people feel the need to post every idea that enters their head in the desperate hope that they can link back to the post and look informed.

Completely agree though.

Me too. It's quite disrespectful to the team running our recruitment. There is so much more than gut feel and 'does he like the training ground' about our place in the transfer market these days.
Also, the 'punt' was GC20 buying the club with the fund's money, they haven't splashed out for us to speculate with it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Taking “punts” on 19:23 - May 30 with 1606 viewsFrimleyBlue

Every transfer is a punt though. No signing is a sure thing.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Taking “punts” on 19:26 - May 30 with 1589 viewsJ2BLUE

Taking “punts” on 19:23 - May 30 by FrimleyBlue

Every transfer is a punt though. No signing is a sure thing.

Oh ffs

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Taking “punts” on 19:37 - May 30 with 1521 viewschicoazul

Ahadme was definitely a punt and Camara probably was too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Taking “punts” on 19:41 - May 30 with 1479 viewsSheffordBlue

Taking “punts” on 19:37 - May 30 by chicoazul

I think the reasoning behind Ahadme was that he was a cheap development option who could take some of the load off Ladapo and John-Jules for the Papa Johns and early FA Cup games. When he got injured early some of that went out of the window.

If it had gone to plan he'd probably have picked up a few goals and might have kicked on in our system.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 19:45]

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Taking “punts” on 19:46 - May 30 with 1456 viewsChurchman

Agree. ‘Taking a punt’ is the sort of thing that McCarthy was forced to do. Gamble on a few free or dirt cheap throw outs, journeymen players in the hope one or two would be decent and he was rather successful at it.

After madman Keane all Evans’ merry men were all forced to do it. Not now. With a recruitment team, a structure, a manager who knows what he wants, we can do what it says on the tin. Recruit! So yes, let’s consign the awful P word to history.

FB - all transfers carry risk. Even the best make mistakes. However, I’d argue that with the above, our chances of finding the right people is better than the scraping around the leavings method.
[Post edited 31 May 2023 6:30]
Taking “punts” on 20:30 - May 30 with 1385 viewswkj

In the words of Derek and Clive... What a punt

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Taking “punts” on 20:48 - May 30 with 1333 viewsBigCommon

Most likely more low risk punts taken at youth level, imo, now that we have a solid backbone to our squad.... We've already signed a few youngsters recently.
Can only see serious money being spent on players that are proven , or that the management sees as definitely improving the squad instantly...Bonus if they improve further..
Perhaps low commitment/low risk punt or two on loan to buy options from higher up the pyramid.
Its really hard to know for sure. Especially with no indication of budget, or this seasons goal. Bound to be the odd gamble along the way though.. "Player trading" being one of Ashton's key phrases at the fans forum.. But you'd have to think that they will be more educated punts, with KM and Co in the building..
Taking “punts” on 22:21 - May 30 with 1224 viewsHorsham

Taking “punts” on 20:48 - May 30 by BigCommon

Most likely more low risk punts taken at youth level, imo, now that we have a solid backbone to our squad.... We've already signed a few youngsters recently.
Can only see serious money being spent on players that are proven , or that the management sees as definitely improving the squad instantly...Bonus if they improve further..
Perhaps low commitment/low risk punt or two on loan to buy options from higher up the pyramid.
Its really hard to know for sure. Especially with no indication of budget, or this seasons goal. Bound to be the odd gamble along the way though.. "Player trading" being one of Ashton's key phrases at the fans forum.. But you'd have to think that they will be more educated punts, with KM and Co in the building..

I’m not sure about the ‘proven’ bit. I think there’s more science and suspect a lot of the recruiting will be based on combining identifying players with a high ceiling that our excellent coaching staff can extract untapped potential from. Someone like Hirst is a good example. People scoff at the size of the potential fee at £3m plus but if he goes rampaging round the championship scoring 15-20 goals you can probably times his value by a factor of 5 in a year.

Ultimately I think the notion of player trading is to repeat profitable transfers and use the funds to continuously upgrade. There will probably be few sales until next summer when hopefully our lads have ripped the championship up and have exponentially increased in value. Or if we get promoted then it’ll hang on for another year or two.

Pretty interesting times.
Taking “punts” on 22:36 - May 30 with 1203 viewscressi

Taking “punts” on 19:37 - May 30 by chicoazul

From what I have seem Adhadme is a useless Punt or something along those lines.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024