Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First 11 >>>> squad 13:47 - Jul 11 with 1907 viewschicoazul

Believe our first 11 is highly competitive in this division less a striker but our squad looks quite weak. Injuries could mean Jackson Harness and Janoi playing against Leicester Leeds and Watford for instance. Not only do we have obvious problems up front with the first 11 but we need some reserves who are more than solid good blokes, we need people who will really push for a starting spot and in many cases play 35+ games this season as finishers, score 7 or so goals, defend narrow leads etc.
Lots left to do in the market.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

First 11 >>>> squad on 13:50 - Jul 11 with 1653 viewsJ2BLUE

The three massive signings you said we will make will help...

Something gone wrong with the Knight deal?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

First 11 >>>> squad on 13:58 - Jul 11 with 1593 viewsitfcsuth

You said I'd be shocked with the amount of business we were going to do when I said we wouldn't be highly active back at the start of the window.

You said we'd be shocked at the calibre of player, we were apparently going to break out club record, Jason Knight was on route, we've had all sorts.

So yes, in your fantasy land, there is a lot of work to do, in reality - there is only a little bit to do.
First 11 >>>> squad on 14:00 - Jul 11 with 1589 viewschicoazul

First 11 >>>> squad on 13:50 - Jul 11 by J2BLUE

The three massive signings you said we will make will help...

Something gone wrong with the Knight deal?

Occasional reminder you are free to believe what you like? Surprising anyone even needs to tell you that TBF.
Why do you think of the squad as it stands?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:01 - Jul 11 with 1572 viewschicoazul

First 11 >>>> squad on 13:58 - Jul 11 by itfcsuth

You said I'd be shocked with the amount of business we were going to do when I said we wouldn't be highly active back at the start of the window.

You said we'd be shocked at the calibre of player, we were apparently going to break out club record, Jason Knight was on route, we've had all sorts.

So yes, in your fantasy land, there is a lot of work to do, in reality - there is only a little bit to do.

You think the club are satisfied with going into the season with this squad?

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:02 - Jul 11 with 1560 viewsArnieM

Weak in central defence and weak in central striker position , eg lacking in championship experience

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:04 - Jul 11 with 1550 viewsVaughan8

Just out of interest, how many more players do you think we will have?

A Striker
A centre back?

Maybe we want to offload players before getting other is. I just have a feeling we aren't that unhappy to have those players mentioned as subs/reserves.
First 11 >>>> squad on 14:05 - Jul 11 with 1549 viewsitfcsuth

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:01 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

You think the club are satisfied with going into the season with this squad?

No, not yet. Won't be any club record fees or 3 mega signings coming in though.

This group of players is very good, right now the priority must be the ST, but beyond that we really have a strong group full of confidence, ability, balance and momentum.
First 11 >>>> squad on 14:26 - Jul 11 with 1477 viewsJakeITFC

I think you're right, and I still expect us to be busy with ins and outs up until the deadline, however I think we'll be replacing first teamers so your Jackson, Harness and Janoi maybe becomes Burns, Burgess and Ladapo in reserve.

Ultimately I think it is just a lot harder market to operate in here - lots of big hitters, not so much of a financial advantage and also that age old problem of the Prem clubs wanting to keep their backups for as long as possible during the summer. I've no doubt that we'll splash some significant cash once the opportunity arises, but may well be later on during this window.
Login to get fewer ads

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:31 - Jul 11 with 1451 viewsStokieBlue

Not sure JD should be classed with the others, not really concerned about him not being able to come in and do a job.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:34 - Jul 11 with 1434 viewsFrimleyBlue

Need

2 new strikers
1 RW
1 CB

Hirst, Bishop.
Winger from Palace
Cashin

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:34 - Jul 11 with 1438 viewsJ2BLUE

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:00 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

Occasional reminder you are free to believe what you like? Surprising anyone even needs to tell you that TBF.
Why do you think of the squad as it stands?

haha, poor attempt at deflection.

I think we could use a CB and 2 strikers. I would be happy to upgrade the likes of Harness if we can.

I have no issues with Donacien, I think he's underrated.

Truly impaired.

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:48 - Jul 11 with 1372 viewsBlueandTruesince82

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:34 - Jul 11 by J2BLUE

I think we could use a CB and 2 strikers. I would be happy to upgrade the likes of Harness if we can.

Same. 2 strikers and a CB. A RWB to compete with Burns would be the icing but we know Janoi can cover that role, maybe Edwards at a push

Players will come in yet plus I can a see a couple of loans too.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:53 - Jul 11 with 1343 viewsBigCommon

Im not seeing your "obvious" problems, tbf..
Best defence in the division and top goal scorers last season. Especially the last third of the season, we had a solid MF. The team performances continually improved. Quite often in those last 10-12 games last season, I thought that this group of players would easily hold their own in The Championship...
We are light in numbers in the striker position. Which I'm sure we'll address. Other than that, I'm not sure we are "desperate" in any other area..
Got to be careful not to chuck the baby out with the bathwater, with too many changes, imo.
First 11 >>>> squad on 14:55 - Jul 11 with 1341 viewsjayessess

I think you'd be surprised at how many clubs in this division actually do flesh out their squads with "solid good blokes" exactly like Jackson, Harness and Janoi.

Coventry had players like Fankaty Dabo, Matt Godden and Tyler Walker make 20 or so appearances last season. Sunderland similarly with Bailey Wright, Lynden Gooch, Luke O'Nien.

Reality is that you have to concentrate a lot of your budget on the best players and you don't want to waste too much time and money on rotating squad players in and out. You can't cover for literally every eventuality and you have to rely on limited players doing a job sometimes.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:01 - Jul 11 with 1307 viewschicoazul

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:34 - Jul 11 by J2BLUE

Poor attempt at deflection he says as he goes on to be deflected.

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:05 - Jul 11 with 1292 viewschicoazul

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:31 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

Not sure JD should be classed with the others, not really concerned about him not being able to come in and do a job.

SB

He’s 30 and only played in the championship for one season for 10 games when we got relegated. I love him too but can we count on him to play away at Leeds?

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:06 - Jul 11 with 1280 viewschicoazul

First 11 >>>> squad on 14:55 - Jul 11 by jayessess

I think you'd be surprised at how many clubs in this division actually do flesh out their squads with "solid good blokes" exactly like Jackson, Harness and Janoi.

Coventry had players like Fankaty Dabo, Matt Godden and Tyler Walker make 20 or so appearances last season. Sunderland similarly with Bailey Wright, Lynden Gooch, Luke O'Nien.

Reality is that you have to concentrate a lot of your budget on the best players and you don't want to waste too much time and money on rotating squad players in and out. You can't cover for literally every eventuality and you have to rely on limited players doing a job sometimes.

All true but I am concerned the 3 of theirs you mention are much better than the 3 of ours you mention.

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:08 - Jul 11 with 1263 viewsitfcsuth

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:06 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

All true but I am concerned the 3 of theirs you mention are much better than the 3 of ours you mention.

They definitely aren't.
First 11 >>>> squad on 15:12 - Jul 11 with 1243 viewschicoazul

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:08 - Jul 11 by itfcsuth

They definitely aren't.

Bailey Wright played in the championship for 9 years. Janoi, bless him, hasnt.

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:16 - Jul 11 with 1187 viewsjayessess

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:05 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

He’s 30 and only played in the championship for one season for 10 games when we got relegated. I love him too but can we count on him to play away at Leeds?

We'd be defending a lot at Elland Road, so I'd be happy with Donacien at Right Back for that one (possibly happier than having Clarke there even). You'd worry about him more in a home game with Rotherham, where we'd want to attack the opposition and his main weakness is more in play.

But that isn't really the main question with these players. It's whether we could easily and economically source replacements for multiple squad players and have most of them be a significant step up in ability, fit well into the squad/playing roles, have the right attitude, all whilst not damaging the wider morale of the squad. Whether that's a good use of time and resources when it's tough to find quality for actual gaps in the first eleven.

99.9% certainty that Janoi will be our reserve right back this season btw, so get used to that one.

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:25 - Jul 11 with 1156 viewsJ2BLUE

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:01 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

Poor attempt at deflection he says as he goes on to be deflected.

Yes because I don't want to go backwards and forwards for the next 3 hours. We both know you will invent some story as to why it didn't come off. Sometimes it's easier to just let people have it and keep their delusions.

Truly impaired.

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:25 - Jul 11 with 1156 viewsStokieBlue

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:05 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

He's a better and far more experienced player than when he last played in the Championship and 30 is hardly retirement time. He's also a good one-on-one defender which might actually be important against a team like Leeds who are more likely to have some individual flair players.

So yes, I'm fine with him playing away at Leeds.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jul 2023 15:33]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:36 - Jul 11 with 1094 viewsJ2BLUE

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:25 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

He's a better and far more experienced player than when he last played in the Championship and 30 is hardly retirement time. He's also a good one-on-one defender which might actually be important against a team like Leeds who are more likely to have some individual flair players.

So yes, I'm fine with him playing away at Leeds.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jul 2023 15:33]

He's also surrounded by better players and has an infinitely better manager.

Truly impaired.

First 11 >>>> squad on 16:09 - Jul 11 with 1023 viewsjayessess

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:06 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

O'Nien and Gooch were both actually pretty regular starters for Sunderland (don't think they'd be anywhere near our first team), Wright's the only one who was a squad player (until they packed him out on loan).

Most of Sunderland's squad players were kids really, 7 of their second XI in terms of minutes played were 21 or younger.

Coventry have a tonne of players they've kept from their time in League One whose history prior to joining the club was no more illustrious than Donacien, Jackson or Harness.

First 11 >>>> squad on 16:31 - Jul 11 with 984 viewsitfcsuth

First 11 >>>> squad on 15:12 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

Bailey Wright played in the championship for 9 years. Janoi, bless him, hasnt.

A very simplistic uneducated comment.

Picking my squad for next season, I'm picking JD over him every single day of the week. JD has been class under KMc, absolute top class.

The disrespect on his name is shameful.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024