Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unaccompanied children 13:46 - Jul 30 with 1723 viewsDJR

I noticed from the ticket information for the Stoke game that under 13s must be accompanied by an adult.

A bit different from my days, back in the late 60s, when a group of us 9 year olds used to get the bus into Ipswich from Broke Hall estate and go to games unaccompanied. And this at a time when football hooliganism inside and outside grounds was an issue. Admittedly, we stood in the Churchmans', but I suppose in those days parents and the authorities were less worried about what might happen to children.

And I can remember as a 13 year old going to the Texaco Cup final in Norwich with my mates and running on to the pitch at the end to celebrate.

Incidentally, from what I can recall we used to get to Portman Road as early as we could, which from memory was either 1pm or 1.30pm. It was all part of the match day build-up and excitement.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 13:57]
Unaccompanied children on 13:58 - Jul 30 with 1633 viewsHerbivore

Looks like Town care more about the welfare of unaccompanied children than our government does!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Unaccompanied children on 14:48 - Jul 30 with 1538 viewsDJR

Unaccompanied children on 13:58 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

Looks like Town care more about the welfare of unaccompanied children than our government does!

Good point!
Unaccompanied children on 14:49 - Jul 30 with 1530 viewsBigCommon

Pretty sure, back in those days, anyone caught harassing 9 year olds would have been " dealt with".. Regardless of what colors they wore.
And if the 9 year olds mis behaved, they'd have got a clip round the ear from an adult or a copper..
I do think these days, authority figures such as policemen, teachers, and general adults, have got there hands tied these days, in terms of keeping kids in check.
Different times, I guess. Probably why accompanied supervision is preferred.
Unaccompanied children on 14:58 - Jul 30 with 1499 viewsHerbivore

Unaccompanied children on 14:49 - Jul 30 by BigCommon

Pretty sure, back in those days, anyone caught harassing 9 year olds would have been " dealt with".. Regardless of what colors they wore.
And if the 9 year olds mis behaved, they'd have got a clip round the ear from an adult or a copper..
I do think these days, authority figures such as policemen, teachers, and general adults, have got there hands tied these days, in terms of keeping kids in check.
Different times, I guess. Probably why accompanied supervision is preferred.

Yeah, I miss the good old days when it was okay to hit a child.

Unaccompanied children on 15:07 - Jul 30 with 1491 viewsmonty_radio

Unaccompanied children on 14:58 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

True though that is, something which was valuable in the freedom that older folk grew up with in past times has been lost in the name of caution. Many who recall such freedom may have been slightly horrified to learn that, as for the first 4 years of my Town-supporting days alongside mates, none of us would now be allowed to experience such a thing..

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Unaccompanied children on 15:11 - Jul 30 with 1474 viewsBigCommon

Unaccompanied children on 14:58 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

I truly miss the times when people had the intelligence to differenciate, between a clip around the ear, and " hitting children"...
World's full of wet wipes these days.
Unaccompanied children on 15:14 - Jul 30 with 1466 viewsHerbivore

Unaccompanied children on 15:11 - Jul 30 by BigCommon

I truly miss the times when people had the intelligence to differenciate, between a clip around the ear, and " hitting children"...

I miss the days when people had the intelligence to spell differentiate correctly whilst trying to insult other people's intelligence. Think anyone who misses the ability to hit a child without consequences is probably the real wet wipe here.

Unaccompanied children on 15:35 - Jul 30 with 1368 viewsDJR

Unaccompanied children on 15:07 - Jul 30 by monty_radio

True though that is, something which was valuable in the freedom that older folk grew up with in past times has been lost in the name of caution. Many who recall such freedom may have been slightly horrified to learn that, as for the first 4 years of my Town-supporting days alongside mates, none of us would now be allowed to experience such a thing..

Absolutely. I lived on Broke Hall Estate and went to Clifford Road Primary School because Britannia Road School was full up. We got a coach there and back because of the distance but on days when I played football for the school, a group of us would walk back along Foxhall Road the two miles to our homes. This was much more fun than the coach which we were too late for.

These days, at least where I live, virtually every primary school child is dropped off and picked up by a parent or guardian, whether by car or on foot.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 16:37]
Login to get fewer ads

Unaccompanied children on 16:00 - Jul 30 with 1268 viewsAlberto_the_frog

I used to go in away section in the North as there was more space there. Only got in a scrap once - FA cup game with Wolves and stupid copper wouldn't let me out into East Stand as orders are orders. Did look quite a bit older than my 14 years, though.
Unaccompanied children on 17:13 - Jul 30 with 1140 viewsBlueBadger

Unaccompanied children on 15:11 - Jul 30 by BigCommon

What IS the difference between a 'clip round the ear' and hitting someone?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Unaccompanied children on 17:24 - Jul 30 with 1089 viewsJ2BLUE

Unaccompanied children on 17:13 - Jul 30 by BlueBadger

Don't tell him, show him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Unaccompanied children on 17:31 - Jul 30 with 1073 viewsmonty_radio

The first was legal; the second, not.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Unaccompanied children on 17:45 - Jul 30 with 1042 viewsDJR

Unaccompanied children on 17:31 - Jul 30 by monty_radio

The first was legal; the second, not.

I know the term "clip round the ear" is well-used, and my interpretation of the expression is that it was often the sort of thing that a policeman or stranger did in the street, but does anyone ever remember receiving one?

I was born in the late 50s but never received one, nor can I remember anyone seeing anyone else receiving one. I do remember, however, the slipper in my primary school.

Maybe it was the sort of thing that went on before my time.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 17:46]
Unaccompanied children on 17:57 - Jul 30 with 1005 viewsBigCommon

Context, intent, level of force used, physical damage caused.

Clip round the ear won't brake an eye socket, nose or jaw bone.
Actually hitting someone, especially a child, could kill them.
That much should be obvious.

Don't really want to hijack the OP..
My original point was, that it's difficult to keep youngsters in check these days, compared to my day.My friend, who is a female secondary school teacher, tells this me all the time. When she has to deal with unruly adolescents.
Hence why some clubs would prefer them accompanied by some adult, supervision.
Unaccompanied children on 18:01 - Jul 30 with 992 viewsDJR

Unaccompanied children on 17:57 - Jul 30 by BigCommon

Context, intent, level of force used, physical damage caused.

Clip round the ear won't brake an eye socket, nose or jaw bone.
Actually hitting someone, especially a child, could kill them.
That much should be obvious.

Don't really want to hijack the OP..
My original point was, that it's difficult to keep youngsters in check these days, compared to my day.My friend, who is a female secondary school teacher, tells this me all the time. When she has to deal with unruly adolescents.
Hence why some clubs would prefer them accompanied by some adult, supervision.

I don't mind if you hijack it!
Unaccompanied children on 19:22 - Jul 30 with 911 viewsMeadowlark

I thought that too!
We used to catch the train from Lowestoft as 12/13 year olds. Get to Ipswich, buy a bag of chips and get in the ground when it opened.
Front of the North Stand.
Youngsters today huh?
Unaccompanied children on 19:28 - Jul 30 with 886 viewsGlasgowBlue

Back when I was seven or eight, my old man would stand at the back and pass me down with an old milk crate to stand on. Everyone in the crowd would pass me down to the front.

I’d then see the old man at the end of the game. TWTD.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024