Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK Border Control 11:21 - Aug 18 with 2430 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bloody useless. If Sunak wants to talk about productivity, he can start there. Glaciers move quicker than some of the jobsworths they’ve got in the booths.

That’s all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

UK Border Control on 11:27 - Aug 18 with 2142 viewsStokieBlue

Rubbish although not as bad as Lisbon.

A few years back arrived around lunchtime and they had about 15 booths open, they all look at each other and leg it for lunch leaving 1 booth open and about 2000 people waiting to get through.

At least at the UK border kids over 10 can now use the eGates which is a small step forward.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

UK Border Control on 11:28 - Aug 18 with 2138 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Flew back from Italy earlier this month.

Still now finding it hilarious that for all the “taking back control” ballacks, we’re still queuing with our blue passports in the same line as magenta EU passport holders.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

UK Border Control on 11:31 - Aug 18 with 2122 viewsthe_toff

Thought Dover was relatively well organised recently when I passed through. There was a bit of a wait (50 minutes) but that was more due to the level of demand and amount of vehicles trying to board than anything. Not sure what border control could do about it as that element of things was brisk when I got to the checkpoint. Other than opening more booths of course, but the ones they had all seemed to be manned.
UK Border Control on 11:33 - Aug 18 with 2106 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK Border Control on 11:27 - Aug 18 by StokieBlue

Rubbish although not as bad as Lisbon.

A few years back arrived around lunchtime and they had about 15 booths open, they all look at each other and leg it for lunch leaving 1 booth open and about 2000 people waiting to get through.

At least at the UK border kids over 10 can now use the eGates which is a small step forward.

SB

Luckily, that one booth wouldn’t have had the guy we had coming back through Eurotunnel yesterday. It took him 50 minutes to do 5 cars. Although the thought of them not giving a crap and all going off to lunch is pretty amusing (probably not for you lot though).

UK Border Control on 11:40 - Aug 18 with 2082 viewsChurchman

If you want chaos, try Mexico. It was so bad it was funny.

Border control at Gatwick the last couple of times I’ve been through it has been fine. Really quick.

As for Border Force at the ports, they suffered huge austerity cuts. Then due to Brexit the numbers had to be rapidly increased and what was required of them of course changed.

Not sure what the numbers are now, but they are not paid much for what they do or the hours they have to work. Perhaps if they weren’t treated like dirt by this government and sometimes the great British public - and paid properly, they might be more motivated.
UK Border Control on 11:42 - Aug 18 with 2080 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK Border Control on 11:40 - Aug 18 by Churchman

Border control at Gatwick the last couple of times I’ve been through it has been fine. Really quick.

As for Border Force at the ports, they suffered huge austerity cuts. Then due to Brexit the numbers had to be rapidly increased and what was required of them of course changed.

Not sure what the numbers are now, but they are not paid much for what they do or the hours they have to work. Perhaps if they weren’t treated like dirt by this government and sometimes the great British public - and paid properly, they might be more motivated.

I work with a guy who used to be border force at the ports. He’s well worth spending a couple of hours in the pub, with some great stories.

UK Border Control on 12:00 - Aug 18 with 2010 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK Border Control on 11:40 - Aug 18 by Churchman

Coming back to places, I’ve not done Mexico. Most places have been pretty organised for a while now. It used to be much more fun ‘back in the old days’. 9/11 was a bit of a game changer too. Nepal was always good value for complete chaos before they opened new facilities in the mid- to late-90s.

UK Border Control on 13:04 - Aug 18 with 1960 viewshype313

Stansted is an absolute joke, ever since they got taken over by MAG it has been shambolic.

If I were a visitor to the UK, I'd be asking to get back on the plane and saying forget it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

UK Border Control on 13:05 - Aug 18 with 1953 viewsPowrigan

Just sack the lot, we are happy to let illegals in by sea, so why not just let them in via all methods.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 13:06]
UK Border Control on 13:13 - Aug 18 with 1920 viewsCheltenham_Blue

UK Border Control on 13:05 - Aug 18 by Powrigan

Just sack the lot, we are happy to let illegals in by sea, so why not just let them in via all methods.

The Daily Mail have called, they want their headline back.

UK Border Control on 13:13 - Aug 18 with 1916 viewsPowrigan

UK Border Control on 13:13 - Aug 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

The Daily Mail have called, they want their headline back.

Was just trying to be inclusive
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 13:14]
UK Border Control on 13:35 - Aug 18 with 1859 viewsChurchman

UK Border Control on 11:42 - Aug 18 by Swansea_Blue

I work with a guy who used to be border force at the ports. He’s well worth spending a couple of hours in the pub, with some great stories.

I’ll bet. I worked with some customs guys a few years ago who’d worked on the rummage crews and they had some pretty wild stories too.
The only way to deal with Stansted now.... on 13:49 - Aug 18 with 1845 viewsBloots

UK Border Control on 13:04 - Aug 18 by hype313

Stansted is an absolute joke, ever since they got taken over by MAG it has been shambolic.

If I were a visitor to the UK, I'd be asking to get back on the plane and saying forget it.

....is to pay the £7, or whatever it is, to use the passport fast track lane and then just walk straight to the "in person" passport check.

The automatic barriers are a total waste of time.

As you say, a total shambles.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and tremendously exquisite.

UK Border Control on 14:37 - Aug 18 with 1792 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

UK Border Control on 13:04 - Aug 18 by hype313

Another clown comment from someone who probably goes abroad once a year on Ryanair. You should try border control in many places around the world (even in the west) then you will have a right to moan. Toronto just off the top off my head is terrible, even closer to you AMS god awful.

Stansted is a regional airport full of low cost carriers, what are you expecting, global entry and arrival lounges.

For all the stick the UK gets its main arrival hub LHR has one of the most friendly clearance systems to foreign visitors, even letting many non EU citizens from visa free countries use E gates. A lot of my co-workers always comment on the fact they are surprised as a non citizen they don’t even need to talk to a real human and are always through in under 20 minutes.
UK Border Control on 14:37 - Aug 18 with 1792 viewsbluelagos

Be clear a large part of border delays are a direct result of Brexit. My partner holds a European passport and previously was waved through.

Now she gets interrogated about the purpose of her visit and is expected to demonstrate she has permanent residency even though it is all electronic and she has no physical paperwork and/or visa.

She was detained last time she came in whilst trying to prove her 16 year old daughter, born in Kent about 10 miles from the border point had the right to visit the UK.

The bit that's really stupid is if she had said she was visiting as a tourist she'd have been waved through, but as a resident she is given the third degree.

Last time I used Calais / Dover the queue was over 90 mins and the people I spoke to in the queue (after the checks) were returning Eastern Europeans (from their annual holiday) all going the exact same process.

Controlling our own borders...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

UK Border Control on 14:43 - Aug 18 with 1773 viewsChurchman

UK Border Control on 14:37 - Aug 18 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Another clown comment from someone who probably goes abroad once a year on Ryanair. You should try border control in many places around the world (even in the west) then you will have a right to moan. Toronto just off the top off my head is terrible, even closer to you AMS god awful.

Stansted is a regional airport full of low cost carriers, what are you expecting, global entry and arrival lounges.

For all the stick the UK gets its main arrival hub LHR has one of the most friendly clearance systems to foreign visitors, even letting many non EU citizens from visa free countries use E gates. A lot of my co-workers always comment on the fact they are surprised as a non citizen they don’t even need to talk to a real human and are always through in under 20 minutes.

Thinking of Canada one of the worst I experienced was 3 hours getting through passport control on arrival in Vancouver. It was bedlam.
UK Border Control on 14:55 - Aug 18 with 1741 viewsLeaky

Sack UK border force & employ a doctor's receptionist in there place, no one would get in.
UK Border Control on 14:57 - Aug 18 with 1736 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

UK Border Control on 14:43 - Aug 18 by Churchman

Thinking of Canada one of the worst I experienced was 3 hours getting through passport control on arrival in Vancouver. It was bedlam.

Awful.
UK Border Control on 15:05 - Aug 18 with 1710 viewsGlasgowBlue

The best our airports have functioned was when Border Control workers were in strike and they brought in the navy. We sailed through.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

UK Border Control on 15:38 - Aug 18 with 1675 viewsLesta_Tractor

Just boarded a ferry in Calais, DFDS check in and a full car check by French customs took about a third of the UK border control passport check

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

UK Border Control on 16:09 - Aug 18 with 1633 viewsfactual_blue

Is it because you look a bit Albanian?

A trillion of them have arrived in small boats in the last twenty minutes you know.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

UK Border Control on 16:17 - Aug 18 with 1613 viewsHARRY10

UK Border Control on 13:05 - Aug 18 by Powrigan

Do remind who were the thickos who thought it a good idea to leave the Dublin Accord.

And so much for 'taking back control' post Brexit import checks are still not in place. They have now been pushed back for the 5th time. Though the irony that costly checks on exports are in place is not lost on the normal folk. The suspicion is that it is not worth building infrastructure that will not be needed in a few years hence.

What is coming though are biometric checks* on all third countries (UK) which is expected to add considerable delay.

[b[Brits travelling to Europe will have to share health information and have their faces and fingerprints scanned from next summer, 2024

" holidaymakers will be expected to reveal health conditions and details of their trips before being granted entry permits."

" sharing information about criminal records, the purpose of travel and the location of your first night's stay."

Brexiters can be grateful there are no plans to include the results of an IQ test. Though the requirement to reveal health conditions, may be accompanied by the requirement for necessary insurance cover. Which would considerably impact on elderly brexiters.

Not only is Brexit turning the UK into an inward looking, isolated country, but EU regulation for non EU travellers and goods are set to increase that isolation.

* I suspect this is little known among brexiters
UK Border Control on 22:53 - Aug 18 with 1492 viewsCheltenham_Blue

UK Border Control on 14:43 - Aug 18 by Churchman

Conversely, when I was in Vancouver in May, getting through passport control took me about 2 minutes. Easiest ever. Anywhere.

UK Border Control on 08:28 - Aug 19 with 1377 viewsChurchman

UK Border Control on 22:53 - Aug 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Conversely, when I was in Vancouver in May, getting through passport control took me about 2 minutes. Easiest ever. Anywhere.

To be fair to Vancouver, the next time I went through it was a lot faster than three hours. Had mixed experiences with America, but I think that holds with most places, including the U.K..

When I last went through Denver, they had this system of going to a machine after the inevitable queue, slapping your passport down and putting in some details (to match up with ESTA?). Out spat a sort of ticket. My buddy did his and it came out with a cross on it. It didn’t matter, we still both endured the same usual queue to see the bored looking homeland security dude to be asked the usual dopey questions, finger prints, photo etc. They’d managed with the machine to introduce additional admin for no purpose whatsoever. Oh well.

Back to the U.K. with Brexit the government had no idea whatsoever how the borders operated either for people, stuff or both. No surprise there. They thought it was just a mug in a uniform bomping a bit of paper on poverty wages with a rubber stamp. Not so.
UK Border Control on 08:49 - Aug 19 with 1361 viewsnoggin

Traveled from Norway to Croatia recently and didn't show our passports once, on either leg of the journey. Don't know why I bothered getting my Irish passport.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024