Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually 10:21 - Sep 13 with 1274 viewsLion

a bit embarrassing that we haven't won anything since 1966, where we also had the advantage that it was on our home turf to be fair. I know we have no divine right to win it but for a country who have arguably the best league in the world and are arguably the founders of football its about time. France have had international success, so have Italy, so have Spain. I don't think this generation of English footballers have the mental hang ups of the previous squads whilst I also concede we perhaps do not have the game management of the italians or the composure of the germans. But look at our attacking players, Kane is the experienced talisman, Bellingham, Rashford, Saka, Sterling, Grealish, Foden, the athleticism of Rice, the speed ( still, at 35 he's an incredible athlete ) and nous of Kyle Walker. Maybe arguably there is a first 11 as good as us at the Euros but is there a squad with the depth of quality we have?
Venables got close in euro 96 ( also on our own turf ) Bobby in 86 and 90 was close, Southgate is getting closer, every team needs a bit of luck but its time we actually won something isn't it?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 10:34]

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 10:25 - Sep 13 with 1254 viewshomer_123

Jude Bellingham by homer_123 12 Sep 2023 21:33
We've been there before.....we won't have a better chance than in 2018 IMHO.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 10:28 - Sep 13 with 1230 views_clive_baker_

The Germans didn't look too composed when we were knocking them out of Euro 2020 to be fair. I agree though, it would be great to win something with this group and they're certainly capable, we've got the quality. The issue is there's other countries with the quality too, and only 1 opportunity every 2 years to lift a trophy. The last Euros basically came down to a coin toss between ourselves and Italy. We win and we've turned a corner and this generation have come of age and Sir Gareth Southgate for delivering silverware. We don't and it's mental hang-ups, bottle jobs and Southgate out. Very fine lines where the result tends to dictate some of the narrative a little too much.
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:22 - Sep 13 with 1141 viewsHighgateBlue

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 10:28 - Sep 13 by _clive_baker_

The Germans didn't look too composed when we were knocking them out of Euro 2020 to be fair. I agree though, it would be great to win something with this group and they're certainly capable, we've got the quality. The issue is there's other countries with the quality too, and only 1 opportunity every 2 years to lift a trophy. The last Euros basically came down to a coin toss between ourselves and Italy. We win and we've turned a corner and this generation have come of age and Sir Gareth Southgate for delivering silverware. We don't and it's mental hang-ups, bottle jobs and Southgate out. Very fine lines where the result tends to dictate some of the narrative a little too much.

This generation is exciting. They are young, and they are improving.

However, you do need everything to drop just right in knockout football in particular. I do think Southgate has done a very good job. Our results in qualifying have been emphatic, he's conducted himself brilliantly in terms of public relations (and no, not just the waistcoat), and we've had a consistency in terms of getting into the last three rounds of tournaments.

However, I would just slightly question the value of our tournament form over the last couple of tournaments. Put it this way, how many teams of real note have we beaten?

In 2018 we beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden, and scraped through against Colombia on penalties. These are all teams that we should be beating. Our other games? A loss against Croatia after extra time and TWO losses against Belgium. Those results are not inspiring, and the draw really opened up for us. It will not always. We beat no decent team. In order to win the thing, France had to beat Argentina, Belgium and Croatia.

2020 was better, and we came so very close. We beat Croatia (an ageing Croatia, but a win's a win), and the Czechs. We drew with Scotland. We then beat Germany in a knockout match, which in terms of substance and psychology a real turning point. We then beat Ukraine, and Denmark after extra time, before losing to the Italians on penalties. In terms of top tier opposition, you could argue that we succeeded against 2 and failed against 1, if you're still counting Croatia as top tier by 2020. We didn't have a tough draw. In order to win the thing, Italy had to beat Belgium, Spain and England in knockout matches.

In 2022 we beat Iran, Wales and Senegal. On paper these were matches we clearly should have been winning. We drew against USA and were knocked out the very first time we came up against proper opposition in France. In order to win the thing, Argentina had to beat Netherlands, Croatia and France.

There will always be some surprises - some teams underachieving. But I can't see the draw consistently being as kind to us as in 2018 (and 2020 to some extent), and when you look over the last three tournaments, we lose more often against top teams than we win. Can we really beat three decent teams in order to win a trophy? I hope so, but it's really really hard!
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:54 - Sep 13 with 1106 viewsvilanovablue

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:22 - Sep 13 by HighgateBlue

However, you do need everything to drop just right in knockout football in particular. I do think Southgate has done a very good job. Our results in qualifying have been emphatic, he's conducted himself brilliantly in terms of public relations (and no, not just the waistcoat), and we've had a consistency in terms of getting into the last three rounds of tournaments.

However, I would just slightly question the value of our tournament form over the last couple of tournaments. Put it this way, how many teams of real note have we beaten?

In 2018 we beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden, and scraped through against Colombia on penalties. These are all teams that we should be beating. Our other games? A loss against Croatia after extra time and TWO losses against Belgium. Those results are not inspiring, and the draw really opened up for us. It will not always. We beat no decent team. In order to win the thing, France had to beat Argentina, Belgium and Croatia.

2020 was better, and we came so very close. We beat Croatia (an ageing Croatia, but a win's a win), and the Czechs. We drew with Scotland. We then beat Germany in a knockout match, which in terms of substance and psychology a real turning point. We then beat Ukraine, and Denmark after extra time, before losing to the Italians on penalties. In terms of top tier opposition, you could argue that we succeeded against 2 and failed against 1, if you're still counting Croatia as top tier by 2020. We didn't have a tough draw. In order to win the thing, Italy had to beat Belgium, Spain and England in knockout matches.

In 2022 we beat Iran, Wales and Senegal. On paper these were matches we clearly should have been winning. We drew against USA and were knocked out the very first time we came up against proper opposition in France. In order to win the thing, Argentina had to beat Netherlands, Croatia and France.

There will always be some surprises - some teams underachieving. But I can't see the draw consistently being as kind to us as in 2018 (and 2020 to some extent), and when you look over the last three tournaments, we lose more often against top teams than we win. Can we really beat three decent teams in order to win a trophy? I hope so, but it's really really hard!

I think the issue with tournament football is that we are talking about extremely fine margins and tournaments are a very tough environment. Can we win the Euros, yes we can we have an excellent squad with decent depth. Will we well that is a very different question. Going back to the last WC would things have been different if Kane converts the penalty, quite possibly. The comments on the draw are fair but you can only beat who is in front of you. On any given day I believe that England can beat anyone. Worth adding we've already beaten Italy away in these qualifiers.
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:55 - Sep 13 with 1101 views_clive_baker_

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:22 - Sep 13 by HighgateBlue

I would agree with that entirely. We've shown excellent consistency to qualify for these tournaments, but generally just fallen short when we're met with other top opposition. I do think we're improving over that period though, especially with Bellingham, Foden, Rice and Saka coming of age, and with Kane, Walker and Stones still at an excellent level. It feels like an era now where it's as close to a sweet spot as we'll see with this batch, with the younger ones being ready, and the experienced players of quality still being at the level they are. I question where our next world class central forward is coming from after Kane, but that's not an issue right now as long as he's fit.

But your point is spot on, it is hard, and like every other nation we only have 2 attempts at silverware between now and the 2028 Euros.
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:58 - Sep 13 with 1099 viewsLion

Great post! So, you're right about the quality of teams we have played against, makes me think that it IS a phycological thing, we have to be beating the best teams when it really matters, Holland, Germany, France and Italy, we so often get so close but so far don't we...
BUT, if we can win something with this group at the age a lot of the squad are at, sooner rather than later, we could maybe emulate Spain and France who i think won the euros then went on to also win the world cup with the same squad. We have been waiting to ' fulfil our potential ' with so many squads for so long haven't we...

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 12:58 - Sep 13 with 986 viewsFtnfwest

We have the players, just need to play the right ones in the right positions. Maddison for example ids a great player but trying to squeeze him and foden somewhere they don’t normally play doesn’t work. You can’t play everyone from the start and the subs coming on will have a big impact going forward as well. For me the defence though still isn’t good enough. Great going forward but not at defending, however has to be a chance next summer.
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 13:39 - Sep 13 with 924 viewsitfcjoe

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 11:55 - Sep 13 by _clive_baker_

I would agree with that entirely. We've shown excellent consistency to qualify for these tournaments, but generally just fallen short when we're met with other top opposition. I do think we're improving over that period though, especially with Bellingham, Foden, Rice and Saka coming of age, and with Kane, Walker and Stones still at an excellent level. It feels like an era now where it's as close to a sweet spot as we'll see with this batch, with the younger ones being ready, and the experienced players of quality still being at the level they are. I question where our next world class central forward is coming from after Kane, but that's not an issue right now as long as he's fit.

But your point is spot on, it is hard, and like every other nation we only have 2 attempts at silverware between now and the 2028 Euros.

And it's so much about getting a bit of luck here and there - if Rashford's penalty goes the other side of post v Italy then we prob win the shootout

In that last 6 years Italy have failed to qualify for 2 WCs but won the Euros, we have gone WC Semi, Euro Final, WC Quarter......we've undoubtedly been better than them over this period by a long way - but they have the major honour and we don't

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 13:45 - Sep 13 with 915 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I don't know if it is some sort of Mandela effect, or my sheer belief but I sometimes believe we won Italia 90 and Euro 96 and have to remind myself we did not, if there were any two since 1966 we were going to win, for me, it was those two.

Obviously I know we got to the Euros final since, but I didn't have the same level of religious fervour about that England team as I did about the ones in 90, 96 and even 98. Maybe because that was my era, I do not know.

Anyone else feel that way?
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 14:10 - Sep 13 with 890 views_clive_baker_

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 13:39 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

And it's so much about getting a bit of luck here and there - if Rashford's penalty goes the other side of post v Italy then we prob win the shootout

In that last 6 years Italy have failed to qualify for 2 WCs but won the Euros, we have gone WC Semi, Euro Final, WC Quarter......we've undoubtedly been better than them over this period by a long way - but they have the major honour and we don't

Yeah, and look at Germany too. Won the world cup in 2014, since then they went out in the group stage in Russia and then again at the group stage in Qatar. Euro 2020 knocked out in the last 16 by us. Hosting 2024 by which time it'll be 8 years since they did anything of note (Euro 2016 semi losers).
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 15:29 - Sep 13 with 833 viewsLion

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 13:45 - Sep 13 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I don't know if it is some sort of Mandela effect, or my sheer belief but I sometimes believe we won Italia 90 and Euro 96 and have to remind myself we did not, if there were any two since 1966 we were going to win, for me, it was those two.

Obviously I know we got to the Euros final since, but I didn't have the same level of religious fervour about that England team as I did about the ones in 90, 96 and even 98. Maybe because that was my era, I do not know.

Anyone else feel that way?

90 was special, and it was Gazza and Bobby....

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 15:55 - Sep 13 with 795 viewsGlasgowBlue

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 10:25 - Sep 13 by homer_123

Jude Bellingham by homer_123 12 Sep 2023 21:33
We've been there before.....we won't have a better chance than in 2018 IMHO.

We had a better chance in 2021 to be fair. 1-0 up against an average Italian side and we sat back and showed no desire to pile on the pressure.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 16:06 - Sep 13 with 788 views_clive_baker_

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 15:55 - Sep 13 by GlasgowBlue

We had a better chance in 2021 to be fair. 1-0 up against an average Italian side and we sat back and showed no desire to pile on the pressure.

Yep, on our own patch as well off the back of Ukraine 1/4s and semi vs Denmark.

I'm sure if we played that final 10 times we would win more often than not.
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 16:45 - Sep 13 with 754 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 15:29 - Sep 13 by Lion

90 was special, and it was Gazza and Bobby....

That decade of football for Ipswich and England was special. Italia 90, Ipswich winning the second tier in 1992, three years of Premiership football when it was still exciting, Euro 96, Ipswich in back to back Playoffs playing fantastic football, World 98 ... all the merchandise, games, TV surrounding football at that time, the outlandish kits, everything was fun!
England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 16:59 - Sep 13 with 737 viewsHerbivore

We've got the quality, it's the ability to produce the in the big moments that lets us down. Croatia in 2018, Kane misses a chance/makes the wrong decision at 1-0 when we were in the ascendancy and could have put the game beyond them. 2021 against Italy, we score early but then don't manage the game well enough and fluff our lines in the penalty shootout when ahead. 2022, Kane misses a penalty against France in a game where they barely had a kick but showed their quality in a couple of key moments to score twice against us. Trouble is, our key man isn't just a bit Spursy, he is Mr Spurs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

England - about time we won something and it should be the Euros. It is actually on 17:18 - Sep 13 with 715 viewsnoggin

I'd rather Ipswich won the play off final.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024