Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Private Health Care 11:50 - Oct 16 with 2609 viewsblueasfook

Anyone else basically given up with the NHS and get most things done privately now?

I have a radiology thing on the 25th. Appointment requested about a week ago. These are typical waiting times for things at my local Nuffield hospital. You wait for nothing longer than about 2/3 weeks.

Current waiting times:
MRI – 3 weeks
CT – within 1 week, cardiacs will take longer as radiologist is in once a week.
Mammos – please book through Health screen on 03452 30 20 40
Xray – Available on the day, but could be busy on clinic days.
US –
❖ MSK – 2 weeks
❖ Echos – 2 weeks
❖ Upper GI – within 2 weeks
❖ Neuro – 3 weeks
❖ Gynae – 2 week
❖ Urology – Within 2 weeks
❖ Paediatric – once a month for consultants based at the Nuffield only.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Private Health Care on 11:54 - Oct 16 with 2570 viewsBuhrer

No, I haven't given up on the NHS. My GP, dentist and recent xray/physio hospital care have been very good, and within good time.
Private Health Care on 11:54 - Oct 16 with 2569 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I am currently awaiting an operation that has been cancelled 3 times now, I really do not want to go private as that lets the Tories win, but I am in agony so it is very tempting. The NHS has been driven into the ground.

How much does it cost per month? Could I and my Mrs jointly join?
Private Health Care on 12:00 - Oct 16 with 2534 viewsblueasfook

Private Health Care on 11:54 - Oct 16 by Buhrer

No, I haven't given up on the NHS. My GP, dentist and recent xray/physio hospital care have been very good, and within good time.

Really? You must be one of the lucky ones then. I had a blood test the other week that came back with a little abnormality that I have to discuss with GP. Rang up for an appointment and got told he will call me (not see me in person), in 3 weeks time!

Private Health Care on 12:03 - Oct 16 with 2526 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It was reported (think it was the BBC) that the number of PMI policies has reached record levels in the UK.

Unfortunately due to the willing destruction of the NHS by the government we are already at a two tier medical system between the haves and have nots. I.e those that can afford it can jump the queue (and I say this as someone who has PMI).
Private Health Care on 12:04 - Oct 16 with 2523 viewsblueasfook

Private Health Care on 11:54 - Oct 16 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I am currently awaiting an operation that has been cancelled 3 times now, I really do not want to go private as that lets the Tories win, but I am in agony so it is very tempting. The NHS has been driven into the ground.

How much does it cost per month? Could I and my Mrs jointly join?

I get Private Health Care cover with my employer through Axa PPP. I pay an annual cost toward it deducted from my salary. Cant remember how much it is. Few hundred quid I think. To take out your own policy would probably be more as you wouldnt get your employer contributing obvs. But look into it.

Try AXA, Bupa websites for a quote.

Private Health Care on 12:06 - Oct 16 with 2511 viewsblueasfook

Private Health Care on 12:03 - Oct 16 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It was reported (think it was the BBC) that the number of PMI policies has reached record levels in the UK.

Unfortunately due to the willing destruction of the NHS by the government we are already at a two tier medical system between the haves and have nots. I.e those that can afford it can jump the queue (and I say this as someone who has PMI).

Yep sadly that's the way its going. I would love to ditch my medical cover and save a few quid but with NHS as it is now, I am very glad to have it if I need any treatment.

Private Health Care on 12:33 - Oct 16 with 2414 viewsbluelagos

Lucky not to have needed the NHS for anything serious - but for my eyes, teeth and now ears - have gone private for years - as the NHS don't seemingly cover these.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Private Health Care on 12:33 - Oct 16 with 2417 viewsPendejo

With regards PMI - always remember pre-existing conditions are excluded and other covers will have limits.

My aunt went bankrupt twice in USA they cancer; went from being a well off home owner to a much less well off renter. I really hope this country doesn't go that way.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Private Health Care on 12:40 - Oct 16 with 2386 viewsRyorry

Thing is, you have to be pretty healthy for a private health care provider to accept you.

Even if you're healthy when you sign up for it, they'll slap a massive premium on as soon as you develop any illness.

And lord help anyone with pre-existing condition/s - even if you find a private company willing to take you on, premiums would be eyewatering/unaffordable.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Private Health Care on 12:47 - Oct 16 with 2345 viewsPlums

Private Health Care on 12:33 - Oct 16 by bluelagos

Lucky not to have needed the NHS for anything serious - but for my eyes, teeth and now ears - have gone private for years - as the NHS don't seemingly cover these.

You're spot on there. I'm currently around 11 months into an 18 month waiting list for a test for Menieres disease. I appreciate I am a demographic that isn't a priority but it would be nice to know if I need to plan for going deaf at some point in the future.

Another British institution trashed by the Tories
[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 12:54]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Private Health Care on 12:48 - Oct 16 with 2337 viewsLeoMuff

Private Health Care on 12:00 - Oct 16 by blueasfook

Really? You must be one of the lucky ones then. I had a blood test the other week that came back with a little abnormality that I have to discuss with GP. Rang up for an appointment and got told he will call me (not see me in person), in 3 weeks time!

Don’t see the problem with that really, 3 weeks to discuss non urgent results is hardly problematic, and why have a discussion face to face these days if it doesn’t need to be.

The big issues are mri scan, surgery, neurology, cardiology all huge waits round here.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Private Health Care on 13:11 - Oct 16 with 2242 viewsblueasfook

Private Health Care on 12:33 - Oct 16 by Pendejo

With regards PMI - always remember pre-existing conditions are excluded and other covers will have limits.

My aunt went bankrupt twice in USA they cancer; went from being a well off home owner to a much less well off renter. I really hope this country doesn't go that way.

Yeah there is a limit to what my policy will pay out for but for the little bits and pieces of treatment I need - mostly shoulder problems, my right shoulder is fooked - it covers me and I can get treatment within a couple of weeks rather than waiting 6 months or so on the NHS.

But yes, hopefully the next govt will make some efforts to restore the NHS after 13 years of being financially starved by the tories.

Private Health Care on 13:13 - Oct 16 with 2228 viewsDubtractor

Same here, without the ear problems (yet).

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Private Health Care on 13:51 - Oct 16 with 2152 viewsBuhrer

Private Health Care on 12:00 - Oct 16 by blueasfook

The systems creaking, and I assume will break, but when I've needed it I've mainly had swift professional help that resolved issues.

My wife works for the NHS, so I am biased though.
Private Health Care on 14:18 - Oct 16 with 2112 viewsgeg1992

Interesting that Private is still a 3 week wait for an MRI. My wife had her MRI appointment in around 2 weeks under the NHS, although the results took 3 months for some reason.

I'm sticking to NHS as private is a lot of money when I already pay taxes for my healthcare. If it becomes urgent, I will look into private.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Private Health Care on 16:31 - Oct 16 with 1982 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have gone private for cancer-related treatments after a very, very negative series of issues with NHS diagnosis & treatment. (Delays, mismanaged op process, poor post-op management).

If there were a private gp service in Ipswich, I would sign up rightaway. Again, very poor quality of service in the last 3 years, incl a prescription for a med that my then-condition meant I shouldn't take. (Luckily, I read up on it before taking, called and they admitted an error.....).
Private Health Care on 16:37 - Oct 16 with 1974 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’ve had to go fully private for dentist.m, and boy does it cost. Just the initial consultation is £200. That’s just to see if they’ll take you on and to assess how many tens of £s a month it’ll cost. It’s a whole different experience to the NHS ones I’ve used though.

I suspect I’d go private if I needed something done that was affecting my quality of life but not life threatening. Why wait in pain for 2-3 years if you can avoid it? But that’s how they get you, isn’t it. I’d rather have a fit for purpose NHS.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Private Health Care on 18:02 - Oct 16 with 1863 viewsLord_Lucan

My GP practice is all but useless and my dentist kicked me out.

I then realised that my dogs had health insurance but I didn't - so I quickly signed myself and the Mrs up to a decent private health package.

Furthermore, I was so annoyed with my dentist that I have had all my teeth out and awaiting final implant stage, which will be next month.

Feck em all.

They will not win!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Private Health Care on 18:56 - Oct 16 with 1813 viewsPlums

Private Health Care on 16:37 - Oct 16 by Swansea_Blue

We’ve had to go fully private for dentist.m, and boy does it cost. Just the initial consultation is £200. That’s just to see if they’ll take you on and to assess how many tens of £s a month it’ll cost. It’s a whole different experience to the NHS ones I’ve used though.

I suspect I’d go private if I needed something done that was affecting my quality of life but not life threatening. Why wait in pain for 2-3 years if you can avoid it? But that’s how they get you, isn’t it. I’d rather have a fit for purpose NHS.

It's probably cheaper to go to Germany! My son needed emergency treatment after having a front tooth knocked back playing football. It was the sunday of a bank holiday weekend. The dentist opened up her practice, her nurse came in, they x-rayed him and fitted him with an emergency brace. I had travel insurance so braced myself for a four figure bill. 240 Euros!

I remain convinced that had it been in the UK, he would have lost his tooth. That dentist saved it and four years later, it's healthy.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Private Health Care on 19:21 - Oct 16 with 1793 viewsnoggin

F**K the tories and everyone who voted for them.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Private Health Care on 20:47 - Oct 16 with 1700 viewsTractorWood

Private Health Care on 12:04 - Oct 16 by blueasfook

I get Private Health Care cover with my employer through Axa PPP. I pay an annual cost toward it deducted from my salary. Cant remember how much it is. Few hundred quid I think. To take out your own policy would probably be more as you wouldnt get your employer contributing obvs. But look into it.

Try AXA, Bupa websites for a quote.

Same. A lot of places will cover your better half and family at a really decent rate too, if not free.

It goes on your p11d too so you pay tax on but it's a good insurance policy against the absolute worst happening and I really wouldn't want to wait for the NHS in that scenario.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 20:47]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Private Health Care on 09:29 - Oct 17 with 1541 viewsitfcjoe

Private Health Care on 16:31 - Oct 16 by Freddies_Ears

I have gone private for cancer-related treatments after a very, very negative series of issues with NHS diagnosis & treatment. (Delays, mismanaged op process, poor post-op management).

If there were a private gp service in Ipswich, I would sign up rightaway. Again, very poor quality of service in the last 3 years, incl a prescription for a med that my then-condition meant I shouldn't take. (Luckily, I read up on it before taking, called and they admitted an error.....).

My Mum has had similar, had found a lump, tried to get to Drs and was fobbed off with them asking for photos of it to be sent etc and didn't get anywhere - she has private through work went down that route and 5 weeks later was under the knife for surgery.

She'd probably still be waiting through GP to be seen and it could have gone from treatable to past that stage

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Private Health Care on 13:00 - Oct 17 with 1477 viewsCrawfordsboot

Covering your ears, eyes and mouth I guess you hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil!
🤔
Private Health Care on 13:08 - Oct 17 with 1451 viewsCrawfordsboot

Setting aside for a moment the politics I think you will find that for absolutely critical stuff the NHS will give you the best treatment. Often private hospitals pass the tricky stuff to the NHS. Doctor friends of mine wouldn’t go near a private hospital for serious illness.

If it’s elective treatment then private can be a good option for prompt treatment.

Friends of mine pay a sum equivalent to a family Policy premium into a cash ISA every year and view that as their insurance fund should they need to call on it. Not a perfect solution but worth considering.
Private Health Care on 13:41 - Oct 17 with 1396 viewsjasondozzell

The NHS saved my life. I had cancer treatment and an operation and at every stage the staff were brilliant from reception to consultants.

The system is under huge pressure though and I had to wait a long time for my scan results. But treatment was prompt and excellent.

It's an incredible institution and it's a disgrace that there's no public conversation about how we fund it properly. Instead we're given no choice at all at the moment - two parties who will only talk about reform which is shorthand for more privatisation. 2019 felt like the last chance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024