Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TV signal experts 09:20 - Dec 6 with 1460 viewsWhos_blue

A bit random, but I know someone here will have the answer.
A couple of weeks ago our TV signal became disrupted. All the Freeview channels disappeared and nothing recorded.
We use a BT box via an ariel in the loft.
I did all the usual stuff. Retune, reboot etc.
The problem was intermittent though.
This week we've discovered it happens when the kitchen lights are switched on!!!!
This has never been a problem before, so no idea what has changed.
It's clearly not practical to just not use the lights.
Any ideas what may have happened here or how I can resolve this?

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

TV signal experts on 09:30 - Dec 6 with 1417 viewstextbackup

Call digital dimensions (if you’re Ipswich/Suffolk based) he’ll sort it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

TV signal experts on 09:36 - Dec 6 with 1407 viewsblueasfook

Sounds like impulse interference. Could be something on the light circuit like a poor connection that is producing arcing or something. I'd say likely the switch has developed a problem. Are you using good quality shielded cable for the link between the antenna and the STB?

Try replacing the light switch if it's old. If that doesn't cure it, you will need to get an electrician in to to test your light circuit for any RFI it might be producing.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

TV signal experts on 09:56 - Dec 6 with 1368 viewsRyorry

You'll need a bit more than washing powder in your loft ;)

Seriously, as well as the electric circuitry/fuses, I'd check you haven't got mice in your attic. When I lived on the Orkney Islands, a couple of mechanics were scratching their heads after a new battery failed to sort my car's non-starting problem, only to find when they looked further into the bonnet that a rat had been using it as a home & had chewed through a couple of cables ...

Poll: Time of the annunciation

TV signal experts on 10:06 - Dec 6 with 1350 viewswischip

I too have a tv aerial inside my loft. It seems to be connected to the electrics with a switch. I always thought that was an amplifier for the aerial to boost the signal because it was under the roof rather than outside, so I've never messed with the switch. My guess is your aerial is connected on the same ring circuit as your kitchen lights. I'd have to ask an electrician anything further on that as how to they might be conflicting.
TV signal experts on 11:07 - Dec 6 with 1273 viewsWhos_blue

Cheers everyone.

TWTD on top of everything as always!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

TV signal experts on 12:04 - Dec 6 with 1182 viewsfactual_blue

Sounds like either the kitchen lights or the aerial connection might be causing the circuit to short.

Or there is a poltergeist in your loft.

Either an electrician or an exorcist is the answer.

Or possibly both.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TV signal experts on 12:44 - Dec 6 with 1135 viewsBloomBlue

I've known TV aerials to be earthed into the house eletric ring main. Never sure if that is good or bad, but have known people to have eletric cause issues with the TV aerial because of that.
TV signal experts on 16:45 - Dec 6 with 957 viewsBasuco

Sorry, bit late, but have you tried plugging the aerial lead directly into the TV and switching off the BT box? Then switch the kitchen lights on? Also if you have a long mains extension lead, plug the BT box in an upstairs socket to see if it is still the same. How many kitchen lights do you have? Have you changed a bulb in there recently? Maybe take all bulbs out except one to see if it still happens. Then change that over to rule out a bulb fault. A random fault like this is often a random cause.
Login to get fewer ads

TV signal experts on 16:54 - Dec 6 with 945 viewsPerublue

I know on my Vauxhall chevette in the 80's we used a metal coathanger to pick up the radio caroline or lazer after losing our aerial.....simpler times

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

TV signal experts on 16:58 - Dec 6 with 933 viewsCoastalblue

TV signal experts on 16:54 - Dec 6 by Perublue

I know on my Vauxhall chevette in the 80's we used a metal coathanger to pick up the radio caroline or lazer after losing our aerial.....simpler times

The Chevette was an underated car for it's day. So were coat hanger recievers, I still remember the Billy Big Ones feeling I had when I fitted my first electrical aerial on my car.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024