Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. 14:36 - Feb 7 with 1389 viewsBlueBadger

...in period dramas whenever a non-white person appears in one and people like this is basically a circle.

I mean, I don't know much about Alexander the great but I DO know that it's pretty well established knowledge that he liked conquering and cocks.
[Post edited 7 Feb 14:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 15:53 - Feb 7 with 1223 viewsDanTheMan

I think this is supposed to be a docuseries, so historical accuracy would count for something here.

As for his sexuality, it's debatable whether he was gay, bisexual, or straight (and that's applying modern sexuality standards to ancient society which usually doesn't work).

I'm going to guess the relationship pictured is Hephaestion. Some debate as to whether they were lovers or not, a lot of hints but nothing concrete.

Then there was Bagoas (a eunuch) which has firmer ground for them having some form of sexual relationship.

Of course, the person above doesn't care about any of this and is merely using this as a culture war talking point.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 15:57 - Feb 7 with 1195 viewsBluespeed225

It all went a bit Spartacus!
A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:00 - Feb 7 with 1187 viewsleitrimblue

I have a horrible feeling Matteo is gonna need counselling when he hears what he's iron age ancestors we're up too..
A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:06 - Feb 7 with 1164 viewsfactual_blue

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:00 - Feb 7 by leitrimblue

I have a horrible feeling Matteo is gonna need counselling when he hears what he's iron age ancestors we're up too..

Was it the 'Iron' age in the cockney rhyming slang sense?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:11 - Feb 7 with 1149 viewsBlueBadger

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 15:53 - Feb 7 by DanTheMan

I think this is supposed to be a docuseries, so historical accuracy would count for something here.

As for his sexuality, it's debatable whether he was gay, bisexual, or straight (and that's applying modern sexuality standards to ancient society which usually doesn't work).

I'm going to guess the relationship pictured is Hephaestion. Some debate as to whether they were lovers or not, a lot of hints but nothing concrete.

Then there was Bagoas (a eunuch) which has firmer ground for them having some form of sexual relationship.

Of course, the person above doesn't care about any of this and is merely using this as a culture war talking point.

I mean, if they were interested in 'historical accuracy', they'd be getting the arse(pun intended, given the context of the OP) about Alexander being portrayed by a blonde, pale skinned dude.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:12 - Feb 7 with 1148 viewsleitrimblue

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:06 - Feb 7 by factual_blue

Was it the 'Iron' age in the cockney rhyming slang sense?

I had a classy mate that while frequenting some of Haverhills more up market drinking venues during the 90,s use to have the deep and considered motto of 'every hole is a goal'. I believe he was very influenced by his iron age ancestors
A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:19 - Feb 7 with 1119 viewsDanTheMan

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:11 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

I mean, if they were interested in 'historical accuracy', they'd be getting the arse(pun intended, given the context of the OP) about Alexander being portrayed by a blonde, pale skinned dude.

Pale certainly seems a bit odd, I think the closest thing we have to a painting of him near the time period was from that mosaic in Pompeii where he's somewhat dark skinned with brown hair.

He was described as having pale skin and I think it was hair the colour of a lion mane, so maybe even a bit ginger. In terms of general looks of course, none of it matters which is your point but I don't think race swapping in a documentary would be a particularly good idea. Especially as there are lots of fascinating traditionally black stories to tell that get next to no coverage.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:34 - Feb 7 with 1065 viewsGuthrum

It's not so much that Alexander was gay in the modern sense, as that pederasty was an established part of Ancient Greek aristocratic society.

Pederasty being the pairing of boys with older men as mentors, patrons and lovers (with the advantage of no dynastically awkward children being conceived). Indeed the elite regiment of Thebes, the Sacred Band, consisted entirely of male couples, with the idea they would fight harder for each other. A similar system existed among Samurai in feudal Japan.

So it was entirely natural that Alexander's closest companions should also be his lovers. However, he also had several female wives. Just a different world-view.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 22:37 - Feb 7 with 751 viewsKeno

A venn diagram of people who insist on 'historical accuracy'.. on 16:34 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

It's not so much that Alexander was gay in the modern sense, as that pederasty was an established part of Ancient Greek aristocratic society.

Pederasty being the pairing of boys with older men as mentors, patrons and lovers (with the advantage of no dynastically awkward children being conceived). Indeed the elite regiment of Thebes, the Sacred Band, consisted entirely of male couples, with the idea they would fight harder for each other. A similar system existed among Samurai in feudal Japan.

So it was entirely natural that Alexander's closest companions should also be his lovers. However, he also had several female wives. Just a different world-view.

Well blow me down, I never knew that

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024