Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk 10:51 - Jan 27 with 862 viewsHanser

Back to the bad old days...

https://cnduk.org/resources/raf-lakenheath-us-nuclear-weapons-return-to-britain/
Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:00 - Jan 27 with 803 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Response to a threat. The world generally is in a bad place, particularly in the east of Europe.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:23 - Jan 27 with 693 viewsElephantintheRoom

Good old days surely?

Not many wars in Europe whilst those B-52s from Alconbury were rotating around the clock to the edge of Russian airspace with live nuclear bombs on board.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:30 - Jan 27 with 663 viewsblueasfook

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:23 - Jan 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Good old days surely?

Not many wars in Europe whilst those B-52s from Alconbury were rotating around the clock to the edge of Russian airspace with live nuclear bombs on board.

Agree. I think there's a strong case for arguing that nuclear weapons have probably kept the peace since the 1950s. Two World wars started in Europe in the first half of the last century. Its called a nuclear deterrent for a reason. Pacifists like CND think giving up that would somehow make us safer!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:38 - Jan 27 with 639 viewsGuthrum

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:23 - Jan 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Good old days surely?

The difference then, as a friend of mine likes to point out, was that there existed a degree of detente alongside the mutually assured destruction. The two sides talked to each other. Brezhnev was a pragmatist. The Soviets felt there was balance, rather than Russian encirclement paranoia now.

This is more like the 1950s hair-trigger riskiness, leading up to the Cuban crisis, but with far greater and more immediate destructive power available.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:41 - Jan 27 with 620 viewsTrequartista

Does that make us more or less of a target in Suffolk ? i.e. would you send over a nuke to try and take out opposition nukes, or are you past caring about that by that stage and just go for London?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:44 - Jan 27 with 604 viewsbazza

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:41 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

Does that make us more or less of a target in Suffolk ? i.e. would you send over a nuke to try and take out opposition nukes, or are you past caring about that by that stage and just go for London?

Would anyone notice if lakenheath or the mildenhall area got hit by a nuke? It’s like Chernobyl already out that way..
Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:50 - Jan 27 with 574 viewsblueasfook

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:41 - Jan 27 by Trequartista

I think Russia have enough nukes to cover both our military sites and big cities. But first strike would generally target military bases to reduce our ability to launch a counter strike.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:53 - Jan 27 with 557 viewsbazza

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:50 - Jan 27 by blueasfook

I think Russia have enough nukes to cover both our military sites and big cities. But first strike would generally target military bases to reduce our ability to launch a counter strike.

They have so many, it would totally overwhelm our defence, 1 screaming rocket would be enough for the French to surrender.
Login to get fewer ads

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 12:03 - Jan 27 with 510 viewschicoazul

Nuclear Weapons Returning To Suffolk on 11:38 - Jan 27 by Guthrum

The difference then, as a friend of mine likes to point out, was that there existed a degree of detente alongside the mutually assured destruction. The two sides talked to each other. Brezhnev was a pragmatist. The Soviets felt there was balance, rather than Russian encirclement paranoia now.

This is more like the 1950s hair-trigger riskiness, leading up to the Cuban crisis, but with far greater and more immediate destructive power available.

Do you really believe what you just posted
The Soviet Union felt there was “balance”
The Soviet Union felt that? About the west?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024