Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any legal bods familiar with the Landlord and Tenants Act 1954 11:18 - Nov 7 with 583 viewsSouthBucksBlue

My business tenancy has latterly been by a 'Fixed Term Licence' of 6 months, the license fee being payable monthly (there's been a series of these for some years). A 'Notice' paragraph states that 'This license is for a fixed term definite for the period and upon expiry the License Agreement shall absolutely cease forthwith."
The term expired some months ago but I've continued to occupy the space. There's been no further formal agreement but the landlords knew I was still there so they have been continuing to bill me on a monthly basis (which I've paid of course).
There are new owners of the business centre who have been trying to get new more punitive tenancy agreements signed which I in common with several other tenants have been resisting.
A few weeks ago the site manger of the centre told me (verbally only) that he had been instructed to tell tenants that if they didn't sign new agreements by the end of the month they would be locked out of their units so I've taken the opportunity to vacate the space as I've been meaning to anyway.
The landlord is claiming that even though the license has expired, because I've still been occupying the premises, I have to give 3 months rental as notice under Section 27 of the above act. I researched it and Section 27 refers to continuations of tenancy after contractual expiry by virtue of Section 24 of this act. I can't seem to find any info on Section 24 that I can understand so my question is does Section 24 and thence 27 apply in this case.
Many thanks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024