Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The racist chant issue 16:13 - Oct 23 with 628 viewsMartus

The latest version of a long line of "Kick it out" campaigns is a perfect opportunity to re-evaluate what we as a society perceive to be racist. Where the recent "Toto chant" is an excellent opportunity to do so and properly look at what we think racism actually is. The whole point of the campaign is to educate those on what it is to be racist — and the recent debate which has been in there forums is a perfect example of how we as a society have differing views on what it is to be racist. If we are not all singing off the same hymn sheet — then we can’t say we are or ever will be free of racism.

We know what stereotype the chant is referring to - and we know that it is associated to a specific race. As such, those singing are singling out Toto and using that stereotype to do so. Whilst many perceive that to misguided banter and just the immature voices of a minority of fans - it is at its heart, racist. There should be no leeway with this - I'm not suggesting those singing the chant are trying to insult Toto with the intention of being racist. But unfortunately, they are singing something inspired by a racist idea.

The link below illustrates this perfectly:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/19/manchester-united-racial-s

Whilst I don’t want these fans to be punished for what I’m sure is just ignorance - a word I’m not trying to use as an insult, instead for them just to stop singing it and understand why others have condemned them singing it. But it is a perfect opportunity to evaluate what we believe it is to be racist. We are allowing fans to single out a player based on his race. Now I want to contest that idea, and say it is racist, because I believe it to be so. There will be those who disagree - but I can't believe that there is a reasoned defence against that idea. And would happily contest anyone who believes they have one.

We saw and heard the small minority of condemned Bulgarian fans that singled out our Black players and referred to them as monkeys with their monkey chants — which is another stereotype. While many of you will say there is no comparison here and it is over the top to compare the two situations. But at the end of the day, both actions are inspired by a racist idea. Yes, one was meant to be malicious whereas the chant is not meant to be. But the chant is still at its core racist and is the reason why many of those who have been asked to give their opinion on the subject mention that England is not innocent, and our society is still ravaged by racist ideas. If we had a single idea of what it is to be racist — then we would condemn both chants for their racist connotations 0 regardless if they are meant to be malicious.

For what it's worth - I am a 27-year-old white male, who likes to believe he has sound set of morals. But we still have racism in this county, as we still have sexism and homophobia which are both heavily used by football fans as light-hearted banter to insult one another and those on the pitch as well. The fact remains, if they are used in the stands at a football match - then they are in society and not just confined to football.

The fact that we think this is okay is the problem - because of many of us aren’t insulted should not be the reasoning of why it isn’t racist. It is still a form of racism, maybe not malicious, but that way of thinking is dangerous and means racism can’t be eradicated if those kinds of thoughts are allowed to exist and be classed as banter. I just hope it means those who sing it stop — and hope my fellow fans will support anyone who stands up and tells them to stop.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 16:33]

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024