Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Just look at Leeds, Sunderland, the Sheffield teams"... 15:39 - Feb 14 with 882 viewsLankHenners

Ok Paul, I will.

*shout out Dubbers in another thread who made this point and prompted me to confirm what I thought he was saying was correct*

When Leeds were relegated to League 1 they had a 15 points deduction so promotion attempts were handicapped. They still finished in the play-offs and had they not had the deduction they'd have been Champions. Gary McAllister replaced Dennis Wise half-way through then he was replaced the following season by Simon Grayson who got them up the season after. This was all 2007-2010.

Sunderland sacked their manager this season after play-off failure and are now in there again. TBC on that one.

Sheffield Wednesday, controversially, sacked forum favourite Gary Megson when 3rd in the table in their 2nd season down since relegation in 2010. They ended up in 2nd.

Sheffield Utd changed manager a few times before Wilder took them up. They were in League 1 from 2011-2017. Worth mentioning they changed owner as well and actually know what they're doing as a club but that's a separate point.

So, whilst there are always nuances, Lambert's point that big clubs have had it bad down here before comes with the caveat that making things better again involved a change in manager. A large plate of hobnobs for Phil if he makes that point in the next presser.

Plus of course most of the above was several years ago where the fast-changing nature of the game makes it almost incomparable. Sh!tters like Rotherham and Millwall have come down and bounced back up straight away or very quickly in more recent years anyway. We all knew that his 'big clubs have struggled' line was a way of avoiding scrutiny but it lays it out pretty clearly that it's certainly not an excuse for his own shortcomings.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

"Just look at Leeds, Sunderland, the Sheffield teams"... on 15:51 - Feb 14 with 813 viewsTractorJack

"So what if we're badly run, other clubs have been badly run in the past"
"Just look at Leeds, Sunderland, the Sheffield teams"... on 18:26 - Feb 14 with 681 viewsPecker

Very well put together. Just shows what a shower of a manager he is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024