Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thanks for 46 Mostly Good Years forgetting the last dozen or so 09:57 - Dec 5 with 1430 viewsmanningtreeblue

An email to local press & the club

"Good morning
On the morning I await my UEFA Cup 40 year commemoration book wherein my name will be proudly printed, it is with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to stop putting money into Ipswich Town in any shape or form whilst Paul Lambert remains. I am sure some of you addressees, particularly at the club may be tempted to stop reading at this point in support of Paul but please hear me out!

At the end of last season, I ceased my Season Ticket after 46 years due to COVID but as soon as vaccinated had every intention to be back. This can be seen wherein I opted for credit to be put against my account for future use in respect of last years refund. I have also watched some 16 of 19 iFollow matches despite the poor camerawork this year.

To give my background, I first watched Ipswich in 1974 and have had a Season Ticket ever since. I have written a book Adventures of a Tractor Boy which to date has sold over a 1000 copies and made over £2000 for Colchester Special Care Baby Unit and at one stage would never miss a home game, even travelling back from holiday for games to continue the run but once you miss one, it is a lot easier to miss another and more and more particularly in more mediocre times. In these current sad climes due to Covid 19 and an under performing & poorly ran club, I fear there will be 1000s more feeling the way I do

The ITSC statement this week followed by Marcus Evans statement which just confirmed either little regard for the supporters or a complete misunderstanding of what a supporter is this week were the final nails in the coffin that broke my resolve as a supporter to stick through thick & thin. I had already bought the Plymouth iFollow pass but this will be the last one so I will have to find something else to do on a Saturday rather than trying to persuade my father in law (a supporter of 70+ years) that it is better entertainment than the rugby or a Western. Once Lambert is no longer in charge and Marcus can prove contrary to my belief that he is doing the decent thing & keeping us afloat but has given up the Premiership dream & will be quite happy to keep the club in Division One or even Two (which in real money is Division 3 or 4!!), I will maybe come back to watching week on week or maybe I will have been away from it for too long & not bother? I appreciate a supporter should stick with it whatsoever but it is too sad to watch the club on a one way trajectory & I seriously believe unless Marcus not only changes manager, but changes the way he is running the club and also changes advisers on who the next manager should be, the club is in serious danger of Conference football in under 5 years. Remember we were too big to get relegated from the Championship weren't we? I will continue to air my views on Twitter & TWTD as I cannot stop caring altogether

In my view there are 4 main problems:-
Marcus Evans

1. Easy to say in hindsight his management appointments have been woeful with exception of McCarthy whose time had ran its distance by the end - Who advises him as even if Lambert does go I have no confidence he will get the next one right - in fact I am sure he won't

2 He had his finger burnt spending on some poor players under Hurst & Jewell & has been tightening purse strings ever since

3 In 2015 he failed to invest in McCarthy which could have taken us to the Premiership

4 Hurst, I thought was a good choice but there was no step in when Hurst put virtually a complete Div 1 / 2 players in starting line up to set us up for relegation

5 Lambert has under performed since Norwich days when he split with Culverhouse who must have been brains in the operation

6 Look at the alleged interviewees such as Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Potter at Brighton that were never appointed for whatever reason - some big ones to have missed out on

7 All these point plans that never seem to deliver

8 To state we cannot make judgement from iFollow - That is the only option and by us doing that it is income you are receiving so retract that comment

Paul Lambert
1 He should have gone last season - 2019/20 started well results wise but performances were never great - soon exited cups focussed on the leagu which we went into freefall

2 Almost a carbon copy again this year but exited cups earlier

3 Formation is consistent but tbh 70% possession just outside our own box won't hurt anyone will it - look at Oxford first shot in 90th minute

4 Crawley, that cup itself didn't matter but playing all the kids for experience - it was after the FA Cup and 12 days before next league game so why not blood a few with some first teamers - playing the lot against Crawley reserves (who changed complete starting 11 after their Sunday 6-5 win at Torquay) who outplayed them was hardly great work experience

5 He has made various public comments and actions against youngsters but wont do the same re the Seniors - 1. Hardly motivation for the kids 2. Is he scared of the seniors?

6 Don't ever accuse fans of picking on youngsters, we are all behind them - talk about hypocritical

7 Clear delusion with his unbelievable football - we can see it isn't and it is in Division 3 after all

8 Can we get through an interview without bringing up Dortmund & big clubs - It's history Paul, you can't live off that just as our beloved club cannot live off the great days it had either

Lee O Neill
1 Why? He is clearly little more than a yes man for Marcus Evans although he apparently heads up science and fitness as part of his role. That admission alone should see him gone as it has been clear for years there is something wrong with amount of injuries at the club. I am sure Norwood has had far more than at any other club and look at Webster and McGoldrick who were little more than sicknotes here suddenly making miraculous recoveries to play 40 odd games a season when move on

2 His interviews clearly do not show any real understanding of supporters - it is all lip service upwards to Marcus and outwards to us but delivers no value for the salary he is on

3 With Marcus's clear inability at running the show this role needs to be for someone highly experienced not an apprentice

Fans

1. I am grateful for Marcus keeping us afloat but still question the last 12 years and his current honbest ambitions. Too many just think of him as the saviour but do not recognise where he is taking us and they should do

I would be more than happy to sit on any groups ITSC or Blue Action or appear on any webcasts to expand on my views (some may feel expansive enough). I hate to be negative but find that impossible in the current situation and I am sure many share my view and also some won't. However the one thing in common whichever side of the fence you sit on is our love and concern for the club and our want to stop the continued slide into oblivion

Wishing only the best for Ipswich Town
Thanks for 46 Mostly Good Years forgetting the last dozen or so on 12:03 - Dec 5 with 941 viewsbluebudgie

Great post ,sums up my feelings exactly after supporting Town for nearly 60 years
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024