Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans and McCarthy 07:45 - Apr 7 with 1268 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

The situation at the football club is not very pleasant or nice to be around at the moment. We all know that. However, some would say we are a mess from top to bottom - half agree - but the real issue stems from the top; Marcus Evans.

What doesn't bother me about Evans is the lack of financial backing given to Mick - personally, given the style of football and Mick's type of player, I don't personally see what someone who's worth £2m can give to the side anymore than someone who's bought on a free. Yes, Mick seems to produce a loan signing every season (Williams, Fraser, Lawrence) who have been the spark and added real quality, however, it's a team game and those on a free, like Daryl Murphy, Luke Chambers, Christophe Berra, Cole Skuse etc have been just as, if not, more important over the past few seasons on and off the pitch. So the financial backing side to it doesn't particularly bother me... Anyway, money spent on Webster, Ward, Bialkowski etc have all paid off for minimal fees.

What bothers me is the clear lack of direction by Evans. For example, the 5 point plan released before the halfway point in the season. Why release it then? Why not release that pre season so us fans know what the aim is. At what point did it suddenly occur that it had to be released there and then?

Style of football - does Evans have a philosophy of how he wants to play? For me, he doesn't at all, and therefore, keeping Mick McCarthy for as long as Evans is here seems the most logical and best decision Evans can make. Without Mick, we'd be a lot worse and I'll get a lot of hate about this, but under Evans, be careful what you wish for if you want Mick out because he's keeping this club going without any responsible ownership from Evans.

For me, an owner has to have a clear philosophy of how he wants to see his football club run. A clear style of play, targets of what to achieve that season through the academy, a transfer budget to work on, ticket prices set to attract fans etc... But with Evans, that isn't there and whilst he's here, we will stagnate, but keeping Mick, despite his style, is absolutely crucial for this football club if we want Championship status at the minimum.

The problem lies with Marcus Evans at this club - not Mick McCarthy, because it's a results business not a performance business, and Mick gets the results that his club/team deserve based on their actual ability.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Evans and McCarthy on 08:07 - Apr 7 with 1202 viewschristiand

Certainly agree with most of the points you raise. ME's lack of a response is a concern. I, like you, wish he would come out and state what his intentions are for Ipswich - this causes a lot of my frustration, but I'd probably feel more content if he stipulated what his ambitions were. Currently, I just think the club make it up as they go a long and rarely give much consideration to long term planning. I doubt this is the case, but this is the impression that is given by the club.

With regards to MM, if he was given more money it would be the same style of play with more expensive players. He doesn't know how to play any other way, so until he goes there will be no change in our style. I'm not even convinced he will go come the summer! He's too loyal to certain selections, regardless of what MM thinks!

This season has been utterly shambolic both on and off the field and will have an impact on our immediate future. Changes need to be made, but I think we will revert to type- changes will be minimal in the summer, the club will stick its head in the sand in the hope that the club and supporter divide will blow over during the summer! It's quite depressing being a blue at the moment, but I live in hope that the wind of change will sweep through the club for the better for all concerned. After all, I think we deserve it for the way we have been treated certainly in recent history!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Evans and McCarthy on 08:20 - Apr 7 with 1191 viewsNo9

The secret is in Mr Milne's message; the squad is very large and is much better on paper than the resuts show.

If that came from the top which is almost certain then the Owner doesn't think MM should have anymore money until he has reduced the squad size & removed some of the non-performers
Evans and McCarthy on 08:22 - Apr 7 with 1170 viewsReuser_is_God

Evans and McCarthy on 08:20 - Apr 7 by No9

The secret is in Mr Milne's message; the squad is very large and is much better on paper than the resuts show.

If that came from the top which is almost certain then the Owner doesn't think MM should have anymore money until he has reduced the squad size & removed some of the non-performers

That's not entirely unreasonable in fairness.

What Evans needs to realise is that we need to replace the non performers with good player which will cost more.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Evans and McCarthy on 08:32 - Apr 7 with 1133 viewsSteve_M

The idea that McCarthy wouldn't play better football with better players is rubbish, because when we've had a better, more in-form team we've played better than for much of the last 18 months - it's also obvious that Huws, Lawrence and McGoldrick have markedly improved the team this season both in terms of results and aesthetic appeal.

MM will always tend to be conservative and sit back more than fans would like, that might not change but it's easier to dictate the tempo of a match, and win more, with better players. That doesn't mean that a change wouldn't be good but the idea that that MM is happy to be crap and uncompetitive is unfair.

That we signed good players on free transfers four years ago is less relevant than the way other clubs are now spending money in this division. Players of that quality aren't as readily available on frees at the moment, a fact that seems to have passed Evans by as well. If we sell players for good money, the market rate, and don't reinvest in the team then it is likely that the team will get worse, especially as other players age.

Your points on Evans I agree with. The five point plan, until proven otherwise, will be little more than a soundbite. There is no coherent approach except to reduce non-playing staff costs to the lowest possible amount. The season ticket fiasco demonstrates a complete lack of care and interest.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Evans and McCarthy on 08:44 - Apr 7 with 1086 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Evans and McCarthy on 08:07 - Apr 7 by christiand

Certainly agree with most of the points you raise. ME's lack of a response is a concern. I, like you, wish he would come out and state what his intentions are for Ipswich - this causes a lot of my frustration, but I'd probably feel more content if he stipulated what his ambitions were. Currently, I just think the club make it up as they go a long and rarely give much consideration to long term planning. I doubt this is the case, but this is the impression that is given by the club.

With regards to MM, if he was given more money it would be the same style of play with more expensive players. He doesn't know how to play any other way, so until he goes there will be no change in our style. I'm not even convinced he will go come the summer! He's too loyal to certain selections, regardless of what MM thinks!

This season has been utterly shambolic both on and off the field and will have an impact on our immediate future. Changes need to be made, but I think we will revert to type- changes will be minimal in the summer, the club will stick its head in the sand in the hope that the club and supporter divide will blow over during the summer! It's quite depressing being a blue at the moment, but I live in hope that the wind of change will sweep through the club for the better for all concerned. After all, I think we deserve it for the way we have been treated certainly in recent history!!

Completely agree with what you've said.

In regards to our immediate future, imagine if Mick did go, what's the current attraction to this football club? As a manager:
- Would you be attracted to a club where the owner isn't giving you financial backing?
- The fans want the owner gone?
- Ipswich in general as a place?
- An average looking squad with a few promising players?
- An owner without a clear objective for this football club?
- Fans not wanting to renew their season ticket (though probably more down to Mick)
You know, it's problems before you start, and I'm sure every club has them, but a new manager would be walking into a bad situation before he's even started - and possibly the worst this club has been for years too. I'm not saying it's totally shambolic everywhere related to the Ipswich but there's little to say that can truly attract a manager who could potentially change our style and be attracted to start a new life in Ipswich.

I'd much rather another season like this where we stay in the Championship with Mick than take a gamble with a new manager, a manager probably lower down on the shortlist because the manager's higher up were not attracted to Ipswich for some of the reasons stated above.

Style doesn't determine results. Steven Taylor recently said that Ipswich are a 'proper football club' and around the place is something he's only experienced a couple of times when he was at Newcastle. That's down to Mick and his recruitment policy. We've got a group of lads who respect him and have formed relationships between one another to get the best out of each other, on and off the pitch. Would be a shame to lose that because Mick has gone.

I personally want him to stay - for as long as Evans is here anywhere else we will be in a bigger mess than what we are currently in.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Evans and McCarthy on 09:44 - Apr 7 with 1008 viewschristiand

Evans and McCarthy on 08:44 - Apr 7 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Completely agree with what you've said.

In regards to our immediate future, imagine if Mick did go, what's the current attraction to this football club? As a manager:
- Would you be attracted to a club where the owner isn't giving you financial backing?
- The fans want the owner gone?
- Ipswich in general as a place?
- An average looking squad with a few promising players?
- An owner without a clear objective for this football club?
- Fans not wanting to renew their season ticket (though probably more down to Mick)
You know, it's problems before you start, and I'm sure every club has them, but a new manager would be walking into a bad situation before he's even started - and possibly the worst this club has been for years too. I'm not saying it's totally shambolic everywhere related to the Ipswich but there's little to say that can truly attract a manager who could potentially change our style and be attracted to start a new life in Ipswich.

I'd much rather another season like this where we stay in the Championship with Mick than take a gamble with a new manager, a manager probably lower down on the shortlist because the manager's higher up were not attracted to Ipswich for some of the reasons stated above.

Style doesn't determine results. Steven Taylor recently said that Ipswich are a 'proper football club' and around the place is something he's only experienced a couple of times when he was at Newcastle. That's down to Mick and his recruitment policy. We've got a group of lads who respect him and have formed relationships between one another to get the best out of each other, on and off the pitch. Would be a shame to lose that because Mick has gone.

I personally want him to stay - for as long as Evans is here anywhere else we will be in a bigger mess than what we are currently in.

Good points raised Ipswichfan. If MM does stay, get a coach in to help him with the way the team sets up and styles of play. He'll change formation, but the style is still very much lumping it forward to a 5'11" striker - sideways and backward passing does not equate to free-flowing football. I was watching the FA Youth Cup semi final between Stoke and Chelsea, during the week, Stoke's coach was saying it's important that all the academy and youth sides adopt the same approach as the first team, so players can fit into systems which they know - which is logical. This is just my opinion, but we seem to have the complete opposite approach. All our younger sides play a different style to the first team. Where is the continuity?

In addition, I'd like the club to hold their hands up and admit they have made some 'horror-like' decisions this season and do their utmost to listen more to supporters views, within reason, particularly for off field issues. They'd get a little more respect back, from what's been lost so far by many of us.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Evans and McCarthy on 09:53 - Apr 7 with 990 viewsNo9

Evans and McCarthy on 08:22 - Apr 7 by Reuser_is_God

That's not entirely unreasonable in fairness.

What Evans needs to realise is that we need to replace the non performers with good player which will cost more.

I don't think we shall ever know what Mr Evans really thinks.
Mr Milne is his messenger
To be candid I have some sympathy with Mr Evans view, the squad is large. As we have seen there are players in the squad who peform better then MM's favourites. I feel if it were my money I would be asking MM to put out his best performing players rather than his favourites.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024