Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Third Year Dissertation Project 16:36 - May 3 with 424 viewsEuan

Football Research Project
I am involved in a Research Project in the Sociology Department at the University of Leicester. John Williams is my supervisor. I am trying to get responses from football supporters on three key questions. Please could you provide brief explanation behind your reasoning and explanation your answers as this would be much appreciated

1. Have you noticed a decline in overt racism at football grounds, perhaps due to factors like better policing and stewarding and the rise of social media where racism is more anonymous?

2. Do you think the anonymity offered on social media is contributing to spreading abuse? Do you have examples you can point to?
3. Do you believe social media companies do enough to combat racism connected to football online? Is the lack of regulation and policing in these new spheres part of the problem?

Thanks for your response. Your answers will be used anonymously to illustrate our study. Your reply will be taken to provide consent.
Third Year Dissertation Project on 17:12 - May 3 with 363 viewsVeggie

1. Definitely a big decrease in racism at grounds compared to late 80s / early 90s when I initially started going. Obviously this is a long time ago. There were audible shouts referring to black players in derogatory terms. Now I never hear this type of thing at football matches. In terms of social media, I don’t really see racism as such towards footballers, although I don’t really go looking for it. It may be there. Obviously social media wasn’t a thing in the 80s / 90s. I think there is a strong anti-racism feeling in most football fans these days (reflected in society) that means it is frowned upon and not deemed acceptable behaviour by 99.9% of fans. Obviously there will be the odd exception to the rule.

2. Again I can’t really think of any examples on social media of racial abuse against footballers that I have seen recently. I guess anonymity would be a factor in making racists feel more open to airing their views. However, I’m sure that perpetrators can be traced and dealt with by the law if they have transgressed. I’m sure there have been cases of this, although I can’t recall specific cases right now.

3. I can’t really comment as I don’t know enough about social media companies and their anti-racist policies.
[Post edited 3 May 2022 17:13]
Third Year Dissertation Project on 17:18 - May 3 with 345 viewsEuan

Third Year Dissertation Project on 17:12 - May 3 by Veggie

1. Definitely a big decrease in racism at grounds compared to late 80s / early 90s when I initially started going. Obviously this is a long time ago. There were audible shouts referring to black players in derogatory terms. Now I never hear this type of thing at football matches. In terms of social media, I don’t really see racism as such towards footballers, although I don’t really go looking for it. It may be there. Obviously social media wasn’t a thing in the 80s / 90s. I think there is a strong anti-racism feeling in most football fans these days (reflected in society) that means it is frowned upon and not deemed acceptable behaviour by 99.9% of fans. Obviously there will be the odd exception to the rule.

2. Again I can’t really think of any examples on social media of racial abuse against footballers that I have seen recently. I guess anonymity would be a factor in making racists feel more open to airing their views. However, I’m sure that perpetrators can be traced and dealt with by the law if they have transgressed. I’m sure there have been cases of this, although I can’t recall specific cases right now.

3. I can’t really comment as I don’t know enough about social media companies and their anti-racist policies.
[Post edited 3 May 2022 17:13]

Thanks mate, much appreciated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024