Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert - a great appointment and here's why... 11:31 - Oct 26 with 422 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

First of all, well done to Marcus Evans for moving quickly and making a change before it really was too late. Like Terry Butcher said, these next 3 games are absolutely massive for this football club.

I like the appointment of Lambert - an experienced manager with experience/knowledge of the Championship; that's one box ticked. A manager who demands respect from his players; another box ticked. A manager who will be sure to make a short term immediate effect; another box ticked.

People will have their opinions on Paul Hurst - I for one was never quite sold on his Shrewsbury side (except for when they played Charlton away in the play offs), considering the points Marcus Evans had highlighted he wanted his Ipswich to look like on the pitch - but it was more the style and score lines from the four games that I watched of Shrewsbury that never quite convinced me - all 4 were 1-0's (3 wins and 1 loss).

But Paul Lambert is a great appointment, and exactly what Ipswich need right now... here's why:

- I like his personality on the touchline- enthusiastic, passionate and vocal. That is exactly what we need from a manager right now when things aren't going our way on the pitch. The positivity is important to connect with the players, as well as fans.

- Stoke were an organised and committed team, just didn't have enough quality at the top end of the pitch when it mattered to stay up - perhaps until January, we'll see the similarities from his Stoke side and this Ipswich side until PL can bring in his target man centre forward which has been the catalyst for his success during the past, eg, Benteke at Aston Villa, Grant Holt at Norwich etc...

- He will regain the respect of the dressing room, a lot like Mick and TC, which was unclear on whether Hurst really had the respect of the dressing room.

- He will make an immediate short term fix. I'm not totally in agreement with the apparent 3 year deal on the table, but I'm a lot more confident about our chances of staying up now. The more winnable games on paper (Reading at home, Rotherham at home, Hull at home etc) should be won under a Lambert side, which will be the points needed to climb the league. It didn't happen under Hurst, that's the difference.

I really hope Lambert makes a stamp on this squad. Not all of Hurst's signings are deemed as write offs for me. I certainly believe a few of them, although many haven't been in this situation before in the Championship, certainly do have a winning/fighter mentality within them... Donacien with Accrington to come up from L2, Nolan/Nsiala at Shrewsbury to maintain top 6 in L1, but this mentality needs to instilled now from an experienced manager who will gain their respect.

Another short term issue I'd look at until January is that we have two strikers in Freddie Sears and Ellis Harrison who have both openly said they prefer to play in a front 2. I don't think Harrison is far off (correct me if I'm wrong) but certainly a partnership to work with after the international break until January. Both have the qualities to make this a threat going forward.

I'm sold on Paul Lambert - the Norwich connections mean nothing to me, he gave their lot something to shout about even to this day, so back him and believe in him to get Ipswich out of this mess.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024