Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The transformative power of the manager 12:58 - Nov 27 with 334 viewsParsley

Was just reading an article on the influence that managers have on team performance. I found it interesting because it's something I've been thinking a fair bit about recently. If we had a new manager how much difference could it actually make?

There are two main points that stood out to me in the article that I think can be related to our current situation. The first is a quote attributed to Giovanni Trapattoni that "a good manager can make a team 10 per cent better, a manager can make that same team 30 per cent worse". The other was that a clubs budget will dictate what the base platform is (which is why despite Man Utd's questionable managerial performances they are still one of the top teams).

I'd argue that Towns performance last season was our base level. With the players in our squad we'd struggle to be much lower in league 1 honestly (without too much disrespect to the rest of the league). That means that there is significant room for improvement, obviously. I can't think of a player who Lambert has improved, Downes maybe but I'd put this down to natural development rather than anything Lambert has coached. I'm no tactical expert but I don't think playing 4-3-3 and trying to keep the ball is anything groundbreaking so a manager with new ideas could get the best out of this squad. My concern is that there isn't a quick fix to turn the teams fortunes around this season.

Link to full article here: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea/tottenham-la
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024