Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Work 'til you drop (unless you're wealthy) 08:46 - Nov 1 with 678 viewsDJR

The following is why I think continuing to increase the State Pension age (notwithstanding increases in life expectancy stalling) is unfair because it disproportionately affects those with less means.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/01/early-retirement-in-england-inc
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 8:48]
Work 'til you drop (unless you're wealthy) on 09:30 - Nov 1 with 574 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Despite the red meat thrown around about a minority of wealthy pensioners, I have family on the state pension and it’s a miserly amount to live on. In the last couple of years a huge percentage has gone on such luxuries as not freezing to death at home in winter.

There’s also a big disparity between the pensions in the private sector and public sector (I say this as someone who’s other half works in the public sector). The relatively generous public sector pensions have allowed the papers to attack those workers who’ve striked over the past couple of years but it doesn’t need to be a race to the bottom.
Work 'til you drop (unless you're wealthy) on 10:24 - Nov 1 with 488 viewsDJR

Work 'til you drop (unless you're wealthy) on 09:30 - Nov 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Despite the red meat thrown around about a minority of wealthy pensioners, I have family on the state pension and it’s a miserly amount to live on. In the last couple of years a huge percentage has gone on such luxuries as not freezing to death at home in winter.

There’s also a big disparity between the pensions in the private sector and public sector (I say this as someone who’s other half works in the public sector). The relatively generous public sector pensions have allowed the papers to attack those workers who’ve striked over the past couple of years but it doesn’t need to be a race to the bottom.

My in-laws survive only on the State Pension and only get by because when things go wrong (installing a stair lift, repairs to the roof, repairing a washing machine), they get help from my wife and me.

The crazy thing is that they are only just above the limit for pension credit, so don't get any of the extra help that those on pension credit do.

As you say, a race to the bottom is not the way ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024