Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Hurst: Nothing Concrete on Knudsen and Garner Links
Thursday, 2nd Aug 2018 16:08

Town boss Paul Hurst has played down reports of interest in left-back Jonas Knudsen and striker Joe Garner from Stoke City and Bolton respectively.

Reports yesterday claimed the Potters were set to make a £1 million offer for the 25-year-old Danish international while Wanderers were stepping up their pursuit of Garner, 30.

“We seem to be doing alright on that front, don’t we?” Hurst said when quizzed on the links. “No, there’s certainly nothing concrete in any of those two to my knowledge.

“I certainly expect Jonas to be part of the matchday squad at the weekend and Joe, as we said, as it stands, I’m just waiting for him to get back out on the training pitch with us [following his knee injury].”

Are they players he wants to keep? “We’ll look at each situation on its own merits. If someone comes in and offers £10 million for any of our players then I think we’d have some serious dialogue and chances are they might be on their way. But it all depends at what level.

“I’ve clearly come in, I want to put my own stamp on the squad, I’ve said that from the start.

“I’ve already probably been able to do a little bit more business than I thought I would initially, I thought we’d be working simply on loans. But with Adam Webster leaving and there are other things which are ongoing which may open other avenues.

“I’m trying to get my ducks in line to just strengthen that squad and try and get the players that fit how I would like to play.”

Does he need to move players on in order to afford new recruits with Martyn Waghorn interesting a number of clubs? “I think we could do something but certainly there are a lot of other things in certain things happen, a bit like a domino effect I suppose, which is natural.

“And I’m not going to be the only manager that’s looking at these situations. Not many teams have done lots of business.

“I look at our first opponents, Blackburn, they’ve stuck with a squad that have won promotion last year, that will be in good spirits and looking forward to the opportunity of taking that into the Championship, having only added a couple of players.

“I think Tony Mowbray’s gone on record as saying he’s looking to bring players in. I think I read he was very unhappy with agents. They’re not all bad, but there are a lot of people in the job who don’t make things as easy as they should be.

“I’m sure I’m not on my own in this situation, trying to be as diplomatic and understanding with the situation as possible and not get too uptight about it.”

Is he happy with the window shutting earlier than had been the case next Thursday? “I am but there’s also the option of loans turning into permanent deals and there’s been some debate about that; is the deadline next Thursday really important?

“At the same time, you can only have so many loans in your matchday squad at least, so you’ve got to be careful on that front but I don’t know why you’d change that rule particularly. I’ll let the people higher up, more intelligent than I am decide on that.

“I think once we get September I might just throw my phone away for a little while. I say it’s my best friend but it’s a bit of a love-hate relationship I’ve got going on with it.”


Photo: TWTD



Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.



cromwellblue added 16:45 - Aug 2
Would want Knudsen to stay.

If Garner goes, not the worst thing.
0

therein61 added 17:41 - Aug 2
If someone offered £10 million for one of our players!!?? does this mean that underneath all rumours re other players that an offer has been made for the premiership class no/8.
1


You need to login in order to post your comments

Blogs 270 bloggers

Ipswich Town Polls

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2020