Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Double barrelling names when you get married... 14:15 - Jan 10 with 2618 viewsitfcjoe

...is this now a thing? Seem to note it happening relatively often now.

What happens if you already have a double barrelled name?

I personally wouldn't have been happy changing my name, and wouldn't have been happy if wife didn't take it - it's just normal surely?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:16 - Jan 10 with 1925 viewshype313

I have a couple of friends that have done this, don't get it personally. Also you can differentiate between the ones who genuinely have double barreled names and the ones that have done it by marriage....

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:18 - Jan 10 with 1919 viewsSwansea_Blue

Been happening for years.

What is it with this place today - double barrelled names, are white socks still fashionable? Either we've been inundated with academics or some of you have just got out of prison.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:23 - Jan 10 with 1894 viewsitfcjoe

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:16 - Jan 10 by hype313

I have a couple of friends that have done this, don't get it personally. Also you can differentiate between the ones who genuinely have double barreled names and the ones that have done it by marriage....

I know some where they both double barrel, or the wife double barrel or husband stays as is, or both just keep their names. Even one couple where they took the girls name as they preferred it.

It seems unnecessary to me

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:30 - Jan 10 with 1844 viewsgiant_stow

Its a nonsensical conceit which would logically end in people with hugely long hyphenated names. bollox.

Its silly appeasement of women and we know where that got us with Hitler right?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:33 - Jan 10 with 1829 viewsSwansea_Blue

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:30 - Jan 10 by giant_stow

Its a nonsensical conceit which would logically end in people with hugely long hyphenated names. bollox.

Its silly appeasement of women and we know where that got us with Hitler right?

Not in your neck of the woods though. That's the advantage of all having the same family name

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:33 - Jan 10 with 1821 viewsJ2BLUE

My mate sent me a screenshot of his Facebook where a couple had decided to start a new family name using a mixture of both their current surnames. They did a lengthy cringeworthy and sickening post on why they had done it. I'd laugh if their kids think it's a good idea and decide to do the same. That'd be a short lived family name.

Back on topic I agree with you 100%.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:37 - Jan 10 with 1783 viewsgiant_stow

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:33 - Jan 10 by Swansea_Blue

Not in your neck of the woods though. That's the advantage of all having the same family name

brute.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:40 - Jan 10 with 1750 viewsKeno

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:37 - Jan 10 by giant_stow

brute.

while they are a lovely couple my friends Anna and Brad shouldn't have dine this

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:42 - Jan 10 with 1723 viewsBluebell

Another Americanism.

We have several American friends and relatives and their facebook pages are full of double barrelled surnames.

One is Thompson-Tomkins which I always chuckle at.
Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:42 - Jan 10 with 1723 viewsSuperfrans

We didn't double barrel our names, but my kids both have my wife's maiden name as their last middle name. That works for my wife and I was perfectly happy with that.

Personally, I wasn't much bothered which surname my kids took, or whether my wife kept her maiden name. It seems a fairly old fashioned thing to assume both would take my surname, in today's society. But I'm not a fan of creating hyphenated names as surnames. Just a personal thing.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:44 - Jan 10 with 1696 viewsSuperfrans

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:42 - Jan 10 by Bluebell

Another Americanism.

We have several American friends and relatives and their facebook pages are full of double barrelled surnames.

The alternative is that you marry someone with the same surname, as my friend did a couple of years ago. Not related, of course.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:45 - Jan 10 with 1684 viewsitfcjoe

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:42 - Jan 10 by Superfrans

We didn't double barrel our names, but my kids both have my wife's maiden name as their last middle name. That works for my wife and I was perfectly happy with that.

Personally, I wasn't much bothered which surname my kids took, or whether my wife kept her maiden name. It seems a fairly old fashioned thing to assume both would take my surname, in today's society. But I'm not a fan of creating hyphenated names as surnames. Just a personal thing.

I'd have been happy with that, it's relatively common too as used to have to take security data at an old job and more often that you'd think (one of) the middle name(s) and mothers maiden name matched up.

I think, like when Mick has gone from strong minded to stubborn - or having consistency in selection to playing his favourites that something being 'traditional' and 'old fashioned' are just 2 sides of the same coin but one is seen as bad and the other good.

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:48 - Jan 10 with 1660 viewsMJallday

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:44 - Jan 10 by Superfrans

The alternative is that you marry someone with the same surname, as my friend did a couple of years ago. Not related, of course.

or you end up with a totally stupid name like this

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 15:11 - Jan 10 with 1586 viewsfactual_blue

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:42 - Jan 10 by Superfrans

I'd agree with that. My wife has her grandmother's surname as a middle name. That sort of thing used to be quite common. I've got an ancestor back in the early 18th century called Locking Brocklebank. 'Locking' was his mother's maiden name. Makes him sound like a heartless mill owner.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:07 - Jan 10 with 1502 viewsEireannach_gorm

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 15:11 - Jan 10 by factual_blue

I'd agree with that. My wife has her grandmother's surname as a middle name. That sort of thing used to be quite common. I've got an ancestor back in the early 18th century called Locking Brocklebank. 'Locking' was his mother's maiden name. Makes him sound like a heartless mill owner.

lots of nations use son of/ daughter of e.g. Iceland: son/dóttir, Ireland: mac/ní

Which makes a bit of sense.

The double barrelling will get REALLY funny when second generation get married i.e. quadruple barrelling. Then Portugal will have some competition for name length.
Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:20 - Jan 10 with 1477 viewsGuthrum

Double-barrelling (outside the titled aristocracy - who often did it for inheritance reasons) became popular in the 1920s.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:25 - Jan 10 with 1454 viewsCotty

It's the 21st Century and women shouldn't have to lose their family identity if they don't want to. I didn't mind what Mrs C did, she took my name, but I wouldn't have been bothered if she didn't. It's her name after all.
Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:35 - Jan 10 with 1420 viewsitfcjoe

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:25 - Jan 10 by Cotty

It's the 21st Century and women shouldn't have to lose their family identity if they don't want to. I didn't mind what Mrs C did, she took my name, but I wouldn't have been bothered if she didn't. It's her name after all.

What about for Cotty Jr?
l

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:37 - Jan 10 with 1400 viewsCotty

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:35 - Jan 10 by itfcjoe

What about for Cotty Jr?
l

Well that's why people give their children a double-barrell I guess. It wasn't for us, often sounds a bit poncy, but I can completely see why people want to do it.
Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:39 - Jan 10 with 1392 viewsgiant_stow

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:37 - Jan 10 by Cotty

Well that's why people give their children a double-barrell I guess. It wasn't for us, often sounds a bit poncy, but I can completely see why people want to do it.

so a future kid gets your surname, you possibly sexist pig?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:39 - Jan 10 with 1393 viewsitfcjoe

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:37 - Jan 10 by Cotty

I can see why they want to, just feel the practicality of actually doing it doesn't really work.

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:40 - Jan 10 with 1381 viewsCotty

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:39 - Jan 10 by itfcjoe

I can see why they want to, just feel the practicality of actually doing it doesn't really work.

To be honest I agree. But I just wanted to point out that expecting your wife to lose her name just because she doesn't have a willy isn't entirely reasonable these days!
[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 16:41]
Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:41 - Jan 10 with 1367 viewschevblue

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 14:42 - Jan 10 by Bluebell

Another Americanism.

Having taken an American bride and having no end of US in laws - and friends - I've found exactly the opposite to be the case. Not a hyphen or double barrel to be found anywhere!

However, the tradition of the eldest son taking his fathers first name is quite prevalent. Robert X Senior, Robert X Junior, Robert X The 3rd, Robert X The 4th and so on..... who then have to be given shortened names to avoid confusion at family gatherings. Bob, Bobby, Rob, Robbie .... all very silly IMHO.

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:43 - Jan 10 with 1356 viewsJ2BLUE

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 16:41 - Jan 10 by chevblue

Having taken an American bride and having no end of US in laws - and friends - I've found exactly the opposite to be the case. Not a hyphen or double barrel to be found anywhere!

However, the tradition of the eldest son taking his fathers first name is quite prevalent. Robert X Senior, Robert X Junior, Robert X The 3rd, Robert X The 4th and so on..... who then have to be given shortened names to avoid confusion at family gatherings. Bob, Bobby, Rob, Robbie .... all very silly IMHO.

I bloody hate that, which is a shame as I have the best first name in the English language.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Double barrelling names when you get married... on 17:28 - Jan 10 with 1276 viewsGeoffSentence

Thought about double barrelling my name when I got married, but Geoff Sentence is much snappier than Geoff Sentence-Sentence.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024