Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The tide is turning 10:39 - Jan 16 with 2664 viewsGlasgowBlue

Days after Carney forecasts that he will upgrade the UK' growth forecasts for this year and that Brexit will hit the EU harder financially than it does the UK, we have the EU negotiator taking about a 'special' deal over access to City post-Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/13/eu-negotiator-wants-special-dea

And we will have a free trade deal with the US signed as soon as we leave the EU.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The tide is turning on 11:32 - Jan 16 with 756 viewscruncher

The tide is turning on 11:26 - Jan 16 by BlueBadger

It's fair to say that Mays cabinet are all C n u t s..

If you and few others on here stood in her cabinet i would totally agree with ya.
The tide is turning on 11:32 - Jan 16 with 750 viewsdryas

The tide is turning on 10:51 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

Reports say that the Trump team is already working on the outlines of a US / UK trade deal and they want the deal to be pencilled in before the UK leaves the EU, even though the UK cannot formally sign it until it has left.

It's good to see positive noises coming from both American and the EU. For all their bluster, the EU knows that the UK is their single largest export market once we have left and that the city of London is vital for economic stability in the continent.

I note already that the naysayers on here are finding something negative to read into these developments. It's as if they have a fear of the outside world and want to live in their comfortable bubble.

What exactly do you see us selling to them?
The tide is turning on 11:43 - Jan 16 with 721 viewsBlueBadger

The tide is turning on 11:32 - Jan 16 by cruncher

If you and few others on here stood in her cabinet i would totally agree with ya.

You don't think that I'm a legendary king already?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 11:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The tide is turning on 11:58 - Jan 16 with 695 viewsGlasgowBlue

The tide is turning on 11:10 - Jan 16 by Keno

if you wish to call the head of their UK IT department a pleb you are welcome, but i am only relay what he told me on Thursday

Is the tide turing or is Teresa May trying to be Canute?

Time will tell and it is still very early

I said us plebs. Me and others on TWTD.

I'm sure he did tell you the job losses were Brexit related. Jamie Oliver has been telling people his restaurants closures are Brexit related. Nobody fell for his guff either.

Commerzbank have cut 9,600 jobs. As Bloomberg reported; The shares fell 1.6 percent to 5.90 euros at 2:44 p.m. in Frankfurt, erasing earlier gains. The bank has lost about 39 percent of its market value this year. Deutsche Bank, which houses Europe’s largest investment bank, has dropped about 52 percent in 2016.

They have also suspended dividends.

Iron Lion Zion

The tide is turning on 11:59 - Jan 16 with 693 viewsGlasgowBlue

The tide is turning on 11:23 - Jan 16 by dryas

Just move to Jaywick and have done with it.

Racist.

Iron Lion Zion

The tide is turning on 12:01 - Jan 16 with 684 viewsKeno

The tide is turning on 11:58 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

I said us plebs. Me and others on TWTD.

I'm sure he did tell you the job losses were Brexit related. Jamie Oliver has been telling people his restaurants closures are Brexit related. Nobody fell for his guff either.

Commerzbank have cut 9,600 jobs. As Bloomberg reported; The shares fell 1.6 percent to 5.90 euros at 2:44 p.m. in Frankfurt, erasing earlier gains. The bank has lost about 39 percent of its market value this year. Deutsche Bank, which houses Europe’s largest investment bank, has dropped about 52 percent in 2016.

They have also suspended dividends.

haha!!

Fair enough.

There are some serious structural issues with several german banks and like you I think the reasons for the retrenchment from London are being 'hidden' by Brexit.

I still think its far to early to say whether Brexit is good or bad and ultimately it may get dwarfed by what happens in the US

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The tide is turning on 12:01 - Jan 16 with 686 viewsGuthrum

So both sides might end up damaged and parts of the City may continue to do well.

I know the EU doesn't want to put work in and then have us back away from an exit (thus demanding Article 50 to be invoked before talking), but the sooner we sit down and start hammering out some of these deals and arrangements, the better. Then at least we can get some real idea of what form they'll take, as opposed to rhetoric and supposition.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The tide is turning on 12:05 - Jan 16 with 672 viewsJ2BLUE

The tide is turning on 10:58 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

I'll have a cheeky tenner with you that it is signed within six months of us exiting the EU.

Choose your charity. Mine is Refugee Action.

We may have bitten off more than we can chew here. Without the EU £10 might be our entire GDP.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

The tide is turning on 12:11 - Jan 16 with 663 viewsitfcjoe

The tide is turning on 12:01 - Jan 16 by Keno

haha!!

Fair enough.

There are some serious structural issues with several german banks and like you I think the reasons for the retrenchment from London are being 'hidden' by Brexit.

I still think its far to early to say whether Brexit is good or bad and ultimately it may get dwarfed by what happens in the US

One of my mates voted for Brexit, who works for a bank in the City and was told that they shouldn't be voting for Brexit as it will put jobs at risk.

His attitude was if it isn't that it will be something else as there has been a number of restructures over the years which always involve job cuts.

As soon as they can find a cheaper way to do things they will, and will use any excuse or reason.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The tide is turning on 12:15 - Jan 16 with 648 viewsJ2BLUE

The tide is turning on 12:11 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

One of my mates voted for Brexit, who works for a bank in the City and was told that they shouldn't be voting for Brexit as it will put jobs at risk.

His attitude was if it isn't that it will be something else as there has been a number of restructures over the years which always involve job cuts.

As soon as they can find a cheaper way to do things they will, and will use any excuse or reason.

Did he tell them he voted remain?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The tide is turning on 12:16 - Jan 16 with 645 viewsitfcjoe

The tide is turning on 12:15 - Jan 16 by J2BLUE

Did he tell them he voted remain?

I doubt he told them anything!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The tide is turning on 12:17 - Jan 16 with 640 viewsGuthrum

The tide is turning on 12:11 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

People, especially if skilled, are almost always the most expensive part of any business. Therefore the area where the easiest and largest savings can be made (just shove the extra work, if any, onto the remaining employees).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The tide is turning on 12:31 - Jan 16 with 597 viewseireblue

The tide is turning on 10:51 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

Reports say that the Trump team is already working on the outlines of a US / UK trade deal and they want the deal to be pencilled in before the UK leaves the EU, even though the UK cannot formally sign it until it has left.

It's good to see positive noises coming from both American and the EU. For all their bluster, the EU knows that the UK is their single largest export market once we have left and that the city of London is vital for economic stability in the continent.

I note already that the naysayers on here are finding something negative to read into these developments. It's as if they have a fear of the outside world and want to live in their comfortable bubble.

Personally I feel phrases like "...It's as if they have a fear of the outside world and want to live in their comfortable bubble." are similar to the name calling of Brexiters, by remainers.

For some people, the hope is that Europe will do well, and the thought was, the best way to do that is through co-operation. Hopefully the EU will continue, and demonstrate how countries that previously were repeatedly at war can come together for the betterment of all their citizens.

I think there is a danger that some comments may start to play to the UKIP side of the debate.

E.g. What we want is a deal that is good for all parties. So the EU need to get a win, if we want a win/win deal.
UKIP types will use this as a way to state the UK is compromising to the EU. Farage has stated that we should just simply leave now without triggering article 50.

Also, we haven't left yet.

So any post-Brexit vote news to be considered a result of Brexit, must necessarily have been different if the vote went the other way.

For instance the news about the tech sector wasn't "look lots of tech companies are coming to the UK because of Brexit", the news was really, "tech companies are sticking to their planed expansion in the UK, even post Brexit vote"

Therefore some perceived gains are neutral in terms of assessing the impact of Brexit.

Be interesting to see what a US UK trade deal ends up as. Will we have to accept what some feared from TTIP, US goods of a "lower standard" than that of EU.
Will the UK still be subsidising its farmers. Will our subsidies need to match US subsidies, in order for free trade to occur.

For instance, Trump has made mention of the disparity in US car sales to the EU, vs EU to the US.

So if the UK has a free trade deal with the US, maybe a smart EU car manufacturer could set up in the UK, in order to avoid EU-to-US tariffs.

Hmmm, maybe some simplistic examples, but I think things could be quite complex.

Maybe we should wait a few years yet, and hope that all fellow citizens do well out of it all.
The tide is turning on 12:41 - Jan 16 with 567 viewsEireannach_gorm

The tide is turning on 10:58 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

I'll have a cheeky tenner with you that it is signed within six months of us exiting the EU.

Choose your charity. Mine is Refugee Action.

Would that be before or after the wall is built?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024