Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... 23:23 - Jan 17 with 1758 viewsHarryfromBath

I watched tonight's game with MrsHfromB and my Italian (Napoli supporting) mate Vince. I have been obstinately loyal to Mick partly with the Irish connection and also after he built such a great first team which had our play-off run.

I have optimistically tried to see this as a transitional season as Mick builds a second team but getting feedback from people less intensely involved our world is no bad thing. Vince had seen our Bristol City defeat early in Mick's reign and was confident from his Italian perspective that Mick would straighten us out at the time.

Midway through the first half Vince picked up on the lack of intensity from our players. More worrying, he highlighted the futility of playing the ball out on the deck when there was such wide space between the back three and midfield three. This allowed Lincoln to use the gaps to exploit turnovers in possession in our half.

A combination of our lacklustre play and dysfunctional formation allowed Lincoln to control the game. There were two men on every Town player in possession but Vince constantly highlighted our ineffective midfield putting our defence under pressure and leaving the strikers isolated, 'Every Ipswich player is playing on their own while Lincoln are more coordinated.'

As the game wore on, we were the non-league side hoping that Lawrence might come up with something whereas Rhead (in Vince's words, 'My good God, no Italian side would even look at him' - let's just put it down to their different philosophy) ran the show for Lincoln and gave our defence a night to forget.

'They have no personality, mate, he has got to go' were Vince's words as we said our goodbyes. He felt that Mick had taken the team as far as he could and we were out of ideas. The pattern of the game was against us but this was because we had no balance as a side, in complete contrast to Lincoln.

Mrs HfromB puts up with hours of drivel from me rabbiting on about the team but her insights are always brief and often lethal. "It felt like Mick didn't believe in the team he put out. He was like a kind uncle and there was no desire or energy from the Ipswich players. It was as if some of them were going through the motions and didn't want to be there."

You will forgive me desperately wanting Mick to succeed and having stuck with him but tonight hurts. I will spare everyone the tirade but suffice to say that I want footy to be a source of happiness and it just feels nothing like that right now.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 23:30 - Jan 17 with 1646 viewsgtsb1966

We know you are a literary genius on this board Harry but honestly mate "Vince thought we were shoite" would've been OK
Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 23:47 - Jan 17 with 1546 viewshoppy

"Sh1t just got serious", I think is the correct term here.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 23:52 - Jan 17 with 1500 viewsGuthrum

Hear hear, Harry.

Almost makes it worse that he'd to some extent turned things around in the League. Then comes a performance like that, some of the players really looking like they didn't know what to do with themselves.

Had they got almost complacent and were relying on Lawrence to pull out a wonder-goal or two and do the work for them?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 23:58 - Jan 17 with 1431 viewshoppy

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 23:52 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

Hear hear, Harry.

Almost makes it worse that he'd to some extent turned things around in the League. Then comes a performance like that, some of the players really looking like they didn't know what to do with themselves.

Had they got almost complacent and were relying on Lawrence to pull out a wonder-goal or two and do the work for them?

"Looking like"?

They didn't,full stop.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 00:00 - Jan 18 with 1395 viewsRyorry

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 23:58 - Jan 17 by hoppy

"Looking like"?

They didn't,full stop.

Another of the horrendous things for me about tonight is the thought that Roy Keane might have been watching, whilst laughing his socks off :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 00:07 - Jan 18 with 1352 viewscatch74

Et tu Harry, then die MM.

Mick takes pleasure in spending no money and getting results against people who have. What is inexcusable is being outplayed for 180 minutes by non league opposition. No fluke, two games and played off the park.

The outcome will surely either be a flurry of transfer activity to appease the fans or none in the lead up to MM's departure.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 00:12 - Jan 18 with 1298 viewsLankHenners

Your last paragraph sums it all up for me. It just isn't very fun at the moment. I haven't defended tonight but on another thread I tried to reason (almost to myself as much as to anyone else) that this shouldn't have been a surprise tonight considering our previous cup efforts (term used incredibly loosely).

If we continue to play well in the league like we have done recently then there may be some small occasional joy left in this season. It was truly embarrassing tonight but it shouldn't be used as a stick on its own to beat Mick intensely with. If we were having a better season the criticism would be softer tonight. Let's see if this has affected us in the games coming up in the near future.

I do fear he may have come to his natural end at the end of the season, though.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Watching Tonight's Game With Friends... on 01:01 - Jan 18 with 1145 viewsStNeotsBlue

I'm just home from Lincoln and now watching the game again. I spent most of the first half in a rage at our ineptitude, the second half I was more sanguine as I'd accepted our fate. Some of the stuff from our lads tonight was unacceptable.

Lawrence and occasionally Emmanuel offered a threat. Best wasn't the best, Digby looked out of his depth, Berra had a shocking 1st half but decent 2nd, Skuse and Douglas as a midfield combination makes my head hurt; created nothing and when we're playing with what is effectively a back 5 against Lincoln, I honestly don't know what the plan is.

The amount of times we gave the ball away ,regardless of whether we were under any pressure was scandalous, Sunday football at best. Best, Skuse, Douglas, Knudsen and Digby were passengers tonight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024