Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jury Duty 12:05 - Jan 25 with 6543 viewsunbelievablue

Who on here has been summoned? If so, to what extent could you legally discuss your experiences? I am intrigued.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Jury Duty on 16:51 - Jan 25 with 1458 viewsGogs

I got called up about 15-20 years ago. We had one 'date rape' trial where the defendant was found not guilty, just through insufficient evidence. Alleged victim and alleged perpetrator both came across as liars, bloke claimed he'd drink 30 pints of Stella that day, and the woman just couldn't give a straight answer to any question put to her, if anything she came across as if her flatmate put her up to taking it to court. It all felt like it should never have got to a court case to me.
The other case was a dangerous driving case where a young lad mounted the pavement near some other kids to scare them off as they'd been bullying him and his kid brother, he was found guilty despite not hitting anything or anybody, solely on the evidence from an eye-witness who happened to be an off-duty traffic cop.
As far as I know I could be called up again, I think it's the case that you can be excused if you've sat on a jury in a particularly harrowing case.
Jury Duty on 19:07 - Jan 25 with 1378 viewsnorth_stand77

I have given evidence in Crown Court several times and found it very interesting. I have never been on a jury although one of my sons has. He was the youngest juror at 21 on a high profile murder. I would say that he became a 'man' over the few weeks he was there and his sense of responsibility has become part of his character now.

I would love to be asked to do it
Jury Duty on 19:41 - Jan 25 with 1347 viewsDolly2.0

I'd love to do it but am not allowed due to having been treated for mental health issues in the past.

I can see why they have that rule to an extent but it's a bit of a sweeping generalisation to say that anyone who's had mental health issues is unfit to be a juror.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Jury Duty on 20:11 - Jan 25 with 1327 viewsBinner

Jury Duty on 19:41 - Jan 25 by Dolly2.0

I'd love to do it but am not allowed due to having been treated for mental health issues in the past.

I can see why they have that rule to an extent but it's a bit of a sweeping generalisation to say that anyone who's had mental health issues is unfit to be a juror.

Yet a man with obvious mental health issues is not barred from being president of America...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Jury Duty on 20:21 - Jan 25 with 1306 viewsDubtractor

Never done jury duty, but have been in a lineup twice.

Back in the 90s when I had long hair (when tied back looked like a geezer) that was obviously the prevailing look for Ipswich's criminal class so was asked a few times to come and stand in a line for a tenner.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jury Duty on 20:33 - Jan 25 with 1279 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jury Duty on 12:36 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I think you'll prob be a good juror when all's said and done. At least you've got a brain & are responsible - occasionally ;)

I second that Ryorry. For all the day-to-day Brexit grief on here, GB is a valuable part of the TWTD family and most definitely has a brain.

Shame he doesn't use it though

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jury Duty on 20:34 - Jan 25 with 1273 viewsSwansea_Blue

Was called once but told them to clear off as I was overseas on a work trip. And they did, so that was an unexpected result.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jury Duty on 20:42 - Jan 25 with 1243 viewsally86

I've been called up twice and sat on 3 juries - I was madam chairwoman on one and had to deliver the verdict, which was a bit intimidating.
Login to get fewer ads

Jury Duty on 22:12 - Jan 25 with 1168 viewsRadlett_blue

They have actually weakened that exclusion.

http://www.mentalhealthlaw.co.uk/Jury_service

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jury Duty on 22:32 - Jan 25 with 1138 viewsRyorry

Wow, don't they bother to distinguish between, eg, mild depression, and severe schizophrenia or paranoia? I can see why the last two might be a problem, but the first would cover a huge proportion of the ault population, and rule out large numbers of v. suitable people.

Edit - sorry - only saw Radlett's post after posting mine here.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2017 22:34]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Jury Duty on 22:37 - Jan 25 with 1121 viewsSarge

Jury Duty on 22:12 - Jan 25 by Radlett_blue

They have actually weakened that exclusion.

http://www.mentalhealthlaw.co.uk/Jury_service

Ah bum, I've got an appointment booked for a couple of weeks time with my university counsellors for depression so whilst I don't expect to be called up again that could've be useful just in case!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024