Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? 13:43 - Feb 18 with 27873 viewsTractorWood

I'll start:

1. No keypad tones are allowed on phones in any public situation. £500 fine
2. Physical cash to be phased out.
3. Nationwide education on how to use the word done.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 13:44]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:09 - Feb 22 with 1004 viewstaximan

on 07:23 - Feb 22 by _

great stuff

so the 4k i've saved up for my week at the cheltenham festival, is now being redirected into the hands of a drug dealer
heroin here i come

once i'm skint its all free

makes perfect sense
If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:10 - Feb 22 with 1003 viewsTLA

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 07:51 - Feb 22 by GlasgowBlue

Methadone is prescribed to addicts to help wean them off smack. The levels are monitored and the dosage reduced over time.

Addicts have to attend counselling and change their lifestyle habnits.

Completely different to making heroine available freely by the NHS. Where is the incentive to give it up?

This is an interesting discussion.

I used to work with some people who used heroin and when they were on programmes involving methadone, subutex etc., they said that for serious addiction, these substitutes had a very short term effect. In fact, some would sell them to fund a 'real' hit. A few said that being given heroin as part of a reduction and counselling programme would have been the most effective way of managing, and maybe overcoming, the addiction.

That's not my opinion but something I heard from people with personal experience.
on 08:12 - Feb 22 with 999 views_

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:09 - Feb 22 by taximan

great stuff

so the 4k i've saved up for my week at the cheltenham festival, is now being redirected into the hands of a drug dealer
heroin here i come

makes perfect sense

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:23 - Feb 22 with 981 viewsgreyhound

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 21:00 - Feb 21 by J2BLUE

And then it became legendary?

Quite the opposite haha
If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:23 - Feb 22 with 979 viewstaximan

on 08:12 - Feb 22 by _

thanks

i do believe that the legal gambling age should be raised to 21
If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:41 - Feb 22 with 962 viewsitfcjoe

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:23 - Feb 22 by taximan

thanks

i do believe that the legal gambling age should be raised to 21

I just think online gambling should be massively cut down and restricted.

It's very different handing cash over to a bookie for a bet, looking them in the eye, compared to on your phone, moving money from bank account to betting account, putting it on something, even if you win it doesn't feel like real money unless it is something worth withdrawing.

As with other vices, like booze, if you want to do them they are made harder by governments and soceities - licensing laws, taxes, etc but gambling is made easier and easier and more accessible.

When you are at Cheltenham you could probably get better odds sat on your @rse on your phone than you will walking round the bookies which is the fun of it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 08:49 - Feb 22 with 954 views_

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:41 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

It's very different handing cash over to a bookie for a bet, looking them in the eye, compared to on your phone, moving money from bank account to betting account, putting it on something, even if you win it doesn't feel like real money unless it is something worth withdrawing.

As with other vices, like booze, if you want to do them they are made harder by governments and soceities - licensing laws, taxes, etc but gambling is made easier and easier and more accessible.

When you are at Cheltenham you could probably get better odds sat on your @rse on your phone than you will walking round the bookies which is the fun of it.

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:29 - Feb 22 with 926 viewstaximan

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:41 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

on course books are fairly rubbish, town centre betting shops offer much better value, especially if paddy power makes an appearance in his shop on the monday evening, he offers crazy prices on a few races.

i much prefer cash betting to online, it feels real
Login to get fewer ads

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:37 - Feb 22 with 915 viewsTLA

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:29 - Feb 22 by taximan

on course books are fairly rubbish, town centre betting shops offer much better value, especially if paddy power makes an appearance in his shop on the monday evening, he offers crazy prices on a few races.

It's interesting how betting has changed with the internet. I used to go for a walk, get a paper, have a pint and pick out games to bet on before popping into the bookies and filling in a coupon. It was a real Saturday lunchtime ritual.

Now I usually use Bet365 for my weekly long-odds fiver bet - it's nowhere near as good, now I think about it. I also lose a bit of exercise and social interaction - it might be time to make an effort to go back to the old fashioned way!
If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:42 - Feb 22 with 914 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:37 - Feb 22 by TLA

It's interesting how betting has changed with the internet. I used to go for a walk, get a paper, have a pint and pick out games to bet on before popping into the bookies and filling in a coupon. It was a real Saturday lunchtime ritual.

Now I usually use Bet365 for my weekly long-odds fiver bet - it's nowhere near as good, now I think about it. I also lose a bit of exercise and social interaction - it might be time to make an effort to go back to the old fashioned way!

"Modern life is rubbish"

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:01 - Feb 22 with 897 viewsTLA

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:42 - Feb 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

"Modern life is rubbish"

I guess the point is that it can be less stimulating, if we let it!

However, without some of the developments of modern life, we wouldn't have the chance to get to know each other on here!
If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:06 - Feb 22 with 895 viewsitfcjoe

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 09:29 - Feb 22 by taximan

And I think that is why many people get into trouble with it - because it doesn't feel real.

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:18 - Feb 22 with 881 viewsRyorry

"I just think online gambling should be massively cut down and restricted. "

Which would discriminate against the vast majority who can handle it and are responsible.

And stop people like me gambling altogether, as my nearest bookie's shop is 12 miles away, and if I used telephone betting I'd be forced to spend £10 a throw when I only want/can afford to bet £2.

In reply to your earlier point in yr previous reply to me btw, you'd be surprised at how many people do £2 bets online; I see them a lot on the racing forums. Plus there's the macho element - I think how a lot of people actually bet, compared to what they say they will, is sometimes v. different! (can work the other way of course).
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 10:21]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:20 - Feb 22 with 878 viewsitfcjoe

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:18 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

"I just think online gambling should be massively cut down and restricted. "

Which would discriminate against the vast majority who can handle it and are responsible.

And stop people like me gambling altogether, as my nearest bookie's shop is 12 miles away, and if I used telephone betting I'd be forced to spend £10 a throw when I only want/can afford to bet £2.

In reply to your earlier point in yr previous reply to me btw, you'd be surprised at how many people do £2 bets online; I see them a lot on the racing forums. Plus there's the macho element - I think how a lot of people actually bet, compared to what they say they will, is sometimes v. different! (can work the other way of course).
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 10:21]

You can't make an omelette without breaking any eggs.

Most people aren't problem drinkers but they still tax it heavily, and have licencing laws which restrict the vast majority which can handle it.

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:20 - Feb 22 with 877 viewsusm

When someone looks straight at you, then walks right in front of you before saying "I'm sorry". I'd make it compulsory to punch them in the face.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:24 - Feb 22 with 874 viewsRyorry

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:20 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

Most people aren't problem drinkers but they still tax it heavily, and have licencing laws which restrict the vast majority which can handle it.

So you'd knock out an entire racing forum of 100 people who've been getting pleasure from the skill of analysing racing & having a few controlled bets every week for 10, 25, 50 years some of them. One disabled guy who's housebound says it's the only thing he has to look forward to every day.
Well done with your breaking of eggs (aka people).

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:27 - Feb 22 with 868 viewsRyorry

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 08:09 - Feb 22 by taximan

great stuff

heroin here i come

makes perfect sense

I note that you and Benters aren't downvoting everybody who's discussing this, and the drugs issue, v. serious topics. No consistency there.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 10:38]

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:00 - Feb 22 with 845 viewsJ2BLUE

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:24 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

So you'd knock out an entire racing forum of 100 people who've been getting pleasure from the skill of analysing racing & having a few controlled bets every week for 10, 25, 50 years some of them. One disabled guy who's housebound says it's the only thing he has to look forward to every day.

I admire you still bothering to be honest. I typed a reply to Joe and then thought I can't be bothered and deleted it.

Luckily for us gambling is not going anywhere. We all appreciate that some people have a problem and i'm sure we would support any measures to help people. My card idea was based on people not being able to switch machines to carry on playing. Near me there are three bookies within a 3 minute walk. That's 12x £50 if my idea was brought in without the card. I also said £50 because given an hour cooling off period most people would accept it and walk away. When these machines take debit cards and have no loss limits they are lethal. All we can do is support people when they try to tackle the actual issues around gambling and ignore the hysteria.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:03 - Feb 22 with 835 viewsitfcjoe

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:24 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

Yes, because all it is doing is making gambling more difficult to do, not banning it.

There isn't a law that can be passed to do with any vice that doesn't affect those that do it responsibly.

EDIT - How about a compromise where physical money has to be paid into an online account? i.e. you take your money to the bookies to have in an account and then can do it online?
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 11:04]

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:08 - Feb 22 with 829 viewsLord_Lucan

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:00 - Feb 22 by J2BLUE

I admire you still bothering to be honest. I typed a reply to Joe and then thought I can't be bothered and deleted it.

Luckily for us gambling is not going anywhere. We all appreciate that some people have a problem and i'm sure we would support any measures to help people. My card idea was based on people not being able to switch machines to carry on playing. Near me there are three bookies within a 3 minute walk. That's 12x £50 if my idea was brought in without the card. I also said £50 because given an hour cooling off period most people would accept it and walk away. When these machines take debit cards and have no loss limits they are lethal. All we can do is support people when they try to tackle the actual issues around gambling and ignore the hysteria.

Haven't really read this thread but I think gambling is a curse. I don't think it should be banned but it should be more restricted.

The betting adverts which seem to be played on TV every 5 mins is abhorrent. I feel sorry for people with a gambling problem.

I read recently why there are so many betting shops of the same company so close to each other. From what I understand a betting shop can only have three fruit machines per store and this is where they make most of their money. The solution? Open three shops in the same street.

Utterly immoral.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:28 - Feb 22 with 816 viewsRyorry

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:00 - Feb 22 by J2BLUE

I know. I notice none of them have replied to my point about the knowledge, skill and experience of analysing horse-racing before placing a bet, being little different from gambling on the stock exchange for people like myself and members of my forum (which view is endorsed by Steve Jones, a former real life "proper" accountant who now makes his living from gambling on racing - http://www.cdsystems.uk.com/ ).

Yet on this forum previously, there are threads which have actually congratulated/elevated to celebrity status, people taking illegal drugs!!

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:36 - Feb 22 with 806 viewsBenters

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:27 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

I note that you and Benters aren't downvoting everybody who's discussing this, and the drugs issue, v. serious topics. No consistency there.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2017 10:38]

Im finding it a good read to be honest deary..

Heroin,gambling,ales what ever floats your boat.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:37 - Feb 22 with 804 viewsBenters

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 10:20 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

No but J2 would give it a good go on the egg front .

Gentlybentley

on 11:40 - Feb 22 with 796 views_

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:28 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

I know. I notice none of them have replied to my point about the knowledge, skill and experience of analysing horse-racing before placing a bet, being little different from gambling on the stock exchange for people like myself and members of my forum (which view is endorsed by Steve Jones, a former real life "proper" accountant who now makes his living from gambling on racing - http://www.cdsystems.uk.com/ ).

Yet on this forum previously, there are threads which have actually congratulated/elevated to celebrity status, people taking illegal drugs!!

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:41 - Feb 22 with 791 viewsBenters

If you were prime minister what trivial laws/initiatives would you bring in? on 11:28 - Feb 22 by Ryorry

Yeah but drugs are cool man

Gentlybentley

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024