Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why does the news have to be so graphic? 13:28 - Mar 9 with 1912 viewsMattinLondon

I’m not easily shocked or a prude or someone who gets offended at the drop of the hat. But why does the news (on all sides) have to be so graphic? Using CCTV or privately shot film of terrorists in the middle of shooting innocent civilians. Or showing mothers hugging their dead children who were murdered in Africa.

I don’t understand why the news have to be so sensational — yes, attitudes have previously been changed due to shock-tactics but showing dead bodies simply to enhance the story seems wrong to me. Just wondered what others felt.
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:33 - Mar 9 with 1488 viewsGlasgowBlue

Because it brings home the reality of the situation. Real life isn't like the movies.

How many people are moved to do good deeds after witnessing graphic scenes on the news.?Quite a few I would imagine.

Remember footage of three-year-old Alan Kurdi being washed up on the coast of Kos? It moved governments to take action on a situation that they had previously ignored.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:36 - Mar 9 with 1472 viewsgiant_stow

Totally agree. The Standard's site had a video of some young lad getting stabbed multiple times the other day (apparently - I didn't view it, but the still was grim enough). Why? Who benefits from seeing that? No one - just report it, we don't have to see it happen.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 13:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:39 - Mar 9 with 1430 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

They only do it if the victims aren't white...white dead bodies require more sensibility !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:39 - Mar 9 with 1436 viewsDolly2.0

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:36 - Mar 9 by giant_stow

Totally agree. The Standard's site had a video of some young lad getting stabbed multiple times the other day (apparently - I didn't view it, but the still was grim enough). Why? Who benefits from seeing that? No one - just report it, we don't have to see it happen.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 13:37]

Glassers makes a good point above.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:39 - Mar 9 with 1435 viewsjeera

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:33 - Mar 9 by GlasgowBlue

Because it brings home the reality of the situation. Real life isn't like the movies.

How many people are moved to do good deeds after witnessing graphic scenes on the news.?Quite a few I would imagine.

Remember footage of three-year-old Alan Kurdi being washed up on the coast of Kos? It moved governments to take action on a situation that they had previously ignored.

Awareness is a fair point, agree, but it does feel disrespectful to see someone's dead body strewn over the news too.

All about the context I suppose.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:41 - Mar 9 with 1415 viewsgiant_stow

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:39 - Mar 9 by Dolly2.0

Glassers makes a good point above.

In regards to the Syrian boy, yeah, i can just about see the point, although personally i'd rather not have that image in my mind - hugely upsetting.

What about these crime videos like I mention above though? They don't appear to serve any purpose other than appealing to our base instincts.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:50 - Mar 9 with 1370 viewsDolly2.0

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:41 - Mar 9 by giant_stow

In regards to the Syrian boy, yeah, i can just about see the point, although personally i'd rather not have that image in my mind - hugely upsetting.

What about these crime videos like I mention above though? They don't appear to serve any purpose other than appealing to our base instincts.

Maybe. Maybe it will lead to stricter punishments for knife crime, or more people supporting anti knife crime initiatives, for example.

Another example I can think of is when footage was released of a chap speeding on his motorbike (from his helmet cam)... leading to the crash that killed him. It was quite disturbing to watch, but his family asked for it to be released to encourage others not to speed.

I think these things should be shown if there is footage, not hide it or try to sugar-coat it because some people might be upset. You don't have to watch it, and news broadcasters usually warn if there's something of a graphic nature about to be shown.

Showing the grim realities of life is the best way to bring about change.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:53 - Mar 9 with 1348 viewsJ2BLUE

Real life isn't like the movies.

This.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:57 - Mar 9 with 1328 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:41 - Mar 9 by giant_stow

I have a 16 year old boy who knows no fear. He has no problem walking home late at night over the weekend.

I would want him to see something like the stabbings you mention to bring home the harsh reality and perhaps bite his lip next time somebody says something out of line.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:07 - Mar 9 with 1306 viewsGuthrum

Moreover the hiding of the realities of death behind a veil is a relatively recent phenomenon, a convention dating from the early days of television.

People wouldn't see dead bodies on TV, but they were quite likely to encounter than in real life. Bodies were laid out at home before funerals. Death from illness and misadventure was much more common. There were two great wars in the 20th century, which included attacks on the UK itself and many young adults directly involved in the fighting.

Going back a bit further, the chances of all a family's children surviving to adulthood was extremely low.

Visibility of death has become taboo in much the same way sex was before the '80s.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:07 - Mar 9 with 1305 viewsgiant_stow

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 13:57 - Mar 9 by GlasgowBlue

I have a 16 year old boy who knows no fear. He has no problem walking home late at night over the weekend.

I would want him to see something like the stabbings you mention to bring home the harsh reality and perhaps bite his lip next time somebody says something out of line.

gawd, its a sh1tty world.

Its tricky to argue with that and maybe seeing it might be more powerful than telling him about it. But do you not think that making the viewing of such violence mainstream and normal somehow loses it's impact in any case?

Again, the Standard seems to make a habit of this - a few weeks back, it was a video of some gangland thing where someone got run over and then beaten to death. It cheapens life to show stuff like this regularly.

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:12 - Mar 9 with 1273 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:07 - Mar 9 by giant_stow

gawd, its a sh1tty world.

Its tricky to argue with that and maybe seeing it might be more powerful than telling him about it. But do you not think that making the viewing of such violence mainstream and normal somehow loses it's impact in any case?

Again, the Standard seems to make a habit of this - a few weeks back, it was a video of some gangland thing where someone got run over and then beaten to death. It cheapens life to show stuff like this regularly.

I think so long as warnings are given and the viewer is over 16 then it's fine. I wouldn't want my other kids seeing that sort of stuff.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:15 - Mar 9 with 1266 viewsMattinLondon

I take your point but does it mean that the next time that there is a bush fire in Australia the news will show Australians being burnt alive in order to bring home the reality of the situation?
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:19 - Mar 9 with 1250 viewsNorthstaNder

I will never forget the image of that poor little boy. I have a little lad who looks remarkably similar and is a similar age. It just made me think of him. It looked he was asleep.

I sat and looked at that photo at work and blubbed like a good 'un. Such a horrendous situation that people feel desperate enough to risk their families (and their own) lives.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 14:21]
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:24 - Mar 9 with 1220 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:15 - Mar 9 by MattinLondon

I take your point but does it mean that the next time that there is a bush fire in Australia the news will show Australians being burnt alive in order to bring home the reality of the situation?

I think seeing people's homes being engulfed in flames brings home the reality of that particular situation.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:31 - Mar 9 with 1198 viewsBluebell

Another thing I dislike seeing are reporters interviewing the relatives of a daughter/
son/mother/father who have just died or been murdered.

What is that all about? It is obvious they will be distraught. Why make it worse? I sometimes wonder why they agree to such interviews but I know reporters can be very persuasive.
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:34 - Mar 9 with 1184 viewsJ2BLUE

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:31 - Mar 9 by Bluebell

Another thing I dislike seeing are reporters interviewing the relatives of a daughter/
son/mother/father who have just died or been murdered.

What is that all about? It is obvious they will be distraught. Why make it worse? I sometimes wonder why they agree to such interviews but I know reporters can be very persuasive.

Could just be a way to get rid of them.

When I come to power the media will be banned from stalking people like they do.

Truly impaired.

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:35 - Mar 9 with 1173 viewsMattinLondon

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:24 - Mar 9 by GlasgowBlue

I think seeing people's homes being engulfed in flames brings home the reality of that particular situation.

How about people being engulfed in flames as well as their homes?
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:36 - Mar 9 with 1160 viewsJ2BLUE

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:35 - Mar 9 by MattinLondon

You're taking this to the extreme. As GB said, their houses on fire makes the point.

Truly impaired.

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:36 - Mar 9 with 1156 viewsMattinLondon

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:34 - Mar 9 by J2BLUE

Could just be a way to get rid of them.

When I come to power the media will be banned from stalking people like they do.

Whats your timeframe in terms of coming into power?
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:37 - Mar 9 with 1147 viewsJ2BLUE

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:36 - Mar 9 by MattinLondon

Whats your timeframe in terms of coming into power?

I want Gummer's job within a decade.

May's within two.

Truly impaired.

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:39 - Mar 9 with 1141 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:35 - Mar 9 by MattinLondon

You're being silly now.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:52 - Mar 9 with 1089 viewsWeWereZombies

Compared with the television news in the early 1970s when footage of Vietnam War skirmishes and civilian casualties were often part of broadcasts I find that most news reports today feel sanitised and parochial, most foreign news is just not reported in the mainstream.

On the other hand, reportage of sexual predators back then was euphemistic at best and often shelved, and helped in part to give creeps like Jimmy Saville free reign.

The more complete and faithful to what has actually happened news media is, and the more soberly we as recipients of news take it, the better the feedback into a well ordered society. Points above about the sensationalising of violence are also relevant but the self censorship and dumbing down that set in around twenty five years ago in Britain (and sounds like it has always been extant in the USA and Australia) has been counter productive.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 14:54]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 15:50 - Mar 9 with 994 viewsjontysnut

Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 14:52 - Mar 9 by WeWereZombies

Compared with the television news in the early 1970s when footage of Vietnam War skirmishes and civilian casualties were often part of broadcasts I find that most news reports today feel sanitised and parochial, most foreign news is just not reported in the mainstream.

On the other hand, reportage of sexual predators back then was euphemistic at best and often shelved, and helped in part to give creeps like Jimmy Saville free reign.

The more complete and faithful to what has actually happened news media is, and the more soberly we as recipients of news take it, the better the feedback into a well ordered society. Points above about the sensationalising of violence are also relevant but the self censorship and dumbing down that set in around twenty five years ago in Britain (and sounds like it has always been extant in the USA and Australia) has been counter productive.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 14:54]

Yes Vietnam images still stick in my mind - the girl running down the road having been napalmed and the guy being shot in the head. Also the monk who set fire to himself? Nowadays everyone's got a camera and you start to get a bit immune
Why does the news have to be so graphic? on 16:16 - Mar 9 with 936 viewsSwansea_Blue

News agencies don't do it with a view to promoting people to do good deeds. They do it to sell their product.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024